The Student Room Group

A-level maths???

I'm currently in Year 11, and I am predicted to get an A*in Maths at GCSE-level.

So my question is that how difficult is it from gcse. I have got always times for Maths and I am really committed to my work at all times.

Oh also how many hours do you spend on it at college and how many hours do YOU do maths during your free time in a week.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ARK_REVISES
I'm currently in Year 11, and I am predicted to get an A*in Maths at GCSE-level.

So my question is that how difficult is it from gcse. I have got always times for Maths and I am really committed to my work at all times.

Oh also how many hours do you spend on it at college and how many hours do YOU do maths during your free time in a week.

I'm currently doing Year 12 Maths and it's straight forward if you devote enough time to it.
I spend most of my frees, my evenings and weekend doing Maths

I actually find it easier than gcse, I'm on track for full ums and i only got an A at GCSE, as long as you try hard from the offset and do lots of past papers you won't have any trouble in getting an A.

During the summer i advise having a little look at differentiation, integration and logarithms just to give yourself a head start.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3

Maths from GCSE is very different from what it is at A-Level. At GCSE you would usually find that you could write an answer and get all the marks but at A-Level pretty much every exam board looks for individual bits of working out (look in some of the mark schemes and you will see what I mean. I do edexcel maths). ALGEBRA is a huge part of maths A Level. I should mention I do further maths so I am sitting the full a level this year and I can't deny that pretty much every topic contains algebra which builds in difficulty as you go on. I was very sceptical and scared about doing maths even though I achieved an A* at GCSE, but to this day it is my easiest topic by far. Also you will find that the first units for each exam board usually ease you into it with some A to A* GCSE level stuff. Another important point is that none of the questions are like "Gill and Harry have 2 cartons of milk each" in size 14 fond and a nice picture that takes up half the page. Speaking from personal experience it is well worth it, most people I know that do it achieved A and A* and they are doing/coping really well. It's worth looking through some past papers to see what they are like. You may be like what the hell is this? now but when you get to the stage you will fully understand it.
Original post by Bruce267099
I actually find it easier than gcse, I'm on track for full ums and i only got an A at GCSE, as long as you try hard from the offset and do lots of past papers you won't have any trouble in getting an A.

During the summer i advise having a little look at differentiation, integration and logarithms just to give yourself a head start.

How did you revise for GCSE Maths and what exam board did you do?
Original post by zXcodeXz

I did edexcel maths. I literally did every other past paper and for the past papers i didn't do i looked at the mark scheme and looked at how marks are awarded. If you need any advise on a particular topic just pm me.

Well i got a an A at Gcse maths & im predicted an A* for maths & A for further maths at A2 so yeah , it's not that hard
Original post by Bruce267099
I did edexcel maths. I literally did every other past paper and for the past papers i didn't do i looked at the mark scheme and looked at how marks are awarded. If you need any advise on a particular topic just pm me.

Ok thanks and I'm doing AQA
AS maths is super easy compared to all the oger subjects - and I probably only spent an hour a week doing homework it was just so easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If you're keeping up with the work in lessons then you'll probably be fine. You need to do however much work is necessary to not fall behind - if you're managing to finish most of the exercises in the textbook (assuming Edexcel) then you're probably okay.
Reply 10

Just like every subject there is a step up and it is harder but in saying that, at first when you start learning the syllabus you're revising over GCSE material while expanding on it and incorporating the A-level aspect to it and then you start learning the actual A-level maths. At first I found it quite hard but as time progressed it became more straight forward, as long as you do the work you're set, practice past paper questions and devote enough time to it you'll be fine.
Original post by coo11ard
Maths from GCSE is very different from what it is at A-Level. At GCSE you would usually find that you could write an answer and get all the marks but at A-Level pretty much every exam board looks for individual bits of working out (look in some of the mark schemes and you will see what I mean. I do edexcel maths). ALGEBRA is a huge part of maths A Level. I should mention I do further maths so I am sitting the full a level this year and I can't deny that pretty much every topic contains algebra which builds in difficulty as you go on. I was very sceptical and scared about doing maths even though I achieved an A* at GCSE, but to this day it is my easiest topic by far. Also you will find that the first units for each exam board usually ease you into it with some A to A* GCSE level stuff. Another important point is that none of the questions are like "Gill and Harry have 2 cartons of milk each" in size 14 fond and a nice picture that takes up half the page. Speaking from personal experience it is well worth it, most people I know that do it achieved A and A* and they are doing/coping really well. It's worth looking through some past papers to see what they are like. You may be like what the hell is this? now but when you get to the stage you will fully understand it.

Now, I am a bit assured, also I am bit confused in D1 and M1, is it something you and I have done in GCSE.
Original post by zXcodeXz

I went to the internet and printed past papers from my exam board(OCR), and also exam boards that I wasnt doing. Now I amthe only student in the class chilling, cos I planned. Im not getting cocky but I still practise maths every now and then.

Also, I used a site called MathsWatch VLE which were videos that were extremely better than random dude on youtube doing some nifty maths in HIS/HER way..

I hope it helps. Start now.... You aint got time left......only 4 weeks left.
Original post by Ayaz789
Well i got a an A at Gcse maths & im predicted an A* for maths & A for further maths at A2 so yeah , it's not that hard

Are you sure??? but how, plz could you tell me
Original post by lummzie
Just like every subject there is a step up and it is harder but in saying that, at first when you start learning the syllabus you're revising over GCSE material while expanding on it and incorporating the A-level aspect to it and then you start learning the actual A-level maths. At first I found it quite hard but as time progressed it became more straight forward, as long as you do the work you're set, practice past paper questions and devote enough time to it you'll be fine.

TNX!!!! Now I have confidence I was just anxious about it cos I just was assuming it was tough by looking at maths and further maths a level....
I went to the internet and printed past papers from my exam board(OCR), and also exam boards that I wasnt doing. Now I amthe only student in the class chilling, cos I planned. Im not getting cocky but I still practise maths every now and then.

Also, I used a site called MathsWatch VLE which were videos that were extremely better than random dude on youtube doing some nifty maths in HIS/HER way..

I hope it helps. Start now.... You aint got time left......only 4 weeks left.

Yeah true and thanks

Maths is very cool.First year engineer here
As someone said above, it does seem easier than most of the other subjects at A-level. I've always found that maths is my strong point so if you feel the same since you're predicted A* it shouldn't be too difficult in any way, as long as you stay on top of it and don't fall behind. I don't mean to brag, but I barely did AS Maths revision for my own reasons and I just got over an A (not that I recommend you don't revise). It did mean that I could focus on my other subjects a little more though.
If you do find AS maths a breeze then A2 shouldn't be significantly harder; you just learn more techniques and rules and you just need to learn how to use them. The only form of revision i've done for maths this year is past papers, especially over Easter hols and i'm set for A* if not close to full marks.

My advice to you is to learn a bit on basic differentiation and integration in the summer. Don't over do it because it can get quite complicated if it's new to you and you haven't done it before. The reason i'm suggesting this was because at GCSE I also did the FSMQ which is at a difficulty between A* GCSE and A-level maths and it had those topics in. What it meant though was that when it came to AS I already new about them and it made life so much easier.

Good luck with GCSE and feel free to ask if you need to know anything else.
Reply 18
TNX!!!! Now I have confidence I was just anxious about it cos I just was assuming it was tough by looking at maths and further maths a level....

No problem, and to answer your question about how many hours i spend doing maths during my free time, I spent about 1-2 hours in school time on some days if i have a lot of frees, but if I only have 1 free on a day i'll spend that free doing maths.

I don't take further maths myself so I can't speak from experience of how hard it is but from what Ive heard many people think its hard.
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
As someone said above, it does seem easier than most of the other subjects at A-level. I've always found that maths is my strong point so if you feel the same since you're predicted A* it shouldn't be too difficult in any way, as long as you stay on top of it and don't fall behind. I don't mean to brag, but I barely did AS Maths revision for my own reasons and I just got over an A (not that I recommend you don't revise). It did mean that I could focus on my other subjects a little more though.
If you do find AS maths a breeze then A2 shouldn't be significantly harder; you just learn more techniques and rules and you just need to learn how to use them. The only form of revision i've done for maths this year is past papers, especially over Easter hols and i'm set for A* if not close to full marks.

My advice to you is to learn a bit on basic differentiation and integration in the summer. Don't over do it because it can get quite complicated if it's new to you and you haven't done it before. The reason i'm suggesting this was because at GCSE I also did the FSMQ which is at a difficulty between A* GCSE and A-level maths and it had those topics in. What it meant though was that when it came to AS I already new about them and it made life so much easier.

Good luck with GCSE and feel free to ask if you need to know anything else.

Are you or have you done Further maths at A-levels, is it fun and easy if you are good at normal a level maths.

Quick Reply

Latest