The Student Room Group

cell membranes simple question

Which of the following is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane.

Cell to cell signalling, partially permeable membrane, site of chemical reactions, transport of substances across membrane
site of chemical reactions.

^^ it happens in the cytoplasm not the membrane
Reply 2
image.jpg
Original post by alkaline.

But my book says (last point on membranes within cells).
Reply 3
Original post by RiahDawson
Which of the following is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane.

Cell to cell signalling, partially permeable membrane, site of chemical reactions, transport of substances across membrane

Partially permeable membrane?

That's a feature, not a function
Reply 4
Technically, your book is right BUT its not a function of the membrane as its mainly works as a barrier. But it does reactions such as in respiration the electron transport chain moves hydrogen ions across the membrane to generate ATP but generally I would've said the second thing you listed was untrue as its a feature not a function. Also, the cytoplasm is the MAIN site of chemical reactions
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg

I did consider that, does it definitely transport substances across the membrane?
Reply 6
I did consider that, does it definitely transport substances across the membrane?

Is that even a question?!

Of course it does! Protein channels etc...
Reply 7
Original post by Jehaan
Technically, your book is right BUT its not a function of the membrane as its mainly works as a barrier. But it does reactions such as in respiration the electron transport chain moves hydrogen ions across the membrane to generate ATP but generally I would've said the second thing you listed was untrue as its a feature not a function. Also, the cytoplasm is the MAIN site of chemical reactions

Okay thank you, that makes sense I'm going to go with partially permeable membrane not being a function.
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg
Is that even a question?!

Of course it does! Protein channels etc...

I was just making sure. I know it does for the surface membrane but wasnt sure if its the same thing for the membranes within cells around organelles.
oh ****.. I really need to get the revision guide huh I didn't even know that :/
image.jpg

But my book says (last point on membranes within cells).

Membranes within cells is referring to the membranes of some organelles, not the cell membrane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alkaline.

Original post by jamestg

Original post by Jehaan

If anyone's curious the answer is "cell to
Cell signalling" this is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane becaus this membrane is around organelles. Organelles are not involved cell to cell signalling. Organelles are not cells.
Reply 12
If anyone's curious the answer is "cell to
Cell signalling" this is NOT a function of the intercellular membrane becaus this membrane is around organelles. Organelles are not involved cell to cell signalling. Organelles are not cells.

Intercellular membranes?

Do you mean intracellular membranes? as that refers to organelles.

If you really do mean intercellular membranes (which actually doesn't make sense, it's just cellular membranes), then cell membranes can still participate in cell-signalling.
Original post by RMNDK
Intercellular membranes?

Do you mean intracellular membranes? as that refers to organelles.

If you really do mean intercellular membranes (which actually doesn't make sense, it's just cellular membranes), then cell membranes can still participate in cell-signalling.

I meant intRAcellular that was autocorrect.
I meant intRAcellular that was autocorrect.

Don't call intracellular membranes "cell membranes."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending