The Student Room Group

Do you use coconut oil?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TinyPhasma
My friend constantly raves about it and I keep meaning to use it for my broken and damaged hair but never getting round to it. Is it as good as people insist it is?

if you leave it on overnight with a shower cap on over it, it makes your hair feel so soft in the morning, and really shiny!
My hair is usually dry, dull and frizzy but it feels so nice and smooth after using it overnight
I've used it ever since I bleached my hair in January and I swear by it now! I also use coconut shampoo and conditioner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Coconut oil is EVERYTHINGGGGG
COCONUT YES.jpg
Original post by shawtyb
yea that came back clear

Keep taking the tests and see what comes up! I'm sure they'll find the cause. Look after yourself till then.
I know that coconut oil has many positive effects. I was just wondering if it wasn't making your hair oily :hmmmm:
Original post by Milzime
yaaaaahhhsss all the tiiimmeeee

coconut oil is LIFE for my curly ass hair :woohoo:

Hi Milzime! which brand do you use?
I use it for everything! make up remover, moisturiser, hair mask, hand cream, lip balm, as a base for scrubs...
it's amazing and my skin feels amazing - but it can break some people out, so do a patch test!
Original post by CarolJenner
Hi Milzime! which brand do you use?

anything really, just so long as it's 100% and raw etc :smile: Holland and Barrats I think do a good tub (?) :bigsmile:
Reply 68
Been using coconut oil, cream and milk in all and everything. In my coffee and also as a snack. I make myself some coconut sqaures with almond nuts, raisin and dates when I want to nibble on in between snacks. Lost weight and keeping off the weight. It lowers the bad carb intake and energy levels is always at a good plateau.
Absolutely, yes! Used it as an alternative for my lotion. I'm also putting some of it to my coffee.
Original post by shawtyb
yea that came back clear

Just had a thought about something you could try...

I'm not at all romanced by natural remedies but green tea actually has some amazing properties that you can benefit from by applying it topically.

It has a particularly high concentration of a particularly potent antioxidant that is highly anti inflammatory and also increases cell proliferation by telling cells that are heading toward death to start dividing again. The effect of that particular mechanism is an increase in skin thickness. It has hormone regulating properties, literally reverses sun damage at the cellular level and ushers mutated cells to their death by encouraging them to effectively commit suicide if they are not healthy cells. It's anti inflammatory properties are so potent that it's an effective acne treatment that has been shown to rival benzyl peroxide in it's efficacy (don't ever use the two together! BP oxidises green tea terribly and will turn your skin orange! Learnt that the hard way once).

Seen as hair loss is so often inflammation related, you could look into applying green tea to your scalp.

I use it as a toner and mask every night.

I'm thinking you could take a couple of green tea bags, they must be pure green tea without additional flavours or having undergone the process of decaffination, put them in a pan and add a couple of cups of water. Boil for 7 minutes until you get a dark liquid that is slightly more viscose and much darker than an ordinary brew. Leave it to cool and put in a spray bottle and apply it to your scalp. Be careful to not get any on clothing or towels as it stains terribly. I'd give it a month to see results if any are to be had. It also contains caffeine which is often recommended for hair loss. Basically it's worth a try.

It's a bit of a faff but you'll have to do a new brew every evening as the component you need in the tea becomes inactive after 6 hours. The boiling for 7 mins is also essential I'm afraid as this is what releases the compound you need in an effective concentration. It will not be compromised by that level of heating.

Let me know your thoughts! X
Original post by leavingthecity
Just had a thought about something you could try...

I'm not at all romanced by natural remedies but green tea actually has some amazing properties that you can benefit from by applying it topically.

It has a particularly high concentration of a particularly potent antioxidant that is highly anti inflammatory and also increases cell proliferation by telling cells that are heading toward death to start dividing again. The effect of that particular mechanism is an increase in skin thickness. It has hormone regulating properties, literally reverses sun damage at the cellular level and ushers mutated cells to their death by encouraging them to effectively commit suicide if they are not healthy cells. It's anti inflammatory properties are so potent that it's an effective acne treatment that has been shown to rival benzyl peroxide in it's efficacy (don't ever use the two together! BP oxidises green tea terribly and will turn your skin orange! Learnt that the hard way once).

Seen as hair loss is so often inflammation related, you could look into applying green tea to your scalp.

I use it as a toner and mask every night.

I'm thinking you could take a couple of green tea bags, they must be pure green tea without additional flavours or having undergone the process of decaffination, put them in a pan and add a couple of cups of water. Boil for 7 minutes until you get a dark liquid that is slightly more viscose and much darker than an ordinary brew. Leave it to cool and put in a spray bottle and apply it to your scalp. Be careful to not get any on clothing or towels as it stains terribly. I'd give it a month to see results if any are to be had. It also contains caffeine which is often recommended for hair loss. Basically it's worth a try.

It's a bit of a faff but you'll have to do a new brew every evening as the component you need in the tea becomes inactive after 6 hours. The boiling for 7 mins is also essential I'm afraid as this is what releases the compound you need in an effective concentration. It will not be compromised by that level of heating.

Let me know your thoughts! X

hey, i dont like tea so il try use it as a hair mask :smile: thankyou
My mother insists but it makes me feel dizzy, as if I were upon a roundabout.
i use it a lot

hair, food, body :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending