The Student Room Group

What is it with muslim people and wanting to study medicine?

I'm in year 11 at school and there are 15 people who I know of that want to study medicine. Out of these 15 people, 13 of them are muslim. There's not even a lot of muslim people in my year (maybe 15% of my year?).
Not trying to stereotype or anything just noticed that muslims love their medicine?, or maybe its looked favourably upon by there families?, or we white people just don't want to study medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by humanteaparty
There's not even a lot of muslim people in my year (maybe 15% of my year?).
Not trying to stereotype or anything just noticed that muslims love their medicine?, or maybe its looked favourably upon by there families?, or we white people just don't want to study medicine?

Or you're basing it entirely off of a sample size of 15 people so it might be pure coincidence?
Reply 3
I'm going to let my Biology Textbook answer you.

The problem with using a small sample size is that it is not representative of the population, it does not allow clear identification of anomalous results and it doesn't permit the use of a statistical test.

Nevertheless let's have a go.

Null Hypothesis: There is no difference in the number of people interested in medicine depending on religion.

Let's see here.
Applying my Chi Squared Test, we square the differences, then sum it... mhm good...carry the two, add four, then divide by the original number... yes yes yes... round it to three s.f.

Aha, it's lower than the critical value.
So the probability the results are due to chance is greater than 0.05 so we must accept our null hypothesis.

Time for some soup.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Or you're basing it entirely off of a sample size of 15 people so it might be pure coincidence?

I'm in year 11 at school and there are 15 people who I know of that want to study medicine. Out of these 15 people, 13 of them are muslim. There's not even a lot of muslim people in my year (maybe 15% of my year?).

As a Muslim, I speak from experience if I became a doctor this will bring extreme honour upon my family and this would make me well educated. Yes usually Muslim parents wish their children to pursue medicine or engineering for some reason.

Maybe they're just smarter, more hard-working and have more potential than you.
Original post by jenigma

Jheez you went all out!
Reply 8
Are they also Asian by any chance?
We only get two choices- medicine or engineering or else we are failures.
Original post by jenigma

Man that was savage. i wasn't trying to insult them its just an observation I made.
Original post by zXcodeXz
As a Muslim, I speak from experience if I became a doctor this will bring extreme honour upon my family and this would make me well educated. Yes usually Muslim parents wish their children to pursue medicine or engineering for some reason.

I second this, as a non-muslim, but with many muslim friends on my university course which leads to pharmacy.

Original post by jenigma

Don't be snarky. They've said that they don't want to stereotype.

OP, I have seen the same thing. Though I don't necessarily think it's a Muslim thing, it's more of an Asian thing, it's just more likely that most of the Asians you know are Muslims.

Most Asian families encourage a culture of academic excellence, and want their children to get high paying jobs.
Original post by ForestShadow

Are you like the TSR meme king lol
it's a doctor or nothing in some asian families

thankfully mine didn't put any emphasis on a job role, just said do good in school :tongue:
Original post by ForestShadow

But its the only sample size I can work with! Forgive me senpai.
because Muslims are smarter academically :u:
I agree with the inconclusive sample size, but also that if they're Asian, it is almost certainly a cultural thing. Even other Muslims can have the same expectations had of them.

They are usually stuck with the notion that these select few aspirations and career paths are the ones that are most (and even exclusively) noble and lucrative.

I'm speaking from personal experience.
Original post by HAnwar

*raises hand* FAILURE PRESENT. :teehee:
Original post by HAnwar

Hmmm I also know a few muslim friends who want to be engineers. 'Puts on tin foil hat' ITS A CONSPIRACY.
Original post by carrotstar
I second this, as a non-muslim, but with many muslim friends on my university course which leads to pharmacy.

What are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest