The Student Room Group

Best uni for audiology?

What UNIS are considered the best for audiology, from research it seems DMU Manchester and Southampton are the best ones. Does anyone have any experience in the audiology field or knows none. Any information relating to audiology will be of great help.

Scroll to see replies

At undergraduate level I don't think it really matters where you do it.
Reply 2
Audio what?
Original post by wdkmwd
Audio what?

literally one of the most pointless comments ive seen.
Reply 4
Have a look at unistats to compare courses. I have kids so I'm only looking at unis close enough to commute.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
What UNIS are considered the best for audiology, from research it seems DMU Manchester and Southampton are the best ones. Does anyone have any experience in the audiology field or knows none. Any information relating to audiology will be of great help.

leeds, Manchester and Southampton are russel group unis so they'll be better than aston and DMU. I went to see Manchester uni but I didn't like it. the audiology area was lacking for me compared to leeds that had modern equipment; Manchester seemed dated. I think southamptons the best. if you look at stats its in the top 1% of unis worldwide and top for the course in the UK. DMU has the lowest satisfaction ratings.
Reply 6
It's also worth visiting the unis you are thinking of. Although the course is (on paper) the same everywhere, each place has a different feel and the staff have different specialities and interests. I visited Middlesex, Southampton and de Montford and was impressed with each of these and would have been content with a place at any of these. But I knew after visiting Southampton that this was where I wanted to be - I could just see myself fitting in and studying here.
Original post by ayeeel
It's also worth visiting the unis you are thinking of. Although the course is (on paper) the same everywhere, each place has a different feel and the staff have different specialities and interests. I visited Middlesex, Southampton and de Montford and was impressed with each of these and would have been content with a place at any of these. But I knew after visiting Southampton that this was where I wanted to be - I could just see myself fitting in and studying here.

Ive chosen DMU because i prefer the atmosphere aswell as the voluntary work and DMU global.

I would love to go to southampton i did get an offer but it was too far for me, plus i dont think id get the grades to go there.

What subjects are you doing atm and what are you predicted?
Reply 8
Ive chosen DMU because i prefer the atmosphere aswell as the voluntary work and DMU global.

I would love to go to southampton i did get an offer but it was too far for me, plus i dont think id get the grades to go there.

What subjects are you doing atm and what are you predicted?

I started at Southampton this year :smile:
Original post by ayeeel
I started at Southampton this year :smile:

What subjects did you do?
Reply 10
What subjects did you do?

I'm a mature student - long time since I did exams, so that wasn't needed for my offer :smile:

I've worked in the D/deaf community, helped set up a tinnitus support group and know some BSL, so that was the main basis of my application.
Original post by ayeeel
I'm a mature student - long time since I did exams, so that wasn't needed for my offer :smile:

I've worked in the D/deaf community, helped set up a tinnitus support group and know some BSL, so that was the main basis of my application.

Wow nice, if you could help that would be great.

Whats it like if you do know to work in the private sector compared to the NHS what jobs are you required. In the private for example its about selling hearing aids fitting etc but how popular are private hearing aids? Do you happen to know how what the demand for audiology in relation to salary is atm?

I love hearing and find it fascinating so dont think im just concerned about the job or salary its mainly because its very difficult to find any definitive answers and with your experience was hoping you might know.
Reply 12
My brother dud Audiology he said Aston is really good for it
Reply 13

Whats it like if you do know to work in the private sector compared to the NHS what jobs are you required. In the private for example its about selling hearing aids fitting etc but how popular are private hearing aids? Do you happen to know how what the demand for audiology in relation to salary is atm?

I love hearing and find it fascinating so dont think im just concerned about the job or salary its mainly because its very difficult to find any definitive answers and with your experience was hoping you might know.

