The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fire_and_ice
It's a selfish, cowardly and greedy escape. Sounds horrible, but it's the reality.

What's more greedy and selfish is forcing someone to live because YOU want them to live and all you can think about is the impact of their death on you rather than what they're feeling.
Nope. Why on earth would i feel angry?
Reply 22
Original post by Lord Samosa
I know, but suicide is never the answer, and people in that situation need to realise that. It can take a while to stop thinking that way for some.

Suicide is often said to be 'a permanent solution to a temporary problem' and whilst I take that on board; as many have stated already, it's incredibly easy to dismiss this when you're in that position.
Yes. i did.
feel really really awful about it but was angry at that person :redface: don't forgive myself over it but that is just how i felt at the time
I'd feel broken. If I felt angry, it would only be because I felt I was partially responsible for not supporting them enough or for not stopping them, whether that was true or not.

I remember my family felt very angry when it came to my own attempts and my friend, when she lost her cousin to hanging, felt so lost for a long time but never angry.

To those who say its cowardly and greedy, you're being ridiculously unfair. It's actually more selfish to think that way - you're thinking more about what you have to cope with post-suicide than bearing in mind what actually got this poor guy or girl to such a point. I mean, having experienced it first hand, I can tell you that you are literally going to feel like you have no options. The mind is so damn powerful and knowing the right thing to do does not mean you can apply it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Someone I knew committed suicide recently. I felt angry, but not at them, just in general. More sad. I wasn't very close to them. If a close friend did I would feel angry at myself for not having been able to help.
Original post by Anonymous
how would you feel is someone who you knew committed suicide or attempted?

My dad committed suicide just over two years ago. Still dont know how to feel about it now, dont think you really process it when youre actually in the situation.
Original post by Lord Samosa
People feeing suicidal mostly aren't thinking straight. Sometimes you can feel like that's the only escape, you get so lost in your own thoughts you convince yourself that it's the right decision. Not fair to call it selfish and cowardly. They key thing for people feeing like this is to be able to talk to someone and snap out of it. And like you said, find some sort of purpose and get through their tough time.

Yes, which is why the person going through the stage of depression should be made aware of the different and healthy methods of 'escape' available to them, like counseling, medication, psychotherapy or even self-deception. Resulting to suicide prior to the act without any sort of guidance or attempt to stand up to is plain ignorance and stupidity. Easier said than done, but a transition needs to be made from their subjective point of view to an objective one in order to see the bigger picture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Honestly i would be heart broken. And will be not be able to forget for a very very very long time. Maybe until i die idk.
Original post by Poooky
What's more greedy and selfish is forcing someone to live because YOU want them to live and all you can think about is the impact of their death on you rather than what they're feeling.

So you condone suicide as opposed to medical attention or other methods that could potentially make the subject 'healthy' again?
Reply 30
Yes, which is why the person going through the stage of depression should be made aware of the different and healthy methods of 'escape' available to them, like counseling, medication, psychotherapy or even self-deception. Resulting to suicide prior to the act without any sort of guidance or attempt to stand up to is plain ignorance and stupidity. Easier said than done, but a transition needs to be made from their subjective point of view to an objective one in order to see the bigger picture.

It's incredibly difficult to see the 'bigger' picture if you're in that position though.
Original post by Deyesy
It's incredibly difficult to see the 'bigger' picture if you're in that position though.

Once again, which is why exactly that person should be educated of the pettiness of the issue through professional assistance. Or even educating yourself about a few psychological methods is strong enough to pull you out of that well.
more upsetting then anything else. and yes i have lost at least one due to this cause.
Once again, which is why exactly that person should be educated of the pettiness of the issue through professional assistance. Or even educating yourself about a few psychological methods is strong enough to pull you out of that well.

It doesn't always work though. People can go through counselling and educate themselves about this stuff and still feel they have no other option.
Reply 34

No-one's feelings or what they're going through should ever be seen as petty. They're just as valid as anybody else's.
I certainly would not be angry at them, one of my closest friends was in that situation last year and if anything I felt guilty that I didn't try and do more to help and angry that the mental health system wasn't able to help her before she tried.
However, knowing why she felt that way and knowing the emotional pain she was going through at the time I could understand why she did. she's actually one of the strongest and most resilient people I ve ever met.
Original post by Deyesy
No-one's feelings or what they're going through should ever be seen as petty. They're just as valid as anybody else's.

Regardless, the bottom line is that suicide is an ignorant decision to make, and subjects of depression should be educated about other options and seeking help.
Reply 37
Regardless, the bottom line is that suicide is an ignorant decision to make, and subjects of depression should be educated about other options and seeking help.

Suicide isn't an ignorant decision and stigmatising it in the way you are; will only put people off opening up about it - which in itself could dangerous.
Original post by ZuluK

This song always comes to mind. :frown:

Who let the onions out? :rant:
My brother committed suicide, and the only people who were angry were his newer friends who weren't aware of the severe depression he had at the time and for years before, so I think there's a link there. I thought of it more as losing him to an illness...I didn't think of the suicide as something that he did, but as something his depression made him do, so nothing to be angry about. And I guess that wasn't the case for his friends who were completely shocked by his suicide, so some of them were angry because he didn't tell them.

Quick Reply