The Student Room Group

What grading do you prefer? 1-9? A*-U?

What grading do you prefer?
1-9? OR A*-U? And why?

Thank youu! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

A*-U. I'd expect an A* to be the top grade whereas I'd be likely to think a 1 was the best for the 1-9 system. A*-U seems to make more sense.
Original post by glassriver
A*-U. I'd expect an A* to be the top grade whereas I'd be likely to think a 1 was the best for the 1-9 system. A*-U seems to make more sense.

I agree, I struggle to get my head round the new system and feel it will take quite a few years for it to feel normal for everyone. If you told someone you got a 7 they'd have no idea what you were on about, but if you told someone you got a B they would understand completely. I think we just don't like it because it's new and because the old system working just fine, I personally don't see why they needed to change it
For me, A*-U because I have a higher chance of getting (scraping) A*s rather than 1s. I'd be indistinguishable from the actual geniuses who also got A* but with 100%.

EDIT: I say that achieving A* is easier than 1 because I think 1 will be equivalent to like an A**
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
I agree, I struggle to get my head round the new system and feel it will take quite a few years for it to feel normal for everyone. If you told someone you got a 7 they'd have no idea what you were on about, but if you told someone you got a B they would understand completely. I think we just don't like it because it's new and because the old system working just fine, I personally don't see why they needed to change it

I think they should go completely one way or another to be honest as some people I know are getting graded as a 6 in one subject and an A in another, which just serves to make it more confusing

Is it that deep lol? How hard is it to just learn that 1 is worst and 9 is best?
Original post by z_o_e
What grading do you prefer?
1-9? OR A*-U? And why?

Thank youu! :biggrin:

A*-U makes much more sense
I think they should go completely one way or another to be honest as some people I know are getting graded as a 6 in one subject and an A in another, which just serves to make it more confusing

Yeah, I know people who are in situations like that, I manage to avoid the change luckily but I have a couple of friends in the year below who will have 1-9 for English and maths, and then A*-U for the others, and they really don't understand it at all. Plus it's going to seem really bizarre if some qualifications are graded with numbers and some with letters. They definitely should have changed it all in one go though, because it's more confusing as you said when some is one and the rest is another
A* - U
makes more sense since it is what everybody in the country is used to. Also, if you told someone in, say Spain, that you got an A, they would actually understand what you're on about. Tell them you got an 8 and no one else apart from us will know what that means etc.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Is it that deep lol? How hard is it to just learn that 1 is worst and 9 is best?

It's not just that, it's how we know what say a D or an A represent, but with the new system it's more complicated, and you can't even put a letter to a number as there are more numbers. And I wonder why they decided the top grade would be nine, and not 10, or 8
A* - U because the numbers seem to make it sound worse somehow if you get a low grade. :biggrin: Plus, I don't see any reason to change it. Everyone understands how it works, so there's no point.
Original post by surina16
A* - U
makes more sense since it is what everybody in the country is used to. Also, if you told someone in, say Spain, that you got an A, they would actually understand what you're on about. Tell them you got an 8 and no one else apart from us will know what that means etc.

In some countries which have number grade systems, 1 is actually the best, so if you tell someone you got a 9 in, say, Germany, they might get the wrong idea...
I'm used to the letters but many other European countries have the numbering system. Theirs is slightly different but generally it makes perfect sense. I quite like the numbers. I don't understand why they needed to change it though..
Reply 13
Sounds better to say that you got 5 A* or whatever you have than to say I got 5 9s
In some countries which have number grade systems, 1 is actually the best, so if you tell someone you got a 9 in, say, Germany, they might get the wrong idea...

really? wow lol. At least make a number system that correlates with those of other countries instead of doing the complete opposite...:confused:
maybe they use numbers so you can get a 'mean' grade or something.

so if you got 4 9s, 5 8s and a 7, your mean grade would be 8.3

so you can compare more easily??

Spoiler

Oh gosh, that makes it even more confusing lol, you would've thought they would've lined it up with other countries somehow at least
It's not just that, it's how we know what say a D or an A represent, but with the new system it's more complicated, and you can't even put a letter to a number as there are more numbers. And I wonder why they decided the top grade would be nine, and not 10, or 8

meh

people will get used to it
Reply 18
They're both crap. I advocate using the Greek alphabet.
α\alpha to λ\lambda. λ\lambda being the best, because giraffes.

Quick Reply

Latest