The Student Room Group

Working for local MP

I really want to do some work experience with my local MP and I'm wondering how I do it? Do I email their office with a CV? Or just why it would benefit me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by humanteaparty
I really want to do some work experience with my local MP and I'm wondering how I do it? Do I email their office with a CV? Or just why it would benefit me?

You need to see if they have spaces first.
Original post by jamestg
You need to see if they have spaces first.

Ok do I email them asking if they have places than?
Ok do I email them asking if they have places than?

I'd recommend emailing your MP or their secretary, explaining why you want work experience and how that relates to your uni/career plans. I would also probably mention that you would be grateful for any experience they could offer, even if it was just a couple of days shadowing the MP.
Reply 4

Hi, I'm also doing work experience with my MP. I would advise you to email their office by writing a brief covering letter as to why you want to do work experience with him/her and attach your CV to the email. Also, I would advise you to find alternative work experience placements just in case they don't accept you.
Original post by Charlotte49
I'd recommend emailing your MP or their secretary, explaining why you want work experience and how that relates to your uni/career plans. I would also probably mention that you would be grateful for any experience they could offer, even if it was just a couple of days shadowing the MP.

Ok thank you.
Original post by JTran38
Hi, I'm also doing work experience with my MP. I would advise you to email their office by writing a brief covering letter as to why you want to do work experience with him/her and attach your CV to the email. Also, I would advise you to find alternative work experience placements just in case they don't accept you.

Thanks :smile:. I'm only 16 and haven't properly wrote a CV yet so I need to get on that.
Reply 7
Thanks :smile:. I'm only 16 and haven't properly wrote a CV yet so I need to get on that.

I'm 15, turning 16 in November. Just make sure your CV is typed up properly and structured nicely in a readable font and you should be fine. :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
I'm 15, turning 16 in November. Just make sure your CV is typed up properly and structured nicely in a readable font and you should be fine. :biggrin:

For my CV I haven't had any political experience before. So could I write about that and how I want to get some insight to how things work at the top level?
For my CV I haven't had any political experience before. So could I write about that and how I want to get some insight to how things work at the top level?

CV is more your contact details, education history (maybe include your predicted grades), other work experience, volunteering and references, which probably won't be necessary for this position.

You're probably better off writing a covering letter instead. That way you can explain your situation more clearly and also include all your contact info.
Reply 10

Yeah that will do for the work experience section.
Original post by Charlotte49
CV is more your contact details, education history (maybe include your predicted grades), other work experience, volunteering and references, which probably won't be necessary for this position.

You're probably better off writing a covering letter instead. That way you can explain your situation more clearly and also include all your contact info.

Ok thanks for the help. :smile:
Ok thanks for the help. :smile:

W4mpjobs is the place to go for this stuff but as you are so young as others have suggested it may be wiser to simply email your MP asking for shadowing experience

Quick Reply

Latest