The Student Room Group

White Lives Matter

Scroll to see replies

Bait is bait.

But just in case this guy is being serious, "all lives matter" sounds like a copout to ignore racism tbh.
Original post by banterboy
I'm mean, I don't disagree with any of this but none of it justifies the bullying white face today, compared to other cultures who's history are pretty much similar.

You agree that all of this stuff applies to other races, so why am I being attacked?

The contexts are totally different here. African Americans only exist as a demographic because their ancestors were brought over as slaves based purely on the belief that black people are inferior - a belief that continued to stain the lawbooks way past the abolition of slavery and into living memory, and whose effects are still felt today. The racial aspect was unique to the African slave trade, and is the reason it is still relevant to discussions about present day race relations. The Arabs took whites as slaves due to religious and geographical reasons, not for racial reasons, so I don't really see how it fits into the discussion.
Original post by Captain Haddock
The contexts are totally different here. African Americans only exist as a demographic because their ancestors were brought over as slaves based purely on the belief that black people are inferior - a belief that continued to stain the lawbooks way past the abolition of slavery and into living memory, and whose effects are still felt today. The racial aspect was unique to the African slave trade, and is the reason it is still relevant to discussions about present day race relations. The Arabs took whites as slaves due to religious and geographical reasons, not for racial reasons, so I don't really see how it fits into the discussion.

lol yeah money doesn't exist amirite
Original post by darkvibes
Well to some people that is seen as culture appropriation. Its not because one is white that they are being bullied.

If any person appropriates the culture of another race, they can expect some bullying. Not all would like to see a distinctive feature of their own culture on someone else.

Here's my issue with cultural appropriation: one cannot definitively state that something is exclusive to one culture. Any individual with knowledge of both social and economic history will safely agree that exposure to a variety of cultures pre-dates our era. Dreadlocks, for example, are not exclusive to 'black' cultures nor is it solely associated with the likes of Bob Marley (as a recent video at San Francisco University purports). Therefore, what right does someone have to bully another individual and making fallacious claims?

Point being, that you cannot justify bullying by alluding to cultural appropriation. You're trying to morally justify ignorance.
lol yeah money doesn't exist amirite

Weak.
There is a lot of anecdotal fallacy here. I cant argue with it. If it did happen then yes, i am on your side.

Its illegal to be racist to anyone, not just to coloured but to white people too.

Your basing everything on this idea that white privilege doesnt exist. Im not interested in arguing whether or not it does exist, but I think it does. Simply search the term up, its on the news everyday and denying its prevalence wont forward the argument.
Weak.

If it were purely racial then there must be no other incentive. You are literally saying not a single person used slavery with economic motivations. Now THAT is incredibly weak.
There is a lot of anecdotal fallacy here. I cant argue with it. If it did happen then yes, i am on your side.

Its illegal to be racist to anyone, not just to coloured but to white people too.

Your basing everything on this idea that white privilege doesnt exist. Im not interested in arguing whether or not it does exist, but I think it does. Simply search the term up, its on the news everyday and denying its prevalence wont forward the argument.

But the people you're defending literally do not accept that you can be racist to a white person.

I DO think there are some racial issues in America that need to be solved. But the entire narrative surrounding it, and the people who are in political power and who are trying to fight it, are nutcases.

I'm pretty sure the enslaved are more worried about being enslaved than the reason for their enslavement.
But the people you're defending literally do not accept that you can be racist to a white person.

I DO think there are some racial issues in America that need to be solved. But the entire narrative surrounding it, and the people who are in political power and who are trying to fight it, are nutcases.

Im not defending anyone here, im saying that 'White lives matter' is a meaningless movement. Historically, there has always been a perception that whites are superior to coloured, hence why there was widespread racism only 50 years ago. This cannot be stamped out easily when it has existed for so long before. It is naive to say you cant be racist but there arent many ways that you can be racist. Much of the racism today exists is based on historical perceptions.

Yes, the way the racial issues in America is treated is what has called for 'Black lives matter' and 'all lives matter'
I can't imagine how tough it is, as a white man living in a 1st world white majority country :console:
What is the abuse that white people face, and how is it different to the abuse that all other races face?

Your claim that white people are most racially abused institutionally is ridiculous and a fallacy itself.

The media dont have an agenda to incite racial hatred against white people.
If it were purely racial then there must be no other incentive. You are literally saying not a single person used slavery with economic motivations. Now THAT is incredibly weak.

You call people up for not knowing their history then when somebody comes along who does know a thing or two, all you can do is resort to using worn out meme-speak to defensively nitpick at clumsy phrasing while ignoring the meat of the argument. Unless you want to argue against the idea that at the heart of the Atlantic slave trade lay a deeply racist belief system, your post really doesn't bear much impact on mine. Slavery is an economic tool, it goes without saying that there are economic incentives to use slavery. That doesn't mean you get to ignore the racial ideology that was used as a moral justification for the Atlantic slave trade, and the impact that ideology has had on present day society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
I'm pretty sure the enslaved are more worried about being enslaved than the reason for their enslavement.

I'm pretty sure they're not worried at all seeing as they're all dead now. We're talking about the relevance to modern day race relations here.
Original post by Aceadria
Here's my issue with cultural appropriation: one cannot definitively state that something is exclusive to one culture. Any individual with knowledge of both social and economic history will safely agree that exposure to a variety of cultures pre-dates our era. Dreadlocks, for example, are not exclusive to 'black' cultures nor is it solely associated with the likes of Bob Marley (as a recent video at San Francisco University purports). Therefore, what right does someone have to bully another individual and making fallacious claims?

Point being, that you cannot justify bullying by alluding to cultural appropriation. You're trying to morally justify ignorance.

Well im not black so I cant comment on dreadlocks, sorry.

I think the way cultural appropriation is pretty subjective. To some it will offend, to others it wont. When it is subjective, people will have different thinking as to what constitutes as appropriation. Take dreadlocks. It is widely associated with the black community but it isnt with the white community, so when a white person uses dreadlocks, it causes offence towards the blacks. Suggesting something is a fallacy when the issue at hand is very subjective is misleading.

It isn't as clear cut as 'wherever it originated from, they have the sole decision as to whether something is considered appropriation'.
You call people up for not knowing their history then when somebody comes along who does know a thing or two, all you can do is resort to using worn out meme-speak to defensively nitpick at clumsy phrasing while ignoring the meat of the argument. Unless you want to argue against the idea that at the heart of the Atlantic slave trade lay a deeply racist belief system, your post really doesn't bear much impact on mine. Slavery is an economic tool, it goes without saying that there are economic incentives to use slavery. That doesn't mean you get to ignore the racial ideology that was used as a moral justification for the Atlantic slave trade, and the impact that ideology has had on present day society.

Eloquently put
you moron BLM wasnt even mentioned here.

I don't give a ****.

Okay, so you concede that point.

Of course there were also racial motivations for the slave trade. However, those racial beliefs also held true when we went to great pains to END slavery. So therefore the slave trade wasn't inseparably linked to the slave trade.

You need to prove a counterfactual theory that whites would not have enslaved blacks if racism were not present. Otherwise your assertion is just an unsubstantiated assertion. I don't know how you'd do that.

Furthermore, I think it's obvious that anyone enslaving or conquering another race has beliefs of racial superiority, which gives humans the cognitive dissonance required to do these things. For example, the Roman's justifying their conquests in that they were bring civilisation to "barbarians"; there is nothing to support that racial prejudices were only a part of slavery in the transatlantic slave trade. There is no reason to think that only white people had those thought processes. And there is no reason to think that racism came before the economic incentive, rather than the other way around.
Original post by Dodgypirate
I don't give a ****.

This nonchalence and plain stupidity is perhaps why you ended up at Keele.
You don't know your history. Muslim slavery lasted much longer than white slavery, it WAS in the west (given the word slave comes from Europian Slav; ie Greeks etc).

Yes Apartied was racist why would I argue that.

Obviously it's true that Islamic slavery was a big thing and lasted a long time. (It's till going on sporadically in parts of the Islamic world and still seems to inform the behaviour of some Muslims from modernised Gulf states.)

It's hard to compare barbarities, but it seems clear that the systematic work to death and severe cruelty meeted out to slaves on the plantations of the Americas by European slave owners was harsher, more industrialised and more indifferent to human welfare overall than that of the Arab world. Not all Arab slaves were treated decently, but domestic slavery in Arab families was not much like the massive colony exploitation of the cotton and sugar plantations. However, there are extreme cases in both.

Anyway, two wrongs don't make a right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending