The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Opinion
Not true. He was shot because he assaulted a police officer and was moving towards the police officer, most likely to assault him for a second time. Please do not spread lies / mistruths.

Please do not spread lies xD thats total nonesence he never assaukted the police officers theres video footage of him being shot hes quite a stretch away from being close enough to assault him. Not to mention that he was shot six ti!mes.
This doesnt even cover the favt that even if he had assaulted a police offocer, that isnt punishable by death. He was an 18 year old boy and he died.
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Please do not spread lies xD thats total nonesence he never assaukted the police officers theres video footage of him being shot hes quite a stretch away from being close enough to assault him. Not to mention that he was shot six ti!mes.
This doesnt even cover the favt that even if he had assaulted a police offocer, that isnt punishable by death. He was an 18 year old boy and he died.

He broke the officers jaw! You seem to be very ignorant of this case. A police officer can use force to protect him/herself, that is legal. The officer did nothing wrong in this case, that is why he is not in prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown#/media/File:biggrin:arren_wilson_bruise.jpg

I hope that the 87 in your user name does not represent the year of your birth, if so it is saddening that a 28 year old is seemingly incapable of reading / performing research.
Is more aptly characterised as a mental disorder than a political movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAuVQlLxD0

The US has a pop of 300million +,police brutality is extant in almost every country, for western standards America is still pretty poor, but compared to the rest of the world it's not that bad. They don't just target blacks, more whites in the US get killed than American cops. In Brazil, the law enforcement agencies kill 5x the amount of black people per capita than they do in the US. Yet Black Lives Matter won't raise awareness on this, because it doesn't fit their agenda of allowing nihilistic ghetto dwellers to scapegoat all their problems onto whitey. Black Lives Matter shows that systematic racism does still exist in the US, tilted in favour of black people, because otherwise this "movement" would be outlawed and not given a podium in the White House.

He did assault the police officer.
If you are going for a police officers gun should the police officer give you the gun and let you shoot him or defend himself from a criminal?
The bullet wounds show that he was shot at close range.
You do not fire 1 shot in a situation like that you take multiple shots.
(edited 8 years ago)
He broke the officers jaw! You seem to be very ignorant of this case. A police officer can use force to protect him/herself, that is legal. The officer did nothing wrong in this case, that is why he is not in prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown#/media/File:biggrin:arren_wilson_bruise.jpg

I hope that the 87 in your user name does not represent the year of your birth, if so it is saddening that a 28 year old is seemingly incapable of reading / performing research.

Well i dont know how old you are but i find it sad that you cxant see that the media lies to cover upn police brutality. Think about the hillsbourough disaster, it took 25 years to get justice for trhaty, as the police consistantly insisted that they did nothing wrong, and it was inffact the football fans fault. All the newspapers reported the same thing, that football fans had assaulted the policwe and barged in, a few years later, what do you know? That turns out to be false.
Furthermore this isnt abput whther people should go to jail or not, its about the fact thaty the way police officers handle things in the us shpuld be looked at...
Original post by joecphillips
He did assault the police officer.
If you are going for a police officers gun should the police officer give you the gun and let you shoot him or defend himself from a criminal?
The bullet wounds show that he was shot at close range.
You do not fire 1 shot in a situation like that you take multiple shots.

Close range yes vbut not close enough for him to be assaulting the police officer. Also why fire multiple shots? One will suffixe to incapacitate an opponent.
Well i dont know how old you are but i find it sad that you cxant see that the media lies to cover upn police brutality. Think about the hillsbourough disaster, it took 25 years to get justice for trhaty, as the police consistantly insisted that they did nothing wrong, and it was inffact the football fans fault. All the newspapers reported the same thing, that football fans had assaulted the policwe and barged in, a few years later, what do you know? That turns out to be false.
Furthermore this isnt abput whther people should go to jail or not, its about the fact thaty the way police officers handle things in the us shpuld be looked at...

I take it that you do believe in science / evidence right? The officer was cleared of all wrong doing. I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself.
Close range yes vbut not close enough for him to be assaulting the police officer. Also why fire multiple shots? One will suffixe to incapacitate an opponent.

If you think a gun works like that, you clearly have never fired a gun.

Ok well explain why Browns dna was on the drivers side door on the gun and on the officers thigh? It seems he was close enough to assault him.

Don't rely on Hollywood for information about shootings.
(edited 8 years ago)
I take it that you do believe in science / evidence right? The officer was cleared of all wrong doing. I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

So were the police responsible for the hillsbourough disaster. And tbh im not the one condoning murder by those who supposedly serve and protect.
So were the police responsible for the hillsbourough disaster. And tbh im not the one condoning murder by those who supposedly serve and protect.

What on earth ha the Hillsborough disaster got to do with BLM or the Brown case? - Absolutely nothing. A clear example of changing the topic when one knows that they cannot win.
What on earth ha the Hillsborough disaster got to do with BLM or the Brown case? - Absolutely nothing. A clear example of changing the topic when one knows that they cannot win.

Absolutely nothimg? It was a case of police brutality, where the victims were blamed and the media lied about evidence. Its a total paralell to whats happening now in america.
Absolutely nothimg? It was a case of police brutality, where the victims were blamed and the media lied about evidence. Its a total paralell to whats happening now in america.

It has no relevance at all. What a strange sense of logic you have, group X did something bad a long time ago in county A, therefore group Y, who are similar to group X must be behaving the same way 30 years later in country B - absolutely crazy, you no doubt would vote Sanders if you lived in the US.

I went so far as to actually read the .pdf copies of both the Police reports and the Supreme Court Evidence on the Michael Brown case back when it had occured.

From my own conclusions, he was running towards or already very, very close to the officer.

It was also found that the majority of witnesses who suggested he had his hands in the air (roughly half) were able to be discredited in that they had had either lied and did not see the events, having made up their statements (they later confessed this after it didn't match forensic evidence at the scene, or other whitness statements for that matter) or it was physically impossible for them to have seen what occured.

There was roughly 1.5 meters distance from where MB's body was on the ground (which had fallen forwards, in the direction of the officer) to where all shell casings that were in the 'stand off' phase were found.

All the forensic evidence and a large amount of corroborating whitness statements back of the Police officer's version of events.

There was no video evidence mentioned in either report.
(edited 8 years ago)
It has no relevance at all. What a strange sense of logic you have, group X did something bad a long time ago in county A, therefore group Y, who are similar to group X must be behaving the same way 30 years later in country B - absolutely crazy, you no doubt would vote Sanders if you lived in the US.

... Its only one example certainly but its all to do with police brutality. Darren wilsons court case was biased in so many ways. Yes i probably would because, very stupidly of me obviously, i believe that people have a right to have enough money to survive, the right to not be kicked out of the country and the right to not be killed by the police. Im going to stop responding now, because quite frankly its making me depressed to see that even in 2016 there are narrow minded people who believe that police officers should be able to shoot people, kill them and lewave their body on the street without anyone even suggesting the notion of reforming some of what tge police force is about.
The police dont really either, theyre supposed to only use their guns as a last resort. Not because someone was stealing cigarettes. They certainly arent allowed to kill someone after they have already been arrested as they have many times.

Who have they killed after arresting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
... Its only one example certainly but its all to do with police brutality. Darren wilsons court case was biased in so many ways. Yes i probably would because, very stupidly of me obviously, i believe that people have a right to have enough money to survive, the right to not be kicked out of the country and the right to not be killed by the police. Im going to stop responding now, because quite frankly its making me depressed to see that even in 2016 there are narrow minded people who believe that police officers should be able to shoot people, kill them and lewave their body on the street without anyone even suggesting the notion of reforming some of what tge police force is about.

Unjustified killing by police isn't a huge stat when accounting for population size and pales in comparison to the black on black homocide rate. Isn't that a more pressing matter? Unless you believe black people are not worthy of personal responsibility.
Original post by Jebedee

Unjustified killing by police isn't a huge stat when accounting for population size and pales in comparison to the black on black homocide rate. Isn't that a more pressing matter? Unless you believe black people are not worthy of personal responsibility.

Eugh i promised myself i wpuldnt reply anymore. But that my, is the stupidest logic i have ever heard. Doesnt matter because of population size. If i walk up to uou rigfht now and kill thats still murder despite the fact that i would be an anomalpous murderer. And why does it have to be looked at in comparison to bnlack on black crime? The police are there to "serve and protect" allegedly and people are calling them out for it. I could just as well say "the numbers of black people being killed by police pales in comparison to people killed in car accidents". Why is it so hard for you people to realise that the police killing people is awful and corrupt. Why do you have to spend hours justofying the death of black people?
Eugh i promised myself i wpuldnt reply anymore. But that my, is the stupidest logic i have ever heard. Doesnt matter because of population size. If i walk up to uou rigfht now and kill thats still murder despite the fact that i would be an anomalpous murderer. And why does it have to be looked at in comparison to bnlack on black crime? The police are there to "serve and protect" allegedly and people are calling them out for it. I could just as well say "the numbers of black people being killed by police pales in comparison to people killed in car accidents". Why is it so hard for you people to realise that the police killing people is awful and corrupt. Why do you have to spend hours justofying the death of black people?

Look. When we're talking about a situation that affects a country as a whole. Talking about individual cases and anecdotal evidence doesn't clear anything up. Every country in the world has homocide rates, infant mortality rates, suicide rates...etc. No country in the world ever expects these to reach zero, it is an impossible task.

The higher homocide rates in US compared to other countries are clearly a gun control issue. Higher general homocide rates always results in a higher police brutality rate.

So basically your complaint can only be one of two things:

That the police brutality rate is more the zero, which is an unrealistic expectation.

Or that the police brutality rate concerning black victims is high, which also doesn't make sense as the police brutality rate for white victims is double that of black victims. Making that argument either a sign that you have a belief in black supremacy or that you simply don't know how to follow statistics.

Which one is it?
Original post by Wired_1800
You can also argue that women fighting for better conditions via women's rights should label it as "Women Empowerment too"; after all some men are not empowered. Or Gay Pride should be labelled as "Gay rights too" because not all members outside the LGBT community have sufficient rights.

Not at all. It is like one saying "Older people deserve respect." Now many people will reply back saying that this is ageist and that really all people, regardless of age, deserve respect. Its wording leads to such problems. If however someone said "Older people deserve respect too", it is clear that whilst calling for respect to be shown to elder people, it is at the same time not denying others deserve respect too and nobody could make an argument of ageism here.

And having done a quick google, I am not the only person who has spotted this issue, and there are many more results other than this one.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harvey-simon/black-lives-matter-too_b_8316882.html

If people of the Black Lives Matter movement want to keep constantly arguing over semantics and don't move beyond debating over the issue of whether "all lives matter", then surely no progress can be made? The statement "all lives matter" would be nonsensical if instead the movement called itself "black lives matter too" and we wouldn't be having this tangential discussion.

Latest

Trending

Trending