The Student Room Group

Studying Mathematics at University

I'm currently in year 12 and studying AS and A2 Maths, AS Further Maths AS Physics and BTEC Level 3 Engineering with targets of straight As at AS with >95 UMS targets in all the Math Units. I wish to study Mathematics at a high tier University (as high as possible) but I didn't put much effort into GCSEs getting 1A* 3As 5Bs and D 😔 will this be a problem when trying to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Bath and the likes?
Reply 1
Original post by Fugro123
I'm currently in year 12 and studying AS and A2 Maths, AS Further Maths AS Physics and BTEC Level 3 Engineering with targets of straight As at AS with >95 UMS targets in all the Math Units. I wish to study Mathematics at a high tier University (as high as possible) but I didn't put much effort into GCSEs getting 1A* 3As 5Bs and D 😔 will this be a problem when trying to apply for Cambridge, Warwick, Bath and the likes?

Apart from Cambridge, the other unis don't look at GCSE grades.
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Apart from Cambridge, the other unis don't look at GCSE grades.

Awesome good to hear! How much do Cambridge look at it like will I not get in with those or will it just be a possible decision maker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Awesome good to hear! How much do Cambridge look at it like will I not get in with those or will it just be a possible decision maker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Zacken could probably answer this far better than me
Oxbridge and ICL place a fair amount of emphasis on GCSEs but I don't see why you'd have a problem getting into one of the others :biggrin:
I thought Cambridge looked at AS UMS not GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Indeterminate
Oxbridge and ICL place a fair amount of emphasis on GCSEs but I don't see why you'd have a problem getting into one of the others :biggrin:

ICL?
Original post by ODES_PDES
ICL?

Imperial :tongue:
Original post by Indeterminate
Imperial :tongue:

Aah
:smile:
Reply 9

You will really need FM at full A-Level for Cambridge. That's more important than GCSEs (which Cambridge is not that interested in).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You will really need FM at full A-Level for Cambridge. That's more important than GCSEs (which Cambridge is not that interested in).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. It's Oxford that's more interested in GCSE's right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Currently yes. However cambridge still look at them as the process is holistic and with as ums potentially not existing for mos subjects (unless they do a lot of messing around with the raw scores) i guess its possible that for some subjects gcses will be slightly more inportant than they once were. This probably doesnt apply for maths, at least not yet as they will still have as ums this year
Reply 12
Original post by samb1234
Currently yes. However cambridge still look at them as the process is holistic and with as ums potentially not existing for mos subjects (unless they do a lot of messing around with the raw scores) i guess its possible that for some subjects gcses will be slightly more inportant than they once were. This probably doesnt apply for maths, at least not yet as they will still have as ums this year

No, Cambridge ATs on TSR have said GCSEs will not be more important than previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford is much more interested in the MAT than GCSEs for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No, Cambridge ATs on TSR have said GCSEs will not be more important than previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're introducing entry exams right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
They're introducing entry exams right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but not for Maths. They still have STEP as a key selection requirement.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admissions-assessments
Original post by jneill
Oxford is much more interested in the MAT than GCSEs for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But MAT is so easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be doing the full A2 in Further Maths next year just I'm doing the A2 Maths this year so I can do an AS in Additional Further Maths also next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I will be doing the full A2 in Further Maths next year just I'm doing the A2 Maths this year so I can do an AS in Additional Further Maths also next year

Then you're good to go :smile:

Also, check out the STEP prep thread (although not a priority until next year!):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3478331
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
Then you're good to go :smile:

Also, check out the STEP prep thread (although not a priority until next year!):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3478331

Alright sweet cheers for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending