The Student Room Group

Muslims: Opinions please

Scroll to see replies

Have a look at his deen. Will he encourage you to get closer to Allah? Or will you encourage him to get closer to Allah?

That's your main concern. Ofc there are many other important things. But don't forget this, hun x
Original post by MsFahima
Have a look at his deen. Will he encourage you to get closer to Allah? Or will you encourage him to get closer to Allah?

That's your main concern. Ofc there are many other important things. But don't forget this, hun x

Thanks for your advice. So for this I could ask whether he prays 5 times, goes to the mosque? Fasts? and is there anything else I could ask about how religious he is.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your advice. So for this I could ask whether he prays 5 times, goes to the mosque? Fasts? and is there anything else I could ask about how religious he is.

Ask him what he does in his free times? Has he read any islamic books? Ask him if he's excited for Ramadhan! :tongue:

But yeah, you'll see in his manner what he is like.

When a decision is needed to be made, do istikhaarah. Don't just say yes or no :smile:
Original post by Marzy-Sama
What do you look for in a husband?
Ask about his deen maybe? Try and find out how practicing he is? If that's what you're going after.
If you care about intellect, then enquire about his intelligence, and studies.
Talk about his job. Ask about his hobbies, see if they match yours to some extent.
Ask some sneaky psychological questions that would determine the type of personality he has, to see whether you like it or not.
You should also see what he looks for in a wife and consider whether you possess those qualities. Because this marriage is for both of you. Not just you, or just him.
Talk about his job and his earnings, if money is something you're after.
Ask if he has any illnesses maybe, so you're prepared for that.

But sister, I think you should mainly enquire about his Islam, and how practicing he is. Because at the end of the day, that's what matters the most. Because you must both work together to attain Jannah. And also, you need to keep in mind that he will be the father of your children.

So, ask yourself, what do you really want from him?

What do you mean by that? Questions such as ...?

I think they are all interested/motivated by that. :laugh:
Ask him what he does in his free times? Has he read any islamic books? Ask him if he's excited for Ramadhan! :tongue:

But yeah, you'll see in his manner what he is like.

When a decision is needed to be made, do istikhaarah. Don't just say yes or no :smile:

Thankss soo much :smile: this is really helpful. I will ask him some of those things.
Original post by RoyalMarine
Religion is ridicolous. Parents arranging a marriage in 2016?Calling other parents to make their son marry their daughter? I would run and punch anyone on my way even if it was my parents.

I know. What is ludicrous about this idea is that 99.9% of people in their late teens/early 20's change and evolve completely and change as a person.

Every guy/girl can agree with me that they aren't the same person they were back when they were 19/20 to when they were 23-25. The truth is that people change in their own directions and by settling into relationships early means that there is a high probability that you will grow apart as you haven't had time to find yourself or develop as a person.
My advice would simply be - take this matter extremely seriously. Literally half your deen - not exactly something to throw away. Make damn sure he's a good Muslim who will help you will help you whenever your imman is feeling weak or wherever it may waver slightly. And as for being shy or embarrassed, remember - he will potentially be your husband. He will see and know EVERYTHING in due course, if you take my meaning, so this isn't really too big a deal considering. Also, make sure he knows about his future - plans, can he support a family, is his plan any good, goals, aims etc. You don't want to marry and move in with him, only to find out he has no plans and has no ability to support a family.
Lastly, make sure you have similar interests. If you have plenty of things to connect on, like shared love of history/classical music/ tv etc or you will find it hard to be happy. If you have similar likes/dislikes - you're golden.
Asks him these questions:

-is he a feminist?
- Is he one of those controlling Pakistani men?
- Will equality be in their relationship?
-What does he think of you working after marriage? (even though he shouldn't have any opinion on it since its you who should think about)
Original post by BrokenLife

-is he a feminist?
-What does he think of you working after marriage? (even though he shouldn't have any opinion on it since its you who should think about)

Hahaha, they seem like some good questions. Btw I'm planning to marry an Indian man.
Hahaha, they seem like some good questions. Btw I'm planning to marry an Indian man.

Indian or Pakistani, same mentality of many. Not all, of course.:h:
Indian or Pakistani, same mentality of many. Not all, of course.:h:

Yes true lol
I pray Allah swt decides what's best for you and him Insha allah 💖
Original post by haj101

Ameen thankyou soo much for your dua, your so lovely :h:
Original post by Lord Samosa
Just ask him questions to get an idea of what he's like and if you'll be compatible

For example;

What are your hobbies?
How do you like to spend your free time?
Hopes for the future?
How big is your dick?
What kind of music are you into?

Loooooooooool hahahahahaha, id never ask that 4th qu until 2nd meet up :h:
Original post by darkvibes
So your gonna be his second wife? nice, just a hole for his dick

Lol no.
They need to attend a wedding this sunday :lolwut:

Thank you.
The thing is, i have been practising more; such as praying my daily prayers more often and stuff and reading Quran, Alhamdulillah.
But generally reiligion plays a big role in it for me so ill deffos ask him those qus.

Oh cool :smile: let me know how it goes. At least we're in the same boat, lol.

*ahem* my thread *ahem*
Jkjk :ninja:

Let me know how urs goes this sunday!
Original post by SGTMango
My advice would simply be - take this matter extremely seriously. Literally half your deen - not exactly something to throw away. Make damn sure he's a good Muslim who will help you will help you whenever your imman is feeling weak or wherever it may waver slightly. And as for being shy or embarrassed, remember - he will potentially be your husband. He will see and know EVERYTHING in due course, if you take my meaning, so this isn't really too big a deal considering. Also, make sure he knows about his future - plans, can he support a family, is his plan any good, goals, aims etc. You don't want to marry and move in with him, only to find out he has no plans and has no ability to support a family.
Lastly, make sure you have similar interests. If you have plenty of things to connect on, like shared love of history/classical music/ tv etc or you will find it hard to be happy. If you have similar likes/dislikes - you're golden.

I guess ur right..
Thank you :h:

-is he a feminist?

I dont know much about feminisim..

Original post by haj101

Ameen! Thank you 😘
Firstly, Assalam u Alaikum

Basically, i am a 19 year old girl who comes from a Muslim Pakistani family. Very recently ive my family have been looking for a bot for me to get married to. I.e. a rishta.
Ive had a few in the past of people calling the house but no response after that.
Just about a few days ago my mum had spoke to a woman who is looking for a girl for her son. She contacted my mum and they chatted for a while.

That same night she sent pictures of her son and requested mine in return. We sent my pics the next day. Now they called yesterday saying theyd like to come over to "see" me.

On one hand im nervous. Since it is my first rishta visit. Also, my family were saying to me that he will ask me questions and stuff when we speak and if i have questions to ask him i can.

and this is what this post is about.
What kinda stuff can i ask him, without being too much?

This may sound a bit ridiculous but maybe ask him if he'd look for a second wife in the future?
Reply 76
Firstly, Assalam u Alaikum

Basically, i am a 19 year old girl who comes from a Muslim Pakistani family. Very recently ive my family have been looking for a bot for me to get married to. I.e. a rishta.
Ive had a few in the past of people calling the house but no response after that.
Just about a few days ago my mum had spoke to a woman who is looking for a girl for her son. She contacted my mum and they chatted for a while.

That same night she sent pictures of her son and requested mine in return. We sent my pics the next day. Now they called yesterday saying theyd like to come over to "see" me.

On one hand im nervous. Since it is my first rishta visit. Also, my family were saying to me that he will ask me questions and stuff when we speak and if i have questions to ask him i can.

and this is what this post is about.
What kinda stuff can i ask him, without being too much?

Walaikum Asalaam sister...I pray Allah make it easy for you and him and may you come to the best conclusion :smile:
Original post by FluffyCherry
This may sound a bit ridiculous but maybe ask him if he'd look for a second wife in the future?

Really? :K:
Original post by h333
Walaikum Asalaam sister...I pray Allah make it easy for you and him and may you come to the best conclusion :smile:

Ameen :h:
Really? :K:

Ameen :h:

Yeah, like would it bother you personally if he looks for a second wife? If so, then ask him if he's interested in polygamy to avoid any arguments in the future.
Reply 79
Hi there,

Ask about movies too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest