The Student Room Group

just got a council flat can i get away with subletting/lodger

so basically its a 1 bedroom flat in islington and i want to have a lodger to stay with me to share the room, ive rung the council and they said that i couldnt.
what if i do this and dont tell them about it can i get away with it?
i really need the money lol so i can fit new carpets fix the walls etc.

do islington council do regular checks on tennants etc

lodger will be paying me cash in hand £300 per month even if i was to get caught how can they prove i sublet the property?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ednut
so basically its a 1 bedroom flat in islington and i want to have a lodger to stay with me to share the room, ive rung the council and they said that i couldnt.

lodger will be paying me cash in hand £300 per month even if i was to get caught how can they prove i sublet the property?

well they'd either find the lodger or spy on the comings and goings to prove themselves right as you have put yourself on the radar by asking them so they are already checking up on you
Well, considering they've told you no already....

And yeah, they do regular checks. I've got a council flat and they do checks to ensure that I am still living here.
Just bear in mind that if you get caught you will almost certainely be evicted, and may well struggle to find other sources of cheap accomodation. There must be other ways you can make some money.
Lmfao just do it and come up with lies if you get caught. Everyone here will probably tell you no because it's bad or whatever but bro, you aren't harming anyone.

If you do get caught I doubt they'll take it far anyway, just say you didn't know. Nobody has the time to care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ednut

If it's the type of tenancy described here then it's pretty clear that if you're an introductory tenant you can't take in a lodger, but that you can once you become a secure tenant, provided you aren't statutorily overcrowding the property. Taking in a lodger is not the same thing as subletting, incidentally, (which you can't do). Council tenancies are like gold dust, especially in London, so my view would be not to do anything which would jeapordise it.
Original post by Persipan
If it's the type of tenancy described here then it's pretty clear that if you're an introductory tenant you can't take in a lodger, but that you can once you become a secure tenant, provided you aren't statutorily overcrowding the property. Taking in a lodger is not the same thing as subletting, incidentally, (which you can't do). Council tenancies are like gold dust, especially in London, so my view would be not to do anything which would jeapordise it.

yes i am an introductory tenant i ask if i can take in a lodger as a secure tenant and she said no since its a one bedroom
Don't do it. You're really abusing the fact you've been given the property when many other people are waiting for housing if you use it to make more money. Aside from that you will probably get caught and if you do do you really think they're going to let you keep the flat/have another one?
You look about 20 in your profile picture. How on earth did you get a council flat in London?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I second the above post. How?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
You look about 20 in your profile picture. How on earth did you get a council flat in London?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it hard?
Reply 11
Original post by Rub-a-dub dub
Why is it hard?

Getting a private flat in London is hard, let alone a heavily subsidised council flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rub-a-dub dub
Why is it hard?

There's an enormous shortage of housing in London.

Getting a council flat is hard anywhere, and young, single men are almost never given any help, even when they are street homeless - and it's no better in London. Rough sleeping has doubled in London over the last few years. Council housing normally prioritises those with kids, and the waiting lists are years long, even for the more vulnerable.

If the OP is a young single man who has managed to acquire a council house, he is spectacularly lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending