The Student Room Group

My GCSE journey

Hi all,

I've seen many of these threads around and how motivational they are! I've also heard how motivational they are for the person and I think this will help me keep on track and keep me motivated for my GCSE's!

However most of these threads are about getting all A*'s and nothing less. However I am not predicted any A*'s in face I'm predicted 4B's and 7A's. Although this is still high grades I'm still determined to get past these and hopefully get at least 2A*'s. So here is a list of my subjects and predicated grades and then what I want to get

English Language (AQA) - B (B)
English Literature (AQA) - B (B)
Maths (Edexcel) - A (A*)
Core Science (OCR Gateway) - B (A)
Additional Science (OCR Gateway) - A (A)
Business Studies (WJEC) - B (A)
History (AQA) - A (A)
Physical Education - A (A*)
Religious Studies - A (A)
Spanish - A (A)

The ones in brackets are what I want in that subject. Following on from this here are a few notes on how I find each subject and what I study for each one

English Language - Well pretty simply I struggle with section B of the exam (so question 5/6) however going from a D to a B in less than half of year is a massive achievement for me. I've never really been an English person I've always been a mathematical person. However my english teacher has been amazing this year and I'm happy with my progress

English Literature - So I study the conflict cluster from Moon on the Tides , I also study Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls. Same applies to English Lit for English Lang so yeah - never really got on with English in general :smile:

Maths - I've always been strong at maths however topics such as vectors are my weakest point in maths - however I do well in algebra and feel I should easily get an A and must push to the A* in it.

Core Science- I've always got on well with science however core science is harder as I have done this 2 years ago and can barely remember everything :smile: I do unit 1 and 2 for all 3 disciplines of science

Additional Science - same as core science really however for some strange reason I seem to like additional science a lot more although it is harder. For this I do unit 3 and 4 for all disciplines of science.

Business Studies - I have always gotten straight B's in business - nothing more nothing less, it's mainly my exam technique especially for the long answer questions - This is one of the options I'm hoping to take for A level

History - So I was kinda forced to take history by my school, it's really a love hate relationship. I don't particularly like history compared to my other subjects. However I've always gotten A's - I'll never know why!

Physical Education - This is one of my most favourite subjects and I want to pursue a career in sports. I feel I can get the A* for this subject and really hope I do. I have my moderation this Friday so I'm quite nervous however I'm sure I'll be okay - my theory is really strong and I am top of class - despite being a girl! This is also an option I'm hoping to take at A level and degree

Religious Studies - Where do I start? I sometimes can love this subject and at other times I hate it. I do unit 3 and unit 4 for AQA. Unit 3 topics: Medical Ethics, Elderly and Death, Drugs, Crime and Punishment. Unit 4: Existence of God, Problem of Evil and suffering, Morality, Miracles and Science and religion

Spanish - My listening and reading are both at A's with my listening at an A*. I don't mind Spanish it is one of the subjects I kind of like. We have a small class of 12 so it's a really good class.

So my A Level options are Business Studies, Psychology, Biology, and Sports Science.

Any revision tips are greatly appreciated and if you take any of these subjects please feel free to let me know how you are revising for these and we can share idea's! I will aim to post everyday. So hope you can join me on my journey! Off to revision!
Reply 1
So today I made notes on Hitler's Dictatorship and how he got there and also done half of P2 and started P4. Physics isn't really a strong point of mine. I also analysed Flag, so a productive day. Teacher training tomorrow so more revision to get done :smile:
Original post by _chloeematt
Hi all,

I've seen many of these threads around and how motivational they are! I've also heard how motivational they are for the person and I think this will help me keep on track and keep me motivated for my GCSE's!

However most of these threads are about getting all A*'s and nothing less. However I am not predicted any A*'s in face I'm predicted 4B's and 7A's. Although this is still high grades I'm still determined to get past these and hopefully get at least 2A*'s. So here is a list of my subjects and predicated grades and then what I want to get

Maths (Edexcel) - A (A*)
History (AQA) - A (A)
Spanish - A (A)

The ones in brackets are what I want in that subject. Following on from this here are a few notes on how I find each subject and what I study for each one

English Language - Well pretty simply I struggle with section B of the exam (so question 5/6) however going from a D to a B in less than half of year is a massive achievement for me. I've never really been an English person I've always been a mathematical person. However my english teacher has been amazing this year and I'm happy with my progress

English Literature - So I study the conflict cluster from Moon on the Tides , I also study Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls. Same applies to English Lit for English Lang so yeah - never really got on with English in general :smile:

Maths - I've always been strong at maths however topics such as vectors are my weakest point in maths - however I do well in algebra and feel I should easily get an A and must push to the A* in it.

Core Science- I've always got on well with science however core science is harder as I have done this 2 years ago and can barely remember everything :smile: I do unit 1 and 2 for all 3 disciplines of science

Additional Science - same as core science really however for some strange reason I seem to like additional science a lot more although it is harder. For this I do unit 3 and 4 for all disciplines of science.

Business Studies - I have always gotten straight B's in business - nothing more nothing less, it's mainly my exam technique especially for the long answer questions - This is one of the options I'm hoping to take for A level

History - So I was kinda forced to take history by my school, it's really a love hate relationship. I don't particularly like history compared to my other subjects. However I've always gotten A's - I'll never know why!

Physical Education - This is one of my most favourite subjects and I want to pursue a career in sports. I feel I can get the A* for this subject and really hope I do. I have my moderation this Friday so I'm quite nervous however I'm sure I'll be okay - my theory is really strong and I am top of class - despite being a girl! This is also an option I'm hoping to take at A level and degree

Religious Studies - Where do I start? I sometimes can love this subject and at other times I hate it. I do unit 3 and unit 4 for AQA. Unit 3 topics: Medical Ethics, Elderly and Death, Drugs, Crime and Punishment. Unit 4: Existence of God, Problem of Evil and suffering, Morality, Miracles and Science and religion

Spanish - My listening and reading are both at A's with my listening at an A*. I don't mind Spanish it is one of the subjects I kind of like. We have a small class of 12 so it's a really good class.

So my A Level options are Business Studies, Psychology, Biology, and Sports Science.

Any revision tips are greatly appreciated and if you take any of these subjects please feel free to let me know how you are revising for these and we can share idea's! I will aim to post everyday. So hope you can join me on my journey! Off to revision!

You can easily get that just work hard! :smile:
Reply 3
I had teacher training today so today I did 2 hours of history and finished the booklet my teacher set us for revision homework. I also mads notes for OMAM George and Lennie also an hour of business studies. Writing this is defiantly keeping me motivated to revise!

How do you guys revise english and history?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi all,

Maths (Edexcel) - A (A*)
History (AQA) - A (A)
Spanish - A (A)

I do nearly the same lessons as you, I do Music (Edexel), Triple Science(AQA), History (Edexel B) Geography (Edexel B) Maths(Edexel) English (AQA) RS(Edexel) and French (AQA)
im predicted 2As, 4A*s, and 2Bs
At my school we use MathsWatch which i personally think is great as my teacher is TERRIBLE she cannot explain if her life was dependent on it! She predicted me a B but I am a determined to get an A as I want to do it for A-level.

History I use a textbook- My revision plus (white backound with a purple helmet)
With French I use duolingo to practice my basics and try to memorize or understand at least 20 words every revision session.

With English I'm doing the same as you but instead of inspector calls I'm doing the crucible. My teacher has recommended using cliffs notes for lit which i find great and she has given us revision packs for each conflict poem in the anthology- I try to look at a plain version and write annotations by myself.

How many hours a day revision are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by food4000
I do nearly the same lessons as you, I do Music (Edexel), Triple Science(AQA), History (Edexel B) Geography (Edexel B) Maths(Edexel) English (AQA) RS(Edexel) and French (AQA)
im predicted 2As, 4A*s, and 2Bs
At my school we use MathsWatch which i personally think is great as my teacher is TERRIBLE she cannot explain if her life was dependent on it! She predicted me a B but I am a determined to get an A as I want to do it for A-level.

History I use a textbook- My revision plus (white backound with a purple helmet)
With French I use duolingo to practice my basics and try to memorize or understand at least 20 words every revision session.

With English I'm doing the same as you but instead of inspector calls I'm doing the crucible. My teacher has recommended using cliffs notes for lit which i find great and she has given us revision packs for each conflict poem in the anthology- I try to look at a plain version and write annotations by myself.

How many hours a day revision are you doing?

I'm doing 2-3 hours on a school night and 5-6 on weekends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
So, to put it blunt I had a horrible day back at school today. My first exam is on friday is PE practical. Today some crap kicked off and it resulted in me crying - I don't think it classifies as bulling but it's definatly near the boarders of it. I naturally have low self-esteem and confidence in myself - both when I play netball for my club and at school. I have to be careful in the way I word the next part.

2 days before my first exam and the little confidence I have is now gone - I don't know what to do anymore.

I can't trust anyone anymore.

So no revision got done tonight as I was trying to find out who started the whole thing and the reasons behind it. Getting advice from some of my close close friends. I've learnt to be very careful about telling certain people stuff and come to the conclusion - if nobody knows nobody can spread it
So, to put it blunt I had a horrible day back at school today. My first exam is on friday is PE practical. Today some crap kicked off and it resulted in me crying - I don't think it classifies as bulling but it's definatly near the boarders of it. I naturally have low self-esteem and confidence in myself - both when I play netball for my club and at school. I have to be careful in the way I word the next part.

2 days before my first exam and the little confidence I have is now gone - I don't know what to do anymore.

I can't trust anyone anymore.

So no revision got done tonight as I was trying to find out who started the whole thing and the reasons behind it. Getting advice from some of my close close friends. I've learnt to be very careful about telling certain people stuff and come to the conclusion - if nobody knows nobody can spread it

My advice to you which I use for myself is simply. Don't try to get to the bottom of it.Just leave it! I understand it must have been emotional since you were crying but the way I see things I try not to get swayed by what people are saying about me( it's rare people talk bad about me i'm a nice guy everyone loves me)because the way I see it (unless you're going to the same school for sixth form next year) you're never gonna see most of these people again so why give a f*ck about what they think about you. Are you gonna let the next years of your life be decided by a meanie simply because you've allowed yourself to be hurt by their words? Just smile through it and do the best in your practical and show that you don't care about what people say about you.
Reply 8
Original post by niftyhitman
My advice to you which I use for myself is simply. Don't try to get to the bottom of it.Just leave it! I understand it must have been emotional since you were crying but the way I see things I try not to get swayed by what people are saying about me( it's rare people talk bad about me i'm a nice guy everyone loves me)because the way I see it (unless you're going to the same school for sixth form next year) you're never gonna see most of these people again so why give a f*ck about what they think about you. Are you gonna let the next years of your life be decided by a meanie simply because you've allowed yourself to be hurt by their words? Just smile through it and do the best in your practical and show that you don't care about what people say about you.

Thank you - this is really kind. I don't really have good confidence levels - I always doubt myself (which I know isn't good) but I feel if I do feel confident I could become arrogant and I'm really not that type of person. However a close friend I need to become slightly selfish as I need to start thinking about myself more than staying back to help other people with coursework and revision on skype and stuff. But I'm not that type of person - I want to help people if I can.

But I get what you are saying and this is really kind and I really appreciate it! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you - this is really kind. I don't really have good confidence levels - I always doubt myself (which I know isn't good) but I feel if I do feel confident I could become arrogant and I'm really not that type of person. However a close friend I need to become slightly selfish as I need to start thinking about myself more than staying back to help other people with coursework and revision on skype and stuff. But I'm not that type of person - I want to help people if I can.

But I get what you are saying and this is really kind and I really appreciate it! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're Welcome:yy:
Thursday and Friday was moderation and it went extremely well! so now that's over today I'm going to be productive!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMGG yess you do history!! did you do race relations??

I need notes for Inspector calls, hate it with great passion!!

My predicted grades are worse than yours (didnt revise properly mocks thats why):
What i hope to achieve is in brackets
English Lit (WJEC): A (A*)
English Lang(WJEC): A (A*)
RE(Edexcel): A (A*)
Lifeskills (Edexcel): C (A)
Biology (OCR gateway): B (A)
Chemistry (OCR gateway): B (A)
Physics (OCR gateway): B (B)
Maths (AQA): C (B/A)
History (AQA History B): B (B)
Product Design: C (B)
Original post by Lightning_xo
OMGG yess you do history!! did you do race relations??

I need notes for Inspector calls, hate it with great passion!!

My predicted grades are worse than yours (didnt revise properly mocks thats why):
What i hope to achieve is in brackets
English Lit (WJEC): A (A*)
English Lang(WJEC): A (A*)
RE(Edexcel): A (A*)
Lifeskills (Edexcel): C (A)
Biology (OCR gateway): B (A)
Chemistry (OCR gateway): B (A)
Physics (OCR gateway): B (B)
Maths (AQA): C (B/A)
History (AQA History B): B (B)
Product Design: C (B)

Aha yes I do race relations! What other topics do you do for history?

Omg don't worry I don't like an inspector calls as well it's horrible 😭😩.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So today got some flash cards for Weimar Germany done because I've been out most of the day! I have county trials tomorrow so I'm really nervous for them! Honestly I'm hoping I get through to the 6 session camp like last year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck, I'm sure you will do amazing. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha yes I do race relations! What other topics do you do for history?

Omg don't worry I don't like an inspector calls as well it's horrible 😭😩.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Inspector calls:
http://www.westexe.devon.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/An-Inspector-Calls-Revision-Guide.pdf

History:
- Russia (Tsar)
- Stalins dictatorship
- Race Relations
- Peacekeeping powers (league of nations)
- Hitlers Foreign policy
- Cold War

Do you studyy similar ones?^^

GOOD LUCK for tommorow. Xx You'll do great.

Got my product design GCSE exam tmrw, and wed and thurs. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lightning_xo
Inspector calls:
http://www.westexe.devon.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/An-Inspector-Calls-Revision-Guide.pdf

History:
- Russia (Tsar)
- Stalins dictatorship
- Race Relations
- Peacekeeping powers (league of nations)
- Hitlers Foreign policy
- Cold War

Do you studyy similar ones?^^

GOOD LUCK for tommorow. Xx You'll do great.

Got my product design GCSE exam tmrw, and wed and thurs. :frown:

I do the Hitler foreign policy, race relations and the league of nations!

Thank you but I was unsuccessful today but oh well 😅

Good luck for your exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest