The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St. John's College 2016 Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone! Has anyone been asked to send in a "student finance breakdown" letter? If so, would someone explain what it is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by laughlivelove
Hello everyone! Has anyone been asked to send in a "student finance breakdown" letter? If so, would someone explain what it is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're applying for student finance, apply when it opens (29th I think) and you will get a letter when your application has been confirmed. Send St John's a copy.
Reply 382
Hi,

I was wondering if St. John's view economics A Level as a relevant subject for engineering. Also would they recommend carrying all of your A levels? I'm currently in year 12 taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Computer Science.

Finally, what UMS are they expecting for engineering?

Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ehmb
Hi,

I was wondering if St. John's view economics A Level as a relevant subject for engineering. Also would they recommend carrying all of your A levels? I'm currently in year 12 taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Computer Science.

Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I doubt you'll get an authoritative answer here - we're offer holders not admissions tutors!

Best bet would be email the college admissions office - they do reply.
Original post by arkusf
Just wondering if theres an offer holders facebook group for Johns? Haven't been able to find one yet!

Yes - link from applicant portal.
Original post by Ehmb
Hi,

Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

They use your sciences (Maths, FM, Physics) to calculate your UMS average. But your application is more than just a UMS average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any fellow mathmos going on the St John's-run STEP course on the 16-17th?
Reply 387
Original post by klegend02

I haven't seen this, but I am a mathmo applying to Johns, could you link me to the sign up page?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep.

Original post by jjsnyder
I haven't seen this, but I am a mathmo applying to Johns, could you link me to the sign up page?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It was in an email from someone called "Marmara K" on the 2nd March. Subject of the email is "Invitation to STEP workshop". That's the only correspondence I've had about it.

I've got a general question. Being an idiot, I've lost my offer letter. Other than the student finance breakdown , is there anything else we have to do? Other than meet our offers, of course.
Reply 389
Original post by 16Characters....
Yep.

It was in an email from someone called "Marmara K" on the 2nd March. Subject of the email is "Invitation to STEP workshop". That's the only correspondence I've had about it.

I've got a general question. Being an idiot, I've lost my offer letter. Other than the student finance breakdown , is there anything else we have to do? Other than meet our offers, of course.

Nothing else, just some terms and conditions about privacy of information and stiff like that. I think there was a brief mention that it would be nice to email them confirming you accepting the offer.

I cannot find this email after a fairly extensive search, could you PM me a screenshot?
Nothing else, just some terms and conditions about privacy of information and stiff like that. I think there was a brief mention that it would be nice to email them confirming you accepting the offer.

I cannot find this email after a fairly extensive search, could you PM me a screenshot?

Good. I haven't emailed them about accepting, have you? That said I've not technically accepted yet as I cannot choose my insurance.

And certainly, I'll do that now.
Reply 391
Good. I haven't emailed them about accepting, have you? That said I've not technically accepted yet as I cannot choose my insurance.

And certainly, I'll do that now.

I sent them a brief email just saying I will gladly accept it when possible, just a one sentence thing.

I sent them a brief email just saying I will gladly accept it when possible, just a one sentence thing.

Done.
Original post by laughlivelove

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, it's as the other person mentioned the letter they send you after you've applied, I just wanted to add that at the top of the letter it should say something like 'If requested show this to your University/College'.
Reply 394
Done.

Hmm I never received this email. I will follow up on it tomorrow, thanks for the help.
Hmm I never received this email. I will follow up on it tomorrow, thanks for the help.

It's run on a need-only basis like the other (university wide) STEP workshop, so if you go to a (decent) private you almost certainly won't qualify. It's not like they're going to run a workshop for all of their (I'm assuming roughly) thirty-odd maths offer holders.
Reply 396
It's run on a need-only basis like the other (university wide) STEP workshop, so if you go to a (decent) private you almost certainly won't qualify. It's not like they're going to run a workshop for all of their (I'm assuming roughly) thirty-odd maths offer holders.

Fair enough, I realised this before I called them but thought I'd ring a check if I could get on it :smile: Apparently only 10 students were invited however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
Hello, I'm a student intending to apply to Cambridge for Maths and I found the following on St John's college website:

...Those invited for interview normally have three interviews, each of 20–25 minutes duration: one with the Tutor for Mathematicians, who will be concerned to find out what you can contribute to the College in addition to your academic skills, and two subject interviews...

Can someone say something about this first interview, e. g. what do they ask you?
Thanks for the answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have an average figure of how much accommodation will cost per year? I'm struggling to find anything that's up to date. Just looking for a rough estimate, thanks :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by felecita
Does anyone have an average figure of how much accommodation will cost per year? I'm struggling to find anything that's up to date. Just looking for a rough estimate, thanks :h:

Approx £4k per year

https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/maintenance-costs
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending