The Student Room Group

Can I still be a doctor?

So I want to be a doctor but certain things make me SO queasy like the thought of needles in unholy places like going into the inside crease of someone's elbow or like poking into someone's fat, it's not so much blood and stuff, just certain things like that D: can I still be a doctor? Will I get used to it/be eased into that kind of stuff and be able to cope? Are there many med students/doctors who can sometimes feel a bit ill/fainty? Thanks D;

Scroll to see replies

Original post by white_o
So I want to be a doctor but certain things make me SO queasy like the thought of needles in unholy places like going into the inside crease of someone's elbow or like poking into someone's fat, it's not so much blood and stuff, just certain things like that D: can I still be a doctor? Will I get used to it/be eased into that kind of stuff and be able to cope? Are there many med students/doctors who can sometimes feel a bit ill/fainty? Thanks D;

the best thing you can do is get some work experience in a hospital (which can be hard, but always worth a try! phone up some different departments such as cardiology) and see how you feel. many people will be uncomfortable at first but will become accustomed to it after a while. being squeamish is not necessarily a dealbreaker in itself, but you should also think carefully about why you want to be a doctor.
I'm a little squeamish myself, and the thought of sticking my hands into a cadaver turns my stomach but I know that I at least don't faint or vomit so hopefully I will get used to it soon :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by thermometer
the best thing you can do is get some work experience in a hospital (which can be hard, but always worth a try! phone up some different departments such as cardiology) and see how you feel. many people will be uncomfortable at first but will become accustomed to it after a while. being squeamish is not necessarily a dealbreaker in itself, but you should also think carefully about why you want to be a doctor.
I'm a little squeamish myself, and the thought of sticking my hands into a cadaver turns my stomach but I know that I at least don't faint or vomit so hopefully I will get used to it soon :redface:

Thank you!:smile: I've actually got an offer for med school so been through the whole work experience thing, I came the closest I've ever been to fainting during a kidney biopsy (that's the kind of thing I mean, like needles going into squidgy organs D; ) but I feel like that had a lot to do with not having eaten and being stood up all day and the next day I managed to get through watching a bloody, gross central line insertion (or something :P)like it was a mixed bag with being okay with some stuff and feeling ill from others hahaa
The thought of cadavers doesn't bother me too much (I think >.<) ahaa, you a current med student then?
Reply 3
Anyone will feel faint watching a medical procedure if they haven't eaten and have been standing up all day,. Particularly in a warm room, or if you already hav a cold or something.

I hated needles before medical school. I am still not fond of them when they come near me, but I can stab needles into other people all day. Some things still get me though, and that's normal. Most of my friends have fainted/nearly fainting stories. I remember the first time we were taught blood taking I had to crouch in the corner of the room I felt so unwell.

It sounds like you've gotten through a few things already. Central line insertions are pretty invasive. If you managed that I'm sure you'll work through your fear of needles
Reply 4
Original post by Ghotay
Anyone will feel faint watching a medical procedure if they haven't eaten and have been standing up all day,. Particularly in a warm room, or if you already hav a cold or something.

I hated needles before medical school. I am still not fond of them when they come near me, but I can stab needles into other people all day. Some things still get me though, and that's normal. Most of my friends have fainted/nearly fainting stories. I remember the first time we were taught blood taking I had to crouch in the corner of the room I felt so unwell.

It sounds like you've gotten through a few things already. Central line insertions are pretty invasive. If you managed that I'm sure you'll work through your fear of needles

Sounds very promising, thanks very much :P
Original post by white_o
Thank you!:smile: I've actually got an offer for med school so been through the whole work experience thing, I came the closest I've ever been to fainting during a kidney biopsy (that's the kind of thing I mean, like needles going into squidgy organs D; ) but I feel like that had a lot to do with not having eaten and being stood up all day and the next day I managed to get through watching a bloody, gross central line insertion (or something :P)like it was a mixed bag with being okay with some stuff and feeling ill from others hahaa
The thought of cadavers doesn't bother me too much (I think >.<:wink: ahaa, you a current med student then?

that's good, sorry I didn't realise :colondollar: no I'm not a current student, but I also have offers so I will be if I meet the conditions! and that's a big "if", at the rate my studying is going now. :bebored:
your work experience sounds interesting, I didn't get to see any of the reaaal good stuff at mine haha.
even if you do feel ill or faint once at med school, I'd imagine no one is going to judge because you will definitely not be alone. these things take getting used to, and I think everyone will understand that!

during my research I have seen pictures of cadaveric dissection and it is not nice. not nice at all. good learning experience though :biggrin:

mind if I ask which med school you'll be going to?
Reply 6
that's good, sorry I didn't realise :colondollar: no I'm not a current student, but I also have offers so I will be if I meet the conditions! and that's a big "if", at the rate my studying is going now. :bebored:
your work experience sounds interesting, I didn't get to see any of the reaaal good stuff at mine haha.
even if you do feel ill or faint once at med school, I'd imagine no one is going to judge because you will definitely not be alone. these things take getting used to, and I think everyone will understand that!

during my research I have seen pictures of cadaveric dissection and it is not nice. not nice at all. good learning experience though :biggrin:

mind if I ask which med school you'll be going to?

It's fine ahaa, and ahhh cograts! That's literally me this year hahaha oh gosh, what grades did you get last year?
Yeah I was pretty lucky I had one intensely boring week then a really interesting one hahaa.
But yeah that's very true thanks :P hahaa yead definitely, the unis I have offers at do full body dissection, which was actually a selling point for me :P
I have offers from Sheffield and Notts, rejection from Newcastle (😭) then on hold for Leicester >.< although I think I'm going to have to withdraw Leicester and firm Sheff, I really like it and think it's my first choice.
How about you?:smile:
Original post by white_o
The thought of cadavers doesn't bother me too much (I think >.<:wink: ahaa, you a current med student then?

How was your medicine degree and where did you do it at? Would you recommend it?
Yes absolutely. You'll get used to it. You'd be surprised about how many medical students faint in their first dissection class or the first time they observe/assist in surgery, or the first time they see a major trauma. But you just get used to it and before you know it you'll be wondering why you ever thought it was an issue. Don't worry - you'll be fine!
Reply 9
Original post by reinaadira
How was your medicine degree and where did you do it at? Would you recommend it?

I've only got a conditional offer I haven't actually started it yet :P
Reply 10
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Yes absolutely. You'll get used to it. You'd be surprised about how many medical students faint in their first dissection class or the first time they observe/assist in surgery, or the first time they see a major trauma. But you just get used to it and before you know it you'll be wondering why you ever thought it was an issue. Don't worry - you'll be fine!

Sounds very reassuring, thanks!:P
Original post by white_o
It's fine ahaa, and ahhh cograts! That's literally me this year hahaha oh gosh, what grades did you get last year?
Yeah I was pretty lucky I had one intensely boring week then a really interesting one hahaa.
But yeah that's very true thanks :P hahaa yead definitely, the unis I have offers at do full body dissection, which was actually a selling point for me :P
I have offers from Sheffield and Notts, rejection from Newcastle (😭) then on hold for Leicester >.< although I think I'm going to have to withdraw Leicester and firm Sheff, I really like it and think it's my first choice.
How about you?:smile:

sounds good!! I have firmed glasgow and insured dundee, those were my first 2 choices :yep: I'm honestly SO excited to start that I can't focus on my upcoming exams at all - a bit counterproductive..!
anyway good luck!
Original post by white_o
I've only got a conditional offer I haven't actually started it yet :P

Oh, what A levels are you doing?
Where did you get an offer to?
What grades do you need to get to go?
Reply 13
sounds good!! I have firmed glasgow and insured dundee, those were my first 2 choices :yep: I'm honestly SO excited to start that I can't focus on my upcoming exams at all - a bit counterproductive..!
anyway good luck!

Ahh that's awesome congrats! Exactly same here hahaa, good luck to you too though I'm sure we'll make it over the final hurdle :P
Reply 14
Original post by reinaadira
Oh, what A levels are you doing?
Where did you get an offer to?
What grades do you need to get to go?

I'm doing chemistry, biology and maths, I have offers from Sheffield and Nottingham and on the waitlist for Leicester, and I need AAA for all of them :smile:
Original post by white_o
I'm doing chemistry, biology and maths, I have offers from Sheffield and Nottingham and on the waitlist for Leicester, and I need AAA for all of them :smile:

hmm I always wondered why english unis wanted AAA when scottish unis only want BBB or AB. I know you have A*s which we dont but still.. :confused:
Reply 16
hmm I always wondered why english unis wanted AAA when scottish unis only want BBB or AB. I know you have A*s which we dont but still.. :confused:

Do they want BBB in A Levels or Scottish qualifications? It's probably just that there's no A* so BBB is like equivalent to AAA hahaa, I've heard loads of stuff about grade inflation, most medical schools used to have lower entry requirements but they've risen over the years
Original post by white_o

Psychiatry :yep:
Reply 18
Original post by prospectivemed56
Psychiatry :yep:

Looool literally, genuinely interested in it but from my experience I feel like psychiatry is just all medication
Reply 19
I used to feel ill just watching surgery on the TV, my first day on placement they put me in theatres to observe and by the end of the day I was getting in as close as I could without getting in the way.

I still can't watch surgery on TV though, go figure...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending