The Student Room Group

2 A-Levels, 5 weeks..help?

I've been having issues throughout the year with my family life that have interfered with school and on Monday unfortunately my grandfather passed away. My Art teacher was always skeptical of my work and came to the conclusion that I was using plagiarism (had no proof, though) which gives me from today 38 days (as i want to get it in a little earlier for confirmation) to complete my Art from scratch, and the same with Photography because they didn't have the software I used and yet again, conclusion jumping even though I had progress photos (then I was given the spiel of "you could've worked backwards...well then whats the point in doing it at all?)
Conclusion, I have just over 5 weeks to do 2 as-level portfolios from scratch, and I only need a D in the two of them which gives me welsh bacc (which i can do because its almost complete) BUT i can't get the welsh bacc unless I get the AS-levels...get my drift? I have another A-level from last year which is why I'm doing two halves.

Any advice would be great- my parents don't want me dropping out and they said if I do then I'll lose everything (i.e car, general privileges...so I feel like I've been chucked into the deep end a little)
Original post by EssB
I've been having issues throughout the year with my family life that have interfered with school and on Monday unfortunately my grandfather passed away. My Art teacher was always skeptical of my work and came to the conclusion that I was using plagiarism (had no proof, though) which gives me from today 38 days (as i want to get it in a little earlier for confirmation) to complete my Art from scratch, and the same with Photography because they didn't have the software I used and yet again, conclusion jumping even though I had progress photos (then I was given the spiel of "you could've worked backwards...well then whats the point in doing it at all?)
Conclusion, I have just over 5 weeks to do 2 as-level portfolios from scratch, and I only need a D in the two of them which gives me welsh bacc (which i can do because its almost complete) BUT i can't get the welsh bacc unless I get the AS-levels...get my drift? I have another A-level from last year which is why I'm doing two halves.

Any advice would be great- my parents don't want me dropping out and they said if I do then I'll lose everything (i.e car, general privileges...so I feel like I've been chucked into the deep end a little)

Hey Ess,

I'm so sorry that you had to face all of this in one year, and I'm so sorry about your grandad. You've done amazingly well to get your portfolios together at all, and this really isn't fair!

I did AS Art, and it's just so important which teachers you get, and I'm so sorry that yours isn't up to scratch.

Luckily, five weeks is plenty of time to get things turned around. It's not ideal, by any stretch of the imagination, but you've got time to get those grades.

My first tip would be to print off and highlight the specification from your exam board website. Go through them, line by line, and work out what you need to produce by assessment objective. The specs can be a bit opaque at times, so hopefully your teacher will be able to explain the parts that you don't understand.

You won't be able to explore all the avenues that you want to, so you'll need to have a really good, focused project with a good idea of where they will go.

If I can offer a general template for the art (I'm afraid I never took photography), it would be something like this :
Page 1: An intensive A1 pencil drawing to show off your drawing skills, with explanation of how it links in
Page 2: An Artist Study on your theme, with an in depth critical analysis
Page 3: A photoshoot exploring form and composition
Page 4: One of your photos in the style of the artist, with photoshopping if necessary
Page 5: Experimentation - mess around with Printmaking, collages, whatever takes your fancy, all based on your photoshoot.

Together, these will ensure that you show off your recording, refining and analysing skills, which will put you in good stead.

Time management is also a skill you'll need! Make a grid or timetable with all the days to come, then mark down exactly what you intend to get done each week. This will keep you motivated, and give you a really clear idea of what you need to get done and if you're track.

I really hope that this has been useful, and that things get better with your family soon,

All my love,
Miss D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending