The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiny92
Don't be disheartened. Additionally don't do the BPTC without a scholarship or Pupillage. Be a paralegal in a litigation firm. It will A) help your chances of getting Pupillage/scholarship B) give you loads of exp C) aid your knowledge of practice and increase your chances of getting better grades.

The BPTC is an absolute sham. Don't put yourself in financial difficult over. You'll probably still be in -school-uni-BPTC-barrister-QC - five easy steps mode. I was and so many of my friends were. Honestly it won't matter. Give yourself a year to recoup

Annoyingly, I'm a mature student so already have quite considerable experience, good academics (but not Oxbridge), mooting experience and several mini-pupillages. Working as a paralegal is a pretty significant step backwards for me. But yeah, I always knew it was going to be an uphill battle. I'm tempted to do the BPTC part-time if I don't get a pupillage this time round, but of course, I am concerned about committing to the course without any guarantees. Tricky situation!! Anyway, thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated and I will definitely take it into consideration.
Reply 921
Original post by wannabeebar
Annoyingly, I'm a mature student so already have quite considerable experience, good academics (but not Oxbridge), mooting experience and several mini-pupillages. Working as a paralegal is a pretty significant step backwards for me. But yeah, I always knew it was going to be an uphill battle. I'm tempted to do the BPTC part-time if I don't get a pupillage this time round, but of course, I am concerned about committing to the course without any guarantees. Tricky situation!! Anyway, thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated and I will definitely take it into consideration.

That's fair. Very best of luck for getting a Pupillage and I hope it works out :smile:

Part-time is a seriously bad idea. I wish someone had of told me that when I started it.

You miss out on loads. Trying to find the time to do the work is insanely difficult if you're working at the same time. You miss out on the collegiate environment, as you're sat doing the work alone at home. The course isn't designed to be part-time, it is a full-time course that the part-timers just work around. The best example I have is the fact that there was a drafting question on last years Civil exam, but the part-timers at my provider didn't do drafting until second year. All the full timers recognised what the question was getting at and did well, the part-timers didn't have a clue!
Original post by Darth Ash
Part-time is a seriously bad idea. I wish someone had of told me that when I started it.

You miss out on loads. Trying to find the time to do the work is insanely difficult if you're working at the same time. You miss out on the collegiate environment, as you're sat doing the work alone at home. The course isn't designed to be part-time, it is a full-time course that the part-timers just work around. The best example I have is the fact that there was a drafting question on last years Civil exam, but the part-timers at my provider didn't do drafting until second year. All the full timers recognised what the question was getting at and did well, the part-timers didn't have a clue!

I think there is another way of looking at this - I did the part time course at BPP and found that:
- there was a really collegiate spirit - we spent many weekends in class together and often met up outside of it;
- it was fascinating learning from people who had such diverse backgrounds - we had the Chief Constable from a major police force with us and he gave such an amazing insight/was everyone's best friend in criminal lit ;-);
- the pupillage success rate was very high after the course;
- we had practising barristers teaching us at the weekends as the full time academic staff were off. This gave it a really practical focus and was also great for building up your profile with local Chambers;
- it's a great way of continuing to gain work experience whilst you study and earn an income thus taking the pressure away when you start pupillage.

Obviously neither way is right or wrong and it depends on the individual but I certainly found it a very rewarding experience. I was a diplomat at the time and travelling most weeks but managed to fit it around my job - it's definitely hard but certainly doable.
Bedingfield scholarship here from Gray's - cannot quite believe it, but the legal issue was one which I focus a lot on in my LLM so that put me at an advantage. I will be doing the BPTC part-time for financial reasons (I have been offered a fee reduction from the part-time provider) and also because it will give me the opportunity to take more FRU cases; internships; earn some money etc.

Commiserations to those who didn't get one this time around. For what it's worth, I have more than one friend who re-applied the next year to their Inn and was awarded a significant sum. I'm not applying for pupillage this year so I'll now be leaving the thread. Best of luck to everyone!
7BR rejections finally out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 926
Original post by Barelylegalz
7BR rejections finally out!

Haven't heard a thing either way. My work email did change though. So I gave them a call.

Posted from TSR Mob
Commiserations to Gray's people - now anxiously waiting on Lincoln's...
Sinclairs Law interviews out.
Out of curiosity, have applicants from previous years found that applications through gateway are more successful, less successful or about equal with non-gateway applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 930
Original post by LegalLab
Out of curiosity, have applicants from previous years found that applications through gateway are more successful, less successful or about equal with non-gateway applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had 14 interviews out of gateway and 3 in. So I'd say chambers out of gateway are better.
Original post by Tiny92
I've had 14 interviews out of gateway and 3 in. So I'd say chambers out of gateway are better.

Just out of pure curiosity, how do they compare in terms of fractions? (Interviews/Number of Applications).
Original post by Forum User
Just out of pure curiosity, how do they compare in terms of fractions? (Interviews/Number of Applications).

I would think that this isn't a simple calculation - if you look at 7BR versus 1CL, for instance, which are both non-PG, 7BR invited 50 people to first round interviews whilst 1CL invited 15 people. That's a big difference in numbers and appears to be entirely a chambers-specific choice. Just a thought!
12:25pm and all quiet on the BarSas front... Thought course providers were releasing round 2 offers at noon (I missed round 1). Worried!
I would think that this isn't a simple calculation - if you look at 7BR versus 1CL, for instance, which are both non-PG, 7BR invited 50 people to first round interviews whilst 1CL invited 15 people. That's a big difference in numbers and appears to be entirely a chambers-specific choice. Just a thought!

Tiny92 posted that he had 3 gateway interviews and 14 non-gateway interviews, so that he was doing better on NG. But if he had made 12 gateway applications, and 56 non-gateway applications, then his success at converting applications to interviews would be 25% in both cases.

But if you mean that it's not a useful stat, then I suppose that is true. I just thought it might be a more interesting comparison than the raw numbers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 935
Original post by Forum User
Tiny92 posted that he had 3 gateway interviews and 14 non-gateway interviews, so that he was doing better on NG. But if he had made 12 gateway applications, and 56 non-gateway applications, then his success at converting applications to interviews would be 25% in both cases.

But if you mean that it's not a useful stat, then I suppose that is true. I just thought it might be a more interesting comparison than the raw numbers.

I'm very selective about where I apply though - area of law and region being my main influence. I have only done 9 gateway this year.
So if anyone's waiting to hear back on the BPTC round 2, according to BPP, the earliest any offers will be made is tomorrow, and according to University of Law, they don't even receive the applications from BarSAS until this evening and therefore the date displayed on the applicant portal as "round 2 offers released" is wrong.

What an utter WASTE of an afternoon sitting waiting and worrying that somehow I wasn't even going to get a bloody place!

Thanks, BarSAS. As if you're not already an absolute joke.
Given how late various Inns of Court (namely Gray's/Lincoln's) have been with scholarship results, I wonder if there might be some over-capacity issues at providers who are holding (at least in my case, and the case of many others on here) open offers for Round 1 people until scholarships are confirmed....
Lincoln's BPTC Scholarships out.

Got myself a Lord Denning :smile: Thrilled!
Middle Temple BPTC Scholarships are out - Queen Mother's Scholar here, plus a Blackstone Entrance Exhibition ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending