The Student Room Group

What Happens Now? Questions About Offers!

Just a few questions about the processes that follow receiving an unconditional offer for medicine, I'm a European applicant.

1. After having been given an unconditional offer, does the university have any possibilities to withdraw their offer, assuming nothing in the application/grades/requirements change? Just a general enquiry about what it means to receive an offer, i.e. whether it is "absolute" or subject to change.

2. After firming the unconditional, have I correctly understood it means I have firmed and accepted my place at the programme and university, and I can rest completely assured I cannot lose my place? Meaning come September I WILL be beginning my course and I can safely drop preparing applications for medicine in other countries?

3. Is there a way, and is it at all pertinent, to get a confirmation from the university that I have firmed my unconditional and do intend to attend the course? The point of this is as mentioned above, I want to know assuredly that I can rest my mind from trying to apply elsewhere and focus on preparing my coming relocation. Does one receive/sign a "contract" for matriculating into the course, and when does this happen? At the university come September?

4. Seeing as I have received an unconditional offer, on UCAS Track it says "This offer is subject to you obtaining" and then left BLANK. I presume this is ordinary given it's an unconditional?

5. On my UCAS Track application, it says "Criminal convictions declared: UNDECLARED". I have no criminal record/offenses/convictions/whatever, so I hazard this is also in order?

I appreciate someone elucidating these humble, basic questions from a non-UK applicant, thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Laziza
Just a few questions about the processes that follow receiving an unconditional offer for medicine, I'm a European applicant.

1. After having been given an unconditional offer, does the university have any possibilities to withdraw their offer, assuming nothing in the application/grades/requirements change? Just a general enquiry about what it means to receive an offer, i.e. whether it is "absolute" or subject to change.

2. After firming the unconditional, have I correctly understood it means I have firmed and accepted my place at the programme and university, and I can rest completely assured I cannot lose my place? Meaning come September I WILL be beginning my course and I can safely drop preparing applications for medicine in other countries?

3. Is there a way, and is it at all pertinent, to get a confirmation from the university that I have firmed my unconditional and do intend to attend the course? The point of this is as mentioned above, I want to know assuredly that I can rest my mind from trying to apply elsewhere and focus on preparing my coming relocation. Does one receive/sign a "contract" for matriculating into the course, and when does this happen? At the university come September?

4. Seeing as I have received an unconditional offer, on UCAS Track it says "This offer is subject to you obtaining" and then left BLANK. I presume this is ordinary given it's an unconditional?

5. On my UCAS Track application, it says "Criminal convictions declared: UNDECLARED". I have no criminal record/offenses/convictions/whatever, so I hazard this is also in order?

I appreciate someone elucidating these humble, basic questions from a non-UK applicant, thank you!

1. Generally no, unless the course has to be cancelled or something along those lines.
2. Yes you can.
3. You dont sign anything, you enrol once you start in september normally.
4. Yes i believe so.
5. Check with the uni, you may undergo DBS checks before starting. What that means is that you have told them you have none.
Original post by Laziza

1. If you meet the promises made in your application (sit any exams you said you would etc) then your offer will stand. For Medicine check directly with the university if they have requirements about occupational health assessments and vaccinations you need to get done before your place is formally confirmed. Sometimes students miss the dates on providing this information and lose their places even though they're "UF" on UCAS systems
2. Yes
3. When your application goes to UF on Track you'll have access to a letter called an AS12 - this confirms your place and can be used for opening a student bank account. It may also ask you to confirm separately that you will definitely take up a place (the AS12 letter for each university is customised depending on what actions you need to take). From August onwards you may be able to enrol online - again check with the university directly about what they require/expect from you at each stage. If you would like written confirmation then ask for it (it isn't an unreasonable request).
4. Yes but see the answer to 1 above about OccHealth/HepB/C vaccinations etc
5. Undeclared is the right response if you have no convictions or warnings.

Quick Reply

Latest