The Student Room Group

Simmultaneous question that i got wrong...please be elaborate in your working out

Calculate the coordinate of the points or intersection of the straight line 2x+3y=10 and the curve 2/x + 3/y = 5
We are not allowed to give full answers :cry:

rearrange the first equation to make x the subject.

put the expression for x into the second equation.

rearrange... you normally end up with a quadratic ?

solve the quadratic to find your two x values

find the y values from the first equation.
Original post by TumiZN
Calculate the coordinate of the points or intersection of the straight line 2x+3y=10 and the curve 2/x + 3/y = 5

Is this calculus
Original post by TumiZN

Multiply both sides by xy

This means x and y are cancelled out., giving us

2x+3y=5xy

Minus -5xy from both sides,

Which gives us 2x+3y-5xy=0

Minus -3y from both sides

This gives us

2x-5xy=-3y

Then find the common factor, in this case on the left hand side, it is x.

so

x(2-5y) =-3y

Divide both sides by (2-5y)

x= -3y / 2-5y
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
We are not allowed to give full answers :cry:

the thing is I already know the correct answers all I want to see is the proper working out so I can see where I went wrong
Original post by TumiZN
the thing is I already know the correct answers all I want to see is the proper working out so I can see where I went wrong

http://www.webmath.com

If you input the equations etc in there, it will give you a breakdown (yes, step by step!) so you can see where your going right/wrong
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I re wrote second eq as 2x^-1 + 3y^-1 =5 then got stuck id like to see a walkthrough too!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TumiZN

all we can do is look at your version ?
Reply 8
Original post by apronedsamurai
http://www.webmath.com

If you input the equations etc in there, it will give you a breakdown (yes, step by step!) so you can see where your going right/wrong

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest