The Student Room Group

Going on holiday alone?

I'm 23 and starting a PGCE course this September. I haven't been on holiday at all for around 4 years and I've spent the last 2 years working so hard to get onto my PGCE. I really wanted a holiday this summer just before I start my PGCE, but none of my friends are able to go at the moment. I'm so tempted to book a week in Greece all on my own, where I can sit by the pool, read a few books etc. Do you think I'll look like a total loner?
Nope, I'm planning to do the same in the summer.

Hopefully going to Amsterdam so I can walk around the city and read books in the park :h:
Reply 2
You won't look like a loner, loads of people go travelling alone. It's probably better because you'll be able to do what you want at your own pace. It'll be nice to get a bit of you time before starting your course. Just book it and have a good time!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Hopefully going to Amsterdam so I can walk around the city and read books in the park :h:

Amsterdam is amazing! Perfect place to explore alone :smile: I'm just not sure if I'll feel a bit lonely after spending a week alone on the beach :')
Reply 4
Original post by aarora
You won't look like a loner, loads of people go travelling alone. It's probably better because you'll be able to do what you want at your own pace. It'll be nice to get a bit of you time before starting your course. Just book it and have a good time!! :smile:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking :smile: thanks I think I'm just going to go for it!
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

sounds fun
Don't worry about what other people think! Plus, travelling alone can be a blast. Doing things completely your way makes a lovely change from the usual holiday with friends, so I'd say give it a go!
Reply 7
I went for four days on my own to Lisbon last year and when I told people at work that I was going alone I remember several people telling me that how I was brave lol. Maybe there were some quietly thinking otherwise but who cares, it's your life and you might as well live it :smile:
Reply 8
I know what you mean, I'm a bit worried about my holiday this year, I'm travelling America, I'm going on my own, its a tour group, but the woman i booked with told me that I'm the youngest person on the trip, and everyone else is retired couples, so I'm a bit worried because I was hoping to meet other people and go off with them, but that won't be the case since theyre a lot older and all couples, who will do things together.
I'm going to look like a right loner on the trip, I really wanted to meet others, and take lots of photos for my memories, but I hate taking photos on my own, I feel like a weirdo when taking photos on my own.
Reply 9
Original post by DW1994
I know what you mean, I'm a bit worried about my holiday this year, I'm travelling America, I'm going on my own, its a tour group, but the woman i booked with told me that I'm the youngest person on the trip, and everyone else is retired couples, so I'm a bit worried because I was hoping to meet other people and go off with them, but that won't be the case since theyre a lot older and all couples, who will do things together.
I'm going to look like a right loner on the trip, I really wanted to meet others, and take lots of photos for my memories, but I hate taking photos on my own, I feel like a weirdo when taking photos on my own.

How much did you pay? Could you give me a link to the website please.. I also want to travel America with a tour group.

Thanks
Go for it. I did a week in Barcelona last May after a bad break up. It was...enlightening. I really wanted to spend the week alone just thinking and having some peace but some blokes from Kent decided to adopt me so that peace went out the window. Traveling alone is great, teaches you a lot about yourself. Or at least it did for me because I'd never been single and had no idea what to do with myself. Just had another break up and I'm tempted to do a short city break or something.
Reply 11
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Go for it. I did a week in Barcelona last May after a bad break up. It was...enlightening. I really wanted to spend the week alone just thinking and having some peace but some blokes from Kent decided to adopt me so that peace went out the window. Traveling alone is great, teaches you a lot about yourself. Or at least it did for me because I'd never been single and had no idea what to do with myself. Just had another break up and I'm tempted to do a short city break or something.

You are really brave girl.. Wish I was like you.. Where have you travelled?
I wanna travel but too scared to... Might get robbed, murdered bla bla... From friends experience so it scared me
Original post by ShubKaii
You are really brave girl.. Wish I was like you.. Where have you travelled?
I wanna travel but too scared to... Might get robbed, murdered bla bla... From friends experience so it scared me

Reading blogs and things might help, like this: http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/female-travel-safety/
Original post by emilyyou
I'm 23 and starting a PGCE course this September. I haven't been on holiday at all for around 4 years and I've spent the last 2 years working so hard to get onto my PGCE. I really wanted a holiday this summer just before I start my PGCE, but none of my friends are able to go at the moment. I'm so tempted to book a week in Greece all on my own, where I can sit by the pool, read a few books etc. Do you think I'll look like a total loner?
You should definitely go for it! you'll probably regret it if you don't. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest