The Student Room Group

Head boy interview speech....HELP!

I have been told to give a 3 min speech on how I think I improve my school as head boy. Any ideas will be very appreciated....but I was thinking to start off with a short notice on why I want to be headboynmainky because the school has done so much for me and now I have to return the favours and help my peers but any recommendations? Thanks for the help in advance :smile:
Original post by Omkar Kerkar
I have been told to give a 3 min speech on how I think I improve my school as head boy. Any ideas will be very appreciated....but I was thinking to start off with a short notice on why I want to be headboynmainky because the school has done so much for me and now I have to return the favours and help my peers but any recommendations? Thanks for the help in advance :smile:

Who do you have to do the speech to? Your year group or teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Sorry about the late reply but I have to do 2 speeches in total: one being this one and the other being on an inspirational person. For this one however, I have to present to a pupil panel of 5 pupils and one teacher.
Original post by lilacpotato
Who do you have to do the speech to? Your year group or teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry about the late reply but I have to do 2 speeches in total: one being this one and the other being on an inspirational person. For this one however, I have to present to a pupil panel of 5 pupils and one teacher.

I would say make sure you say something about listening to other pupil's views and also being memorable is crucial. Pupils will remember you if you're funny/do something a bit different . Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently a Head Boy at my school.
Focus on saying exactly what they want to hear and how you are going to do it, maybe 3 big points that you want to put into action that have been popular requests thus far. Additionally, appeal to their funny side, but be careful not to force a joke resulting in an awkward silence. Evidence that you're an all-rounder with the students also helps; describe how you talk to the different types of students in the school. Do something unique, be it a presentation or video to show the effort you will put into the role - prepare your speech beforehand, try using cards or your memory, rather than reading from a A4 sheet that might create a barrier between speaker and audience. Also, let your personality shine through, use some personal examples that your panel can empathise with to boost your persuasion. E.g If you want to improve school meals, talk about how you and the students hated last lunch's meal.

Good Luck
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice As a matter of fact I do have 3 main points which I can use and I will surely put all of your advice into action. I had just one question as you are the present head boy, would you suggest that I should consider a handshake with all the pupils and the teachers in the room to make it slightly more professional or anything else I should do when I first enter the room?
I would say make sure you say something about listening to other pupil's views and also being memorable is crucial. Pupils will remember you if you're funny/do something a bit different . Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Afro Tail
I am currently a Head Boy at my school.
Focus on saying exactly what they want to hear and how you are going to do it, maybe 3 big points that you want to put into action that have been popular requests thus far. Additionally, appeal to their funny side, but be careful not to force a joke resulting in an awkward silence. Evidence that you're an all-rounder with the students also helps; describe how you talk to the different types of students in the school. Do something unique, be it a presentation or video to show the effort you will put into the role - prepare your speech beforehand, try using cards or your memory, rather than reading from a A4 sheet that might create a barrier between speaker and audience. Also, let your personality shine through, use some personal examples that your panel can empathise with to boost your persuasion. E.g If you want to improve school meals, talk about how you and the students hated last lunch's meal.

Good Luck
Reply 6
Thank you very much....much appreciated... I will make sure that I do add a bit of humour somewhere in my presentation

Posted from TSR Mobile
A handshake would be nice.
Reply 8
Noted...thanks for the confirmation :wink:
Original post by Afro Tail
A handshake would be nice.

Depends on who you're giving the speech to. If this speech is to school leaders then you should pinpoint precise issues with the school that are currently facing the student body. You do this by going around and asking people what their biggest issues with school are. You can show initiative by conducting an informal survey amongst the students. Get out of your group of friends and go talk to people you normally don't - they'll provide insights you never thought of and also stuff the school leaders are aware of.

On top of that, get on to your school website and find out the mission/vision of the school. Use the information you find from your survey to explain how your plans can help the school achieve its mission. If you talk about what the school has done for you that's ok, but it only makes for a good start. Good intentions are hardly enough to achieve something great. Be proactive and let them see that!

The key is taking action now and talking to people -- the school will view that as a sign of things to come. Second, by addressing the school values and mission and linking these two together, you'll be doing something the others surely won't. Good luck!
Original post by chunkyjooj
Depends on who you're giving the speech to. If this speech is to school leaders then you should pinpoint precise issues with the school that are currently facing the student body. You do this by going around and asking people what their biggest issues with school are. You can show initiative by conducting an informal survey amongst the students. Get out of your group of friends and go talk to people you normally don't - they'll provide insights you never thought of and also stuff the school leaders are aware of.

On top of that, get on to your school website and find out the mission/vision of the school. Use the information you find from your survey to explain how your plans can help the school achieve its mission. If you talk about what the school has done for you that's ok, but it only makes for a good start. Good intentions are hardly enough to achieve something great. Be proactive and let them see that!

The key is taking action now and talking to people -- the school will view that as a sign of things to come. Second, by addressing the school values and mission and linking these two together, you'll be doing something the others surely won't. Good luck!

I understand what you are saying but my presentation is tomorrow so I do not think I will be having the time for the survey, however I have got an idea....in my speech I will be talking about 3 types of growth: individual, growth as a community and overall growth as a school. I will be talking about each in detail by giving the school council an idea how to implement all the types of growth like I will be talking about pupil workshops and how certain pupils should be given the chance to teach others. This will change their mind set towards the positive and motivational scale. For growth as a community more inter- community competitions (Academic to be specific) For growth as a school I am suggesting adding more interesting clubs during lunch so that more people learn new things and so that the school performs better overall. The school motto is "Where Boys Learn Best" so I can link that to when I talk about the clubs. It could be like the conclusion to my presentation. Any views on that? And thank you for your advice....much appreciated!!
I understand what you are saying but my presentation is tomorrow so I do not think I will be having the time for the survey, however I have got an idea....in my speech I will be talking about 3 types of growth: individual, growth as a community and overall growth as a school. I will be talking about each in detail by giving the school council an idea how to implement all the types of growth like I will be talking about pupil workshops and how certain pupils should be given the chance to teach others. This will change their mind set towards the positive and motivational scale. For growth as a community more inter- community competitions (Academic to be specific) For growth as a school I am suggesting adding more interesting clubs during lunch so that more people learn new things and so that the school performs better overall. The school motto is "Where Boys Learn Best" so I can link that to when I talk about the clubs. It could be like the conclusion to my presentation. Any views on that? And thank you for your advice....much appreciated!!

I assume you'll be getting this the morning of the speech. It sounds like you've got a good plan. At this point, there's little more I have to suggets -- you've got it down! Good luck mate!
So what happened? I tend to prefer a bit more independent thought from those in leadership roles.
You are absolutely right about me having this one in the morning and its TODAY..... Thanks for the wishes though!!
Original post by chunkyjooj
I assume you'll be getting this the morning of the speech. It sounds like you've got a good plan. At this point, there's little more I have to suggets -- you've got it down! Good luck mate!
Havent done then yet.... Got it today :biggrin:
Original post by DrSocSciences
So what happened? I tend to prefer a bit more independent thought from those in leadership roles.
Havent done then yet.... Got it today :biggrin:

Ok. Good luck. Just be authentic.
Forgot to say Good Luck!

How did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest