The Student Room Group

Road to A*A*A*

Scroll to see replies

Nice going on U5 :five: Good base to work with, keep working!
Original post by PlayerBB
Yeah it is!!! Do you think I should revise all of As bio or just certain topics? I know it's a bit late since I am revising it now but I have discovered I should recently :frown:

Thank you so much!! :h:

You'll want a good understanding of AS topics, especially core practicals. Just understanding the bold key words in the AS book gives you an advantage, as a majority of people sitting the exam will have never gone back to look over the AS content. Don't be disheartened :h: For me past papers were the key.
Reply 182
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Nice going on U5 :five: Good base to work with, keep working!

Thank you Ayman!!! Hopefully I will :five:
Reply 183
Original post by PsychoD
You'll want a good understanding of AS topics, especially core practicals. Just understanding the bold key words in the AS book gives you an advantage, as a majority of people sitting the exam will have never gone back to look over the AS content. Don't be disheartened :h: For me past papers were the key.

Thank you, I will definitely devote some time then for As topics!! :h: And same for me, I understand the content more by going through past papers
Reply 184
I have devoted these three days, that I haven't posted in, to complete understanding to topics that i was 50% sure about! Plus I was lazy and did like 50% of what should be done each day so that's why it took three days while it should take less. :frown:
Reply 185
Today Goals:

Solve Bio unit 6 June 2012

Revise Bio Topic 5

Revise Chemistry Unit 4 - two topics

I know it's really that I haven't started properly with past papers but like i am really trying and many people have told me, like I have to revise bio and chemistry at least once before starting off on past papers so that's what I am doing

Note: I have recorded yesterday my unit 6 practicals so that's whenever, I wake up in the morning instead of playing a song, I can play a unit 6 practical since the details are really easy to forget
(edited 8 years ago)
I have devoted these three days, that I haven't posted in, to complete understanding to topics that i was 50% sure about! Plus I was lazy and did like 50% of what should be done each day so that's why it took three days while it should take less. :frown:

Everyone has those type of days :sadnod: , just try your best to not procrastinating too much from now on :tongue:

A tip to stop procrastinating would be, that if you want those A*'s, you're not going to get it, unless you do hardwork, especially at this time when the exams are so near :eek3:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by SaadKaleem
Everyone has those type of days :sadnod: , just try your best to not procrastinating too much from now on :tongue:

A tip to stop procrastinating would be, that if you want those A*'s, you're not going to get it, unless you do hardwork, especially at this time when the exams are so near :eek3:

Thank you Saad, I hate those types of days, I don't know why I am having them now!!!
Yeah I am trying like my best to not procrastinate, in fact, I started turning off the wifi for limited periods because whenever a notification comes up, I can't handle but open it!!

Yes Indeed and I really really really want those A*'s Thank you for the tip!! :yy: :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Love your blog

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Im doing AS and struggling, panicking for exams, I have no idea how to answer application questions and HSW questions?? Any advice
Reply 190
Original post by FREYA2898
Love your blog

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Original post by Mina_
Im doing AS and struggling, panicking for exams, I have no idea how to answer application questions and HSW questions?? Any advice

Heyy, first of all you should not be panicking, as panicking will not benefit you in any way but keeping you stressed. The best advice I can give you is you have to solve past papers as much as you can but when you get questions right or wrong, learn how the model answer is structured and the keywords. For the application and HSW questions, the more you solve the more you'll get used to them, whenever you don't know the answer for a HSW or application question, I advise you to search on the Internet about the topic of the question and just know more information about it, the more you understand what's this question is about, the more you guarantee to get full ums in it.

In As, I used to get low marks at first then after solving like 7 past papers or so I started reaching high ums marks, sometimes even full ums, so you need the dedication and be optimistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Today Goals:

Correct the paper I solved yesterday

Solve January 2012 BIO Unit 6

Revise topic 6 bio

Revise Chemistry unit 4 Equilibria&Application of Equilibria

A motivation quote to remember
Reply 193
Today Goals:

Solve January 2010 Bio unit 4

Solve January 2010 Bio unit 5

Solve January 2010 Bio unit 6

Revise Chemistry unit 5

Although I haven't finished revising bio, but like i am BORED from revising, wasting needed time instead of finishing it fast, i am just being lazy and taking so long and plus I am really worried that I haven't started properly with past papers so I am taking the risk of solving, anything that I have forgot, I will just look over my notes then after chemistry unit 6 exam, I will revise other people notes

Tomorrow is my GRADUATION, really weird right, how time passed so fast, 2 months ago we started practicing for it and almost 2 months from now I will be finishing externals......... Yeah so freaking fast!!
Good luck with the papers! Remember that there are old SNAB papers if you complete all of the new ones (not compulsory haha) :h:
Reply 195
Original post by PsychoD
Good luck with the papers! Remember that there are old SNAB papers if you complete all of the new ones (not compulsory haha) :h:

Thank you!! :h:
Really, I would love to solve them if I had the enough time, do you know where I can find them? And is the speciation really different ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope that you succeed in your goals, which I am sure you will, because I made an absolute mess of A2 after a decent AS and reading this blog makes it feel like I have been on this journey with you
:beer:
Reply 197
Original post by Kieran1996
Hope that you succeed in your goals, which I am sure you will, because I made an absolute mess of A2 after a decent AS and reading this blog makes it feel like I have been on this journey with you
:beer:

Wow thank you so much like it really feel amazing hearing that my blog is just not that useless like this is what I really wanted from it, allowing people to experience this journey with me! :redface:

Hope I really succeed in achieving my goal and making myself and everyone else proud :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, really great results at AS, I'm feeling a bit down with my AS level subjects because I am not getting the grades I want to be getting. Could you please just tell me what you did to revise because I don't think I am "revising smart".Im doing all 3 subejcts you are doing but AQA for bio and chem and edexcel for maths.

Thank you and good luck!

Hey! I know I am little late, but after reading many of the blogs, I decided to do my own to motivate myself.

My past
Well at GCSE i got A* A*AAAABB with an A* in Maths (194/200) and in Arabic (90/100) (I was 1 mark off an A* in Physics and 3 marks off in ICT) . Honestly at GCSE I was totally moving in the wrong direction, I had friends who didn't care about what results would they get so did I, until I have realized about 3 weeks before exams that I really want to study in the UK ( I am an international student) so I tried really hard in the last minute to cope with the subjects and ended up going to exams with just solving 3 past papers of each subject.

I was surprisingly impressed with my results and decided that I really have to work hard in year 12 so I did and got 3As at AS-Level in Chemistry, Maths and Biology

AS Exam Results

Spoiler

Now
so I started year 13 thinking I just have to cope with my teachers and do well as in AS but SURPRISINGLY I have found out that my school don't offer A2 chemistry and Biology anymore due to lack of students (actually there were only two) so I decided that I have to study them on my own

I have also decided that I need to do A2 maths in January to relieve some of the stress, and since my Maths teacher refused to give any help, I taught it to myself and did it
January Exam Results

Spoiler

My classmates always criticized me and told me that this year I will feel how to get a U like, it has left a serious impact on myself so I want to prove to them and to myself that I am capable of doing it

I want to get 3A* (After January results now I am aiming for A*A*A in Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively) because my parents don't have the capability to pay the full international fees + accommodation + living costs so I need to get 3A* to guarantee that my firm university will offer me a scholarship as it's really competent and so I can live my dream of studying in the UK and be proud of myself for a once.

I am so distracted and really scared that I won't achieve it so I made this blog to motivate me to follow my dream and not to give up!

June 2016 exams:

Spoiler

Hey! I know I am little late, but after reading many of the blogs, I decided to do my own to motivate myself.

My past
Well at GCSE i got A* A*AAAABB with an A* in Maths (194/200) and in Arabic (90/100) (I was 1 mark off an A* in Physics and 3 marks off in ICT) . Honestly at GCSE I was totally moving in the wrong direction, I had friends who didn't care about what results would they get so did I, until I have realized about 3 weeks before exams that I really want to study in the UK ( I am an international student) so I tried really hard in the last minute to cope with the subjects and ended up going to exams with just solving 3 past papers of each subject.

I was surprisingly impressed with my results and decided that I really have to work hard in year 12 so I did and got 3As at AS-Level in Chemistry, Maths and Biology

AS Exam Results

Spoiler

Now
so I started year 13 thinking I just have to cope with my teachers and do well as in AS but SURPRISINGLY I have found out that my school don't offer A2 chemistry and Biology anymore due to lack of students (actually there were only two) so I decided that I have to study them on my own

I have also decided that I need to do A2 maths in January to relieve some of the stress, and since my Maths teacher refused to give any help, I taught it to myself and did it
January Exam Results

Spoiler

My classmates always criticized me and told me that this year I will feel how to get a U like, it has left a serious impact on myself so I want to prove to them and to myself that I am capable of doing it

I want to get 3A* (After January results now I am aiming for A*A*A in Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively) because my parents don't have the capability to pay the full international fees + accommodation + living costs so I need to get 3A* to guarantee that my firm university will offer me a scholarship as it's really competent and so I can live my dream of studying in the UK and be proud of myself for a once.

I am so distracted and really scared that I won't achieve it so I made this blog to motivate me to follow my dream and not to give up!

June 2016 exams:

Spoiler

Reply 199
Original post by risquetmd
Hey, really great results at AS, I'm feeling a bit down with my AS level subjects because I am not getting the grades I want to be getting. Could you please just tell me what you did to revise because I don't think I am "revising smart".Im doing all 3 subejcts you are doing but AQA for bio and chem and edexcel for maths.

Thank you and good luck!

As I have said in my previous post, the best technique is the known technique which is PAST PAPERS, solve them once or twice, the more the better, but also when solving them you have to truly understand why did you get this answer wrong so you won't repeat it again in another form of this question, search the internet, ask questions on tsr, don't be limited to only what\s written on the mark scheme when it gets to getting wrong answers. Time yourself when solving past papers and be precise when you correct past papers. When you reach a topic that don't quite understand or you forgot, revise it from your notes, other people notes. That's honestly half what I did at As and I got what I needed so I am sure if you follow these you'll get more than you need. Best of luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending