The Student Room Group

I Want To Self Study My AS Subject, Can I?

Hello, I'm new to this site. I'm currently studying a course for AS level in my school, however I'm not comfortable in the class and I'm not learning anything. The teacher is by no means an expert on the subject either.

Showing a random exam question on the board and asking us to answer it even if we haven't learnt it isn't teaching. Showing us the mark scheme after answering the question isn't teaching. These are things I do myself at home. It's now at a point where I do not want to attend the lessons as I find it a waste of time when I could be spending that time LEARNING and understanding the subject NOT trying to remember generic answers.

The classroom environment (of that particular lesson) is affecting my mental health; I don't want to be there, I'd rather die. The teaching style doesn't cater to everyone's learning style and the teacher student relationship is hanging by a string...over a pot of boiling hot water. We've complained about the issue with the higher ups but nothing has happened. I'm not the only one having issues, for the past couple of years every one of my peers have expressed similar feelings (if not exactly the same!).

I want to self study the subject (as I've been doing) but I don't want to attend the lesson, is this possible?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by PKTK
Hello, I'm new to this site. I'm currently studying a course for AS level in my school, however I'm not comfortable in the class and I'm not learning anything. The teacher is by no means an expert on the subject either.

Showing a random exam question on the board and asking us to answer it even if we haven't learnt it isn't teaching. Showing us the mark scheme after answering the question isn't teaching. These are things I do myself at home. It's now at a point where I do not want to attend the lessons as I find it a waste of time when I could be spending that time LEARNING and understanding the subject NOT trying to remember generic answers.

The classroom environment (of that particular lesson) is affecting my mental health; I don't want to be there, I'd rather die. The teaching style doesn't cater to everyone's learning style and the teacher student relationship is hanging by a string...over a pot of boiling hot water. We've complained about the issue with the higher ups but nothing has happened. I'm not the only one having issues, for the past couple of years every one of my peers have expressed similar feelings (if not exactly the same!).

I want to self study the subject (as I've been doing) but I don't want to attend the lesson, is this possible?

Yes check out National Extension College
Reply 3
Original post by Polarization
Yes check out National Extension College

thank you I will

Quick Reply

Latest