I'm not really the right person to answer your questions about working in the private sector as my dealings have mostly been with NHS Audiology, and that is where my personal interest lies. But from what I've seen, some people prefer to purchase hearing aids privately, sometimes because that's just their personal preference (political or otherwise). Sometimes people go privately because they have more choice, whereas the NHS route would (I think) tend to recommend one specific make and model of hearing aid to meet your needs. Sometimes people prefer to purchase something that is top of the range and cutting edge (NHS lags only a little behind). Some NHS Audiology departments aren't able to offer home visits to people whose health doesn't allow them to get to the hospital easily (e.g. nursing or residential homes, or mobility difficulties) and private providers will generally come out to see you where you live at no extra cost. Some wealthier areas of the country will probably have more people who buy hearing aids privately, although I have seen people from all walks of life with private aids.

From what I've heard from students graduating, there is plenty of work available in both the private sector and NHS. Lots of final year students already have jobs lined up.

do you have any audiology related work experience?

I had an observation day at amplifon and it seemed like a really nice place to work in. the audiologist said she gets paid double what she did when working in the nhs and she got a company care and phone. She also said its a better place to work in because you have a smaller number of patients who will only see you.
there's a really big variety of hearing aid available if you buy them privately, and they are better than the ones provided by the nhs, so they are popular. the branch I went to makes around £20,000 a month, so there is money in it.

Ii don't think you should worry too much about job availability as there is a need for audiologists because of the ageing population.
Original post by maryamkhan60
do you have any audiology related work experience?

I had an observation day at amplifon and it seemed like a really nice place to work in. the audiologist said she gets paid double what she did when working in the nhs and she got a company care and phone. She also said its a better place to work in because you have a smaller number of patients who will only see you.
there's a really big variety of hearing aid available if you buy them privately, and they are better than the ones provided by the nhs, so they are popular. the branch I went to makes around £20,000 a month, so there is money in it.

Ii don't think you should worry too much about job availability as there is a need for audiologists because of the ageing population.

Yeh i know about the job demand but the first part you mentioned has helped clear things alot, so if the NHS is on around 24k im guessing the private practice you visited was earning around 40?
Yeh i know about the job demand but the first part you mentioned has helped clear things alot, so if the NHS is on around 24k im guessing the private practice you visited was earning around 40?

No, I would say the NHS is around £21,000 and yes, the private must around that figure but I wouldn't expect to get that straightaway as the audiologist there had worked in the NHS for 5 years and in her current job for 2 years. I would say that you get paid more with the more experience you have and the more you work at the company. If you go on job sites and search audiologist, there are listings with wages of up to £50,000, with lots around 30-40k. It depends on where you work, for instance specsavers wouldn't pay as much as somewhere like boots.
No, I would say the NHS is around £21,000 and yes, the private must around that figure but I wouldn't expect to get that straightaway as the audiologist there had worked in the NHS for 5 years and in her current job for 2 years. I would say that you get paid more with the more experience you have and the more you work at the company. If you go on job sites and search audiologist, there are listings with wages of up to £50,000, with lots around 30-40k. It depends on where you work, for instance specsavers wouldn't pay as much as somewhere like boots.

From what unis have stated as well as people it seems the average starting in the private in the first year or two is around 30k and this increases to 40+ later. I tried looking at dubai and other countries but couldnt find any stats or income related information regarding audiology? Dont know if you know?
From what unis have stated as well as people it seems the average starting in the private in the first year or two is around 30k and this increases to 40+ later. I tried looking at dubai and other countries but couldnt find any stats or income related information regarding audiology? Dont know if you know?

I've never thought of abroad before, but I just tried and the only one I've found is for America. 8 years ago the median salary for an audiologist working in a private practice was £46,110 and those earning in the top ten percent had there own practices and made around £69,609. But that was in 2008 and America.

Can you even practise as an audiologist abroad? Different countries have different requirements for registering as an audiologist
I've never thought of abroad before, but I just tried and the only one I've found is for America. 8 years ago the median salary for an audiologist working in a private practice was £46,110 and those earning in the top ten percent had there own practices and made around £69,609. But that was in 2008 and America.

Can you even practise as an audiologist abroad? Different countries have different requirements for registering as an audiologist

Yeh im surprised you didnt know, you work globally because theres such a demand for it. Even with a degree from the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest