The Student Room Group

What to do with A*AE grades?

Well I have my A Levels in just over a month, and I really need advice.

Two of my subjects I'm incredibly confident with, having achieved A's at AS Level in each of them but my maths has been stuck at a level of U/E for the entirety of my Sixth Form life. I achieved an A in Year 10 GCSE but have been unable to score above an E in any assessment, and achieved a low E grade at AS level.

My grades are likely to be A*AE or AAE, and I have no idea what do to and would like advice on what to do from here on out. My university offers are at ABB, which is unattainable due to the E in Maths and it's really frustrating that my A's are worthless because of my maths grades.

Anyhow, how can I go about getting into university at an AAA-ABB grade course? Can I retake Edexcel Maths next year on a gap year? Should I focus solely on maths for the next month until my first exams and hope I suddenly understand it all? Could I reapply next year and take another A-Level over a gap year?

I really need advice, thanks.
Hey if you think you will get the E, you will actually get it. Stop having negative thoughts and go do some revision. Confession is possession.
Original post by maggie43
Hey if you think you will get the E, you will actually get it. Stop having negative thoughts and go do some revision. Confession is possession.

Thanks for you reply.

I forgot to add that I'm in my second year of A-Levels. I just finished a past paper of C1 (the first maths unit) and got 35/75, an E. I have 5 weeks to bring 5 maths modules up three grades, and I also have to maintain my A's in my other two subjects.

Honestly, I think it's impossible. Should I get AAE, what are my options?
I do Maths as well. i dont really think you want to take a gap year yet you have been given the opportunity to improve now. Start now. I am retaking all my AS modules. So i have 6 units in total.
Reply 4
If u do badly just resit maths next year
Original post by throwaway1234567
Thanks for you reply.

I forgot to add that I'm in my second year of A-Levels. I just finished a past paper of C1 (the first maths unit) and got 35/75, an E. I have 5 weeks to bring 5 maths modules up three grades, and I also have to maintain my A's in my other two subjects.

Honestly, I think it's impossible. Should I get AAE, what are my options?

There is obviously something wrong with your revision, perhaps you do not actually understand the concepts involved in C1, and are attempting to "remember" certain principles and rules and just directly applying them. In order to do well you need to UNDERSTAND why you are doing certain things, also when re attempting maths papers try not remember what you did last time, so if you do the question again that way you'd know if you are doing it correctly.
Original post by throwaway1234567
Well I have my A Levels in just over a month, and I really need advice.

Two of my subjects I'm incredibly confident with, having achieved A's at AS Level in each of them but my maths has been stuck at a level of U/E for the entirety of my Sixth Form life. I achieved an A in Year 10 GCSE but have been unable to score above an E in any assessment, and achieved a low E grade at AS level.

My grades are likely to be A*AE or AAE, and I have no idea what do to and would like advice on what to do from here on out. My university offers are at ABB, which is unattainable due to the E in Maths and it's really frustrating that my A's are worthless because of my maths grades.

Anyhow, how can I go about getting into university at an AAA-ABB grade course? Can I retake Edexcel Maths next year on a gap year? Should I focus solely on maths for the next month until my first exams and hope I suddenly understand it all? Could I reapply next year and take another A-Level over a gap year?

I really need advice, thanks.

Personally, I'd suggest doing only Solomon series papers, and saving a few of the original Edexcel papers for timed conditions, doing Solomon series will help you greatly as it requires different style of thinking due to the difficulty, so this way when you do the original Edexcel papers they should be piss easy! Good luck!

Quick Reply