The Student Room Group

Most young Arabs against ISIS

A new poll revealed in the Washington Post shows big majorities of young Arabs against the Islamic State.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/islamic-state-getting-trounced-in-battle-for-arab-hearts-and-minds-survey-finds/2016/04/11/71c32774-0024-11e6-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_usmiddleeast-305am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory (Washington Post paywalls after a number of page views.)

The new poll, based on face-to-face interviews with 3,500 respondents ages 18 to 24, suggests that young Arabs are both increasingly fearful of the terrorist group and less swayed by its propaganda, compared with previous years. More than half the participants ranked the Islamic State as the No. 1 problem facing the Middle East, and 3 out of 4 said they believed that the group would ultimately fail in its quest to establish an Islamic caliphate in Iraq and Syria.

Apologies in advance for not fitting in with the usual TSR Muslim-bashing agenda. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Apologies in advance for not fitting in with the usual TSR Muslim-bashing agenda. :rolleyes:

Yet you conflate "Arab" with "Muslim". :rolleyes:
Original post by AJ KO
Yet you conflate "Arab" with "Muslim". :rolleyes:

It's nice to see you at the thread, I assume you wanted to get inb4 the considerate and reasoned comments?
Reply 3
It's nice to see you at the thread

No response to what I actually said?

Quelle surprise. :moon:
Reply 4
Good. Because anyone who supports IS needs a serious psychological evaluation.
I wish the survey also asked what they think of their own government....
Reply 6
Conflating Arabs with Muslims is more offensive than any of the threads critical of Islam on here, imo.

Typical regressive.
A survey which shows that non white people are against ISIS as well? Shock, horror. The inner UKIP in me is furious that not all arabs are supporting ISIS and trying to steal our jobs.
Also don't forgot climate change is a hoax.
Original post by AJ KO
Conflating Arabs with Muslims is more offensive than any of the threads critical of Islam on here, imo.

Typical regressive.

Oh nonsense, I don't conflate them - the thread title says most young Arabs against and that's what the survey says. You know perfectly well that my comment about Muslims is intended as a joke, but I get why far right people hang around these threads constantly trying to stir up race hate against Arabs and religious hate against Muslims and I was mocking the way they often conflate the two.
Original post by humanteaparty
A survey which shows that non white people are against ISIS as well? Shock, horror. The inner UKIP in me is furious that not all arabs are supporting ISIS and trying to steal our jobs.
Also don't forgot climate change is a hoax.

When you get a sec, can you polish a tinfoil hat for me too please. :teehee:
Original post by MildredMalone
I wish the survey also asked what they think of their own government....

I agree and it would have been interesting to get the answer in many Arab states.
Reply 11
Oh nonsense, I don't conflate them - the thread title says most young Arabs against and that's what the survey says. You know perfectly well that my comment about Muslims is intended as a joke

A "joke" that conflated Arabs with Muslims, yes.

but I get why far right people hang around these threads

"far right" - I'm a member of the Liberal Democrats :moon:
I wonder how many people will question the methodology of this poll. :rolleyes:
Arab doesn't mean Muslim, 3500 isn't a very large number from which to make generalizations on Muslim opinion, being against ISIS doesn't mean that they aren't in favor of some other Islamic group like Boko haram, it also doesn't mean they don't support violence or slavery or rape or any of the other wonderful things many Muslims believe Islam calls them to do.............. I could go on.

This is clearly just completely bias propaganda, the data and presentation, worse still is that it's completely transparent. A person can see right through it at a moments glance, why post it as if it some sort of accolade for the Muslim community?
Original post by AJ KO
No response to what I actually said?

She responded, it's just you're not very bright so you didn't get it.

Can see you were triggered by this thread :lol:
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Arab doesn't mean Muslim, 3500 isn't a very large number from which to make generalizations on Muslim opinion, being against ISIS doesn't mean that they aren't in favor of some other Islamic group like Boko haram, it also doesn't mean they don't support violence or slavery or rape or any of the other wonderful things many Muslims believe Islam calls them to do.............. I could go on.

This is clearly just completely bias propaganda, the data and presentation, worse still is that it's completely transparent. A person can see right through it at a moments glance, why post it as if it some sort of accolade for the Muslim community?

It isn't about Muslim opinion and it doesn't pretend to be and neither does my thread.

The survey has been pulled together by an international panel of academics and looks very rigorous.
http://www.arabyouthsurvey.com/en/home

The rest of your post I'm ignoring as it's nonsense to claim that it's propaganda. The 'propaganda' point of my thread, if there is one, is that the usual blizzard of far-right hate against Arabs and Muslims displayed on TSR is not well supported by the facts, particularly the common allegation that "they all support terrorists".
This page is interesting, it shows the top 10 findings of the survey.
http://www.arabyouthsurvey.com/en/findings
A new poll revealed in the Washington Post shows big majorities of young Arabs against the Islamic State.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/islamic-state-getting-trounced-in-battle-for-arab-hearts-and-minds-survey-finds/2016/04/11/71c32774-0024-11e6-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_usmiddleeast-305am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory (Washington Post paywalls after a number of page views.)

The title of the article could be rephrased as

More than 1/5 of young arabs support the Islamic state.

Still shocking.
Original post by HanSoloLuck

What exactly is wrong with Arabs showing dislike towards ISIS? 'they aren't Muslims' is not valid, thats like saying that black atheists can't criticise the KKK

The rest of your post I'm ignoring

Well I'll do the same for the rest of your posts then, you are clearly just looking for an opportunity to sprout your propaganda. This is what people with propaganda do, they ignore criticisms and just keep on talking about nonsense stats.

Only an idiot would be convinced by this thread or this survey or by you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending