The Student Room Group

Biochemistry to medicine, which module is better?

Infection and Immunity or Systems Pharmacology?

Which module is best if you're looking for a future career in medicine?
Most schools will ask that your BSc Biomedical Science has a sufficient amount of chemistry modules (how they determine that is a mystery). Biochemistry usually has sufficient modules on chemistry so that's that really. If you're asking about which may be more beneficial once you get to medicine, the answer is both would. Don't know what your universities "Systems Pharmacology" consists of but I'll assume its generic Year 1/2 Pharma stuff. Basically do what you like best. I went down the immune system route for my BSc.
Reply 2
Original post by DarkTitan
Most schools will ask that your BSc Biomedical Science has a sufficient amount of chemistry modules (how they determine that is a mystery). Biochemistry usually has sufficient modules on chemistry so that's that really. If you're asking about which may be more beneficial once you get to medicine, the answer is both would. Don't know what your universities "Systems Pharmacology" consists of but I'll assume its generic Year 1/2 Pharma stuff. Basically do what you like best. I went down the immune system route for my BSc.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

They both appeal to me which is why I am having trouble deciding.

Let me give a bit more detail

Systems Pharmacology
Detailed pharmacology and clinical uses of drugs, acting on a range of physiological systems (typically, cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, renal, endocrine and musculoskeletal) in health and disease. The module team will use cutting edge research material in order to underpin module content. The module content will also integrate with, and apply knowledge from, other cognate level 5 modules.

Infection and Immunity
An overview of pathogenic microorganisms, the factors which contribute to their virulence and pathogenicity, and the diseases they cause will be combined with an overview of the human immune system, its evolutionary development and its interactions with those microorganisms. The different components of the immune system will be covered in depth and consideration given to the roles of different leucocytes and effector molecules in the immune response including the key features and effectors of inflammation. Alongside consideration of the roles of the immune system in the elimination of microorganisms other key roles of the immune system will be considered including wound healing, immuno- surveillance and the immune response to malignancy/ cellular abnormality.

Would you still recommend the second one?
Being neutral I would recommend that you chose which you would find most interesting/ gain best marks in.

I had covered pharmacology at level 4 and the immune system at level 5 (both which were compulsory). Later at level 6 I took immunology as an optional module again because I personally found it to be more interesting, wanted to go deeper into the discipline, appreciated the immune system in the context of my degree (biochemistry thus interest in protein interactions and immune system is largely about protein interactions) and my personal interest in cancer (Tumour in the micro environment).

If you find that you are equally interested and think you will do equally well in either, choose the one you haven't yet covered in year 1 (level 4). That way you know what to chose for year 3 (level 6) and will have at least a taste of both disciplines by the end of your degree and when you enter medicine have prior knowledge to draw from.

Your main priority is gaining a 1st (if not then at the very least 2:1) and a large appreciation of the wide variety of Biomedical sciences. Biochemistry is one of the widely accepted alternative pathways into medicine. I wouldn't dwell to much on what will make you look best as a medicine applicant module selection wise, admissions wont care. Only that you done your degree, have a good/sufficient chemistry component (again, how they determine that is anybody's guess), and achieved 2:1 (or for some schools they only consider if you got a 1st).
Reply 4
Original post by DarkTitan
Being neutral I would recommend that you chose which you would find most interesting/ gain best marks in.

I had covered pharmacology at level 4 and the immune system at level 5 (both which were compulsory). Later at level 6 I took immunology as an optional module again because I personally found it to be more interesting, wanted to go deeper into the discipline, appreciated the immune system in the context of my degree (biochemistry thus interest in protein interactions and immune system is largely about protein interactions) and my personal interest in cancer (Tumour in the micro environment).

If you find that you are equally interested and think you will do equally well in either, choose the one you haven't yet covered in year 1 (level 4). That way you know what to chose for year 3 (level 6) and will have at least a taste of both disciplines by the end of your degree and when you enter medicine have prior knowledge to draw from.

Your main priority is gaining a 1st (if not then at the very least 2:1) and a large appreciation of the wide variety of Biomedical sciences. Biochemistry is one of the widely accepted alternative pathways into medicine. I wouldn't dwell to much on what will make you look best as a medicine applicant module selection wise, admissions wont care. Only that you done your degree, have a good/sufficient chemistry component (again, how they determine that is anybody's guess), and achieved 2:1 (or for some schools they only consider if you got a 1st).

Thanks a lot, that was very useful.

I didn't do either of those modules in year one, though I did have the option to pick pharmacology but I didn't as it didn't appeal to me. This year the module looks quite interesting. However I don't really think it's for people who want to go down the medicine route (which is what I'm interested in).

I guess I'll take your word for it and pick immunity :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending