The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

NEW- Ask a current University of Southampton Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bekah22
Its not first come first served dont worry 😊

It is i reckn first come first served. You get 5 choices for hall. Students are already receiving accomodation offers. They need to respond within a week. Most will bagsy the first choice accomodation. If they get their grades in summer that accomodation offer is confirmed. So by my reckoning it is indeed first come first served.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by hedgemonkey
It is i reckn first come first served. You get 5 choices for hall. Students are already receiving accomodation offers. They need to respond within a week. Most will bagsy the first choice accomodation. If they get their grades in summer that accomodation offer is confirmed. So by my reckoning it is indeed first come first served.

first year undergrads do not receive their accomodation offer until August then they have 7 days to reply.
it is not first come first serve. you have five choices because obviously not everyone can get their first choice or second.
So I am aware I need to be making decisions about my accommodation for September, but I really cannot decide. I want to be in a sociable environment and not somewhere where everyone stays in their rooms 24/7. So can anyone recommend anything?
Original post by jordan_s
Hi everyone!

With everyone now getting replies and firming/ insuring their university choices, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread like this to answer any questions you may have about Southampton Uni! You can ask any question, from campus, halls, to nightlife!

See you freshers in September!

Hi,

Sorry you've probably already been asked this but, I've put Southampton as my Firm and I'm applying for accommodation and was wondering which Halls are best in terms of social life and access to the city, the general things and is it worth going for part-catered Halls or self-catered (I'm not really a good cook)

Original post by RachelS17
Hi,

Sorry you've probably already been asked this but, I've put Southampton as my Firm and I'm applying for accommodation and was wondering which Halls are best in terms of social life and access to the city, the general things and is it worth going for part-catered Halls or self-catered (I'm not really a good cook)

In terms of social life, Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane halls are probably your best bet. The social life can be pretty great even in small halls; it all depends on the people living there. In terms of access to the city, the closest is Mayflower (although I've been told the social side of things there is a bit iffy), but seeing as you get a free bus pass with your accommodation, access to city centre and other amenities are pretty good wherever you choose to live.

Whether or not catered halls is worth applying to depends on how good you want your food... I've been told by many the Connaught (Wessex Lane) catering isn't great, but you do get daily credit that you can spend on good food outlets on campus. Not sure about Highfield halls' food. Although TBH, there are many ways to learn how to cook quickly while you're at uni and it's not as hard as it might initially look.
Original post by 9910224
In terms of social life, Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane halls are probably your best bet. The social life can be pretty great even in small halls; it all depends on the people living there. In terms of access to the city, the closest is Mayflower (although I've been told the social side of things there is a bit iffy), but seeing as you get a free bus pass with your accommodation, access to city centre and other amenities are pretty good wherever you choose to live.

Whether or not catered halls is worth applying to depends on how good you want your food... I've been told by many the Connaught (Wessex Lane) catering isn't great, but you do get daily credit that you can spend on good food outlets on campus. Not sure about Highfield halls' food. Although TBH, there are many ways to learn how to cook quickly while you're at uni and it's not as hard as it might initially look.

Thanks so much, that's really helped me :smile: I think I'll go self catered as that way I can choose what and when to eat and learn to cook :smile:
Original post by Bewardy98
I've firmed Southampton for French, just wondering if you could tell me a bit about the course, the lecturers, etc? 😊

I've firmed for French too!:biggrin:
Original post by coucouChar1997
I've firmed for French too!:biggrin:

That's cool! I'm really looking forward to starting, hopefully will get the grades to get in! Have you sorted out your accommodation yet? 😄
That's cool! I'm really looking forward to starting, hopefully will get the grades to get in! Have you sorted out your accommodation yet? 😄

It's so exciting I really hope I'll be there on September! Glen Eyre is my first choice for accomodation :smile: you?
It's so exciting I really hope I'll be there on September! Glen Eyre is my first choice for accomodation :smile: you?

Yeah same it's so exciting! Same- glen eyre is my first choice too! 😀😀 will Southampton be far from home for you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah same it's so exciting! Same- glen eyre is my first choice too! 😀😀 will Southampton be far from home for you?

Yay!😊 It's about an hour and a half away fro my town so that's pretty good, you?😃
Yay!😊 It's about an hour and a half away fro my town so that's pretty good, you?😃

That's good, for me it's about 3 hours, so quite long!
That's good, for me it's about 3 hours, so quite long!

Ooh that is quite far! Hope to see you there in September!☺️
Reply 53
Original post by c316
Hi,
I am an spanish student and I will be doing a Erasmus year at Southampton University next year. I don't if it is difficult or not to international students to get a room at a hall. Furthermore, I don't really know which hall to choose. Is it better to be near university or in the city centre? How is the food at part-catered halls? I've been thinking about Glen Eyre or Highfield, as they are close to university, but I don't know if for example, Archers would be a good option, as it is closer to city centre.
I don't really know how I have to choose the hall I want. Do I have to fill a list saying which hall I want and the room type in each hall?
Sorry for asking you so many questions! I'm a bit messed. Thank you so much!

Hola! It's not too difficult for international students to get a place in halls, they are usually given a bit of priority over some home students (from what I have heard). Whichever hall you choose, you must take into account what you want out of your time there. It doesn't really matter where in Soton you are seeing as the bus links are SO good and get you everywhere. I couldn't tell you how the food in part catered halls is, but from what I've heard from friends, apparently it's okay, not awful but what can you expect from catering haha.

If you want to be really close to campus, Highfield halls are a good shout. They're literally a 5 minute walk from uni and they're pretty quiet, so you can get lots of work done without being kept up until 3am.

On the options form you order the room types and location you'd like on a ist of 1 to 5, with 1 being your top choice and 5 being the least. You can check out all the different room types and locations here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/accommodation/halls.page and here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/accommodation/rooms.page

Hope this helps!
Reply 54
Original post by JamesZ2016BscCS
Hello Jordan_s,

Could u recommand some good spots for studying?

Hi!

There's loads of study spaces on campus- you've got:
-Hartley Library
-Avenue Library
-Mayflower study spaces
- Your room (bit boring but convenient!!)
-any cafe or restaurant
-study rooms in the buildings (lots of them have computers)
-some halls also have study rooms, I know in Wessex Lane (Connaught to be exact), their JCR doubles up as a study space.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 55
I've firmed Southampton for French, just wondering if you could tell me a bit about the course, the lecturers, etc? 😊

Salut!

The French course is quite varied from year to year, but in first year we have been studying cultural/ political issues, then in semester 2 we have studied various famous French icons, and reading through their biographies :smile: There is also quite a bit of grammar worked into the course, you cover a new grammar point each week (seems like a lot but if you keep on top of it, it really isn't much!) In terms of essays/ exams we have 4 pieces of coursework over the year, then a few exams at the end of each semester.

The lecturers are all so lovely at Southampton! My French lecturers are always keen to help you improve and are always offering guidance and feedback on how to improve which is brilliant. Also, te fact that they are genuinely nice people makes it easy to go and talk to them about anything :-)

Hope this helps!! :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by hedgemonkey
I have applied for student accomodation forfirst year. When will they allocate? Soon or they wait until summer?

They wait until after results day to allocate the accommodation! :biggrin:

N.b. after allocation, you have 7 days to accept your offer otherwise it gets given to someone else.
Reply 57
Original post by LoveSandu
So I am aware I need to be making decisions about my accommodation for September, but I really cannot decide. I want to be in a sociable environment and not somewhere where everyone stays in their rooms 24/7. So can anyone recommend anything?

Sociable environment: Wessex Lane, Glen Eyre (both renowned for social life).
A bit less social life: Mayflower, City gateway, Bencraft, Liberty Point, Archers Road, Highfield halls.

People don't stay in their rooms 24/7 in any hall, but some halls are definitely quieter than others. The only halls where I've heard people are reluctant to come out of their rooms are in Highfield halls and sometimes City Gateway. :smile:
Reply 58
Hola! It's not too difficult for international students to get a place in halls, they are usually given a bit of priority over some home students (from what I have heard). Whichever hall you choose, you must take into account what you want out of your time there. It doesn't really matter where in Soton you are seeing as the bus links are SO good and get you everywhere. I couldn't tell you how the food in part catered halls is, but from what I've heard from friends, apparently it's okay, not awful but what can you expect from catering haha.

If you want to be really close to campus, Highfield halls are a good shout. They're literally a 5 minute walk from uni and they're pretty quiet, so you can get lots of work done without being kept up until 3am.

On the options form you order the room types and location you'd like on a ist of 1 to 5, with 1 being your top choice and 5 being the least. You can check out all the different room types and locations here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/accommodation/halls.page and here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/accommodation/rooms.page

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Gracias! I have finally chosen Glen Eyre as my first option as I think it will be more social than Highfield and they are close to campus. Do you know when do we get news about the room offer?
Salut!

The French course is quite varied from year to year, but in first year we have been studying cultural/ political issues, then in semester 2 we have studied various famous French icons, and reading through their biographies :smile: There is also quite a bit of grammar worked into the course, you cover a new grammar point each week (seems like a lot but if you keep on top of it, it really isn't much!) In terms of essays/ exams we have 4 pieces of coursework over the year, then a few exams at the end of each semester.

The lecturers are all so lovely at Southampton! My French lecturers are always keen to help you improve and are always offering guidance and feedback on how to improve which is brilliant. Also, te fact that they are genuinely nice people makes it easy to go and talk to them about anything :-)

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Thank you! Is is mostly taught in lectures or seminars? Also how many contact hours do you have per week? 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending