The Student Room Group

Is TheScholarshipHub any good?

Hi,

I've accepted an offer for a Masters degree so now I am looking around for various scholarships. I've come across this UK website called The Scholarship Hub (it was also mentioned in an article here in TSR) and signed up for the free version but I didn't find any scholarships that I hadn't heard of before.

They have a premium membership option for £12 which supposedly gives you access to many trust bursaries etc. so I was wondering if anyone has ever bought this? I don't want to pay £12 and then find loads of bursaries that are so niche that almost no one can be eligible to apply if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Original post by Catta
Hi,

I've accepted an offer for a Masters degree so now I am looking around for various scholarships. I've come across this UK website called The Scholarship Hub (it was also mentioned in an article here in TSR) and signed up for the free version but I didn't find any scholarships that I hadn't heard of before.

They have a premium membership option for £12 which supposedly gives you access to many trust bursaries etc. so I was wondering if anyone has ever bought this? I don't want to pay £12 and then find loads of bursaries that are so niche that almost no one can be eligible to apply if you know what I mean.

Cheers

I'd be wary of paying for access to be honest. Most scholarships and bursaries are publicised as much as possible: http://www.scholarship-search.org.uk/ is another free place to search as is https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/who-else/employment/grants-funding has a bunch of links (often to the same sources)

The key sources are often in your local reference library - if you ask about educational grants and trust directories they'll be able to point you towards the right sources for free.
Reply 2
Original post by Tencas

They are usually really good at helping and definitely a bonafide organisation trying to help.

Did you manage to get a scholarship through them?
Reply 3
They don't offer scholarships just lots of information on what's out there and how and where to find it.

Original post by Klix88
Did you manage to get a scholarship through them?
Original post by Tencas
They don't offer scholarships just lots of information on what's out there and how and where to find it.

Like a library....
Reply 5
Original post by Tencas

Yep I'd gathered that. You were talking as though you had more in-depth experience of their service than just looking at the same web pages that I did.
Reply 6
That's the point - they promise you access to info on thousands of bursaries if you pay £12 but there's no guarantee I'd be able to find anything I am eligible for. That's why I was looking for anyone who had paid for a premium account.

I was aware of a lot of bursaries/scholarships etc. before, but they often have super specific requirements (live in a certain council area, be a pianist, be a vegetarian - whatever), so if for £12 pounds you get access and find our you're ineligible, that's a waste of money.

Thanks for PQ, I did find the suggested websites quite useful and the local library does have a directory of bursaries. It a version from 2013 but still worth checking..
Original post by Catta
That's the point - they promise you access to info on thousands of bursaries if you pay £12 but there's no guarantee I'd be able to find anything I am eligible for. That's why I was looking for anyone who had paid for a premium account.

I was aware of a lot of bursaries/scholarships etc. before, but they often have super specific requirements (live in a certain council area, be a pianist, be a vegetarian - whatever), so if for £12 pounds you get access and find our you're ineligible, that's a waste of money.

Thanks for PQ, I did find the suggested websites quite useful and the local library does have a directory of bursaries. It a version from 2013 but still worth checking..

It's worth checking with your university as well - they often have scholarships, bursaries or awards available for specific groups of students or specific courses. They should also be able to help you access hardship funds if need be too :yes: (even just getting a look at the application form for hardship funds at your university is useful so you know what sort of records and evidence to keep hold of in case you need to apply)
Reply 8
Original post by Catta
Hi,

Cheers

The government pays (10k) loans for masters, from june/july this year you know?
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
It's worth checking with your university as well - they often have scholarships, bursaries or awards available for specific groups of students or specific courses. They should also be able to help you access hardship funds if need be too :yes: (even just getting a look at the application form for hardship funds at your university is useful so you know what sort of records and evidence to keep hold of in case you need to apply)

Thanks, I already applied for everything that I was eligible for at my university.

Original post by john2054
The government pays (10k) loans for masters, from june/july this year you know?

A loan is the last thing I want to go for, waiting to see if I get any scholarships/bursaries first :smile: But thank you for the info

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending