The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellawhite4686
i'd go on the offer holder online chat and express your concerns/confusion. you could also try emailing them and ask? i have an offer from durham for law :smile:

Hey there thanks for your reply! I will :smile:. Nothing's been updated on my Track yet but Durham sent me another offer holder online chat so I'm assuming I got offered (unless I'm proved otherwise on Track :P)

See you if we are going to be classmates! :smile:
Original post by stratagems
Help - UCL or Bristol? I 'm a Londoner so both locations are great for me.

Bristol - liked the library, buildings, & optional course units.

UCL - A*AA - really cramped library, ongoing construction, networking event every Monday with top firm solicitors/judges/barristers, great vibe from their offer holders' day & law society representatives, most of whom have training contracts with magic circle firms already. Really liked the taster lecture we had. More scholarships/funds than Bristol (higher in amount & for all three years).

In terms of contact time, does anyone know how much they vary and any differences to the teaching? And what Bristol's accomodation is like?

I feel like re-applying to Oxford next year seeing as UCL's offer is higher!

Well, it's pretty obvious you prefer UCL, so I guess that's where you should am firming.

But a few points on Bristol - there are networking events here too. In fact, for the first half of the year, there will be three/two presentations/parties organised by firms directly. Obviously at London you'll have their offices right next to you, but yeah.

The library is no better - any day outside the holidays and it's a real struggle to find a damned place.

Contact hours will be the same I presume, and they are 10-15 here, usually leaning towards the first (depends on your timetable).

I've found my accommodation awesome here (Unite students). Orchard Heights is probably the best I reckon. University accommodation is naturally older so make sure you do some research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4042
Original post by Student98x
Yeah, I've heard exactly the same. I think employment wise I should go to Warwick, but I want to go to Leeds.
I just need to decide between what I should do and want to do.

Thanks for your help.

Although you need to think about your chances of employment don't choose a uni you don't think you'd be 100% happy at and would regret not going to the one you loved.
I was in a very similar situation I had an offer from Durham and was very close to accepting it despite loving Nottingham but then I realised I'd probably do better if I was happier where I was.
I mean it's completely up to you, but Warwick and Leeds are very different (both reputable, granted Warwick more so, but you will still be able to do well at Leeds) so make sure the decision you make is the right one for you and don't be complete influenced by league tables.

Hope this helps a little bit!!
Finally an offer from Bristol! Even though they told me in an email I was unsuccessful 3 weeks ago, said on track they had reconsidered my application
Original post by Jasmine Lim
Hey there thanks for your reply! I will :smile:. Nothing's been updated on my Track yet but Durham sent me another offer holder online chat so I'm assuming I got offered (unless I'm proved otherwise on Track :P)

See you if we are going to be classmates! :smile:

aren't you the one that got the UCAS submission delayed cos of the bungling student agency that handled your application? how did you manage to get the unis to entertain you? this is really inspiring. do tell.
Original post by thepaperhero
Finally an offer from Bristol! Even though they told me in an email I was unsuccessful 3 weeks ago, said on track they had reconsidered my application

That's amazing (and unheard of)!
They said they get 2,000 applications for the 260~ places, so congratulations!

Apparently they - and I expect Nottingham,UCL, KCL, and Durham - notify those who meet or completely fail to meet their requirements and then decide on everyone in between in a sort of ranking system according to the way they weight the entire application (GCSEs, A Levels, LNAT, and PS), so to all those who've not heard back yet from the above universities - you're still in the running!
Original post by L2311
Although you need to think about your chances of employment don't choose a uni you don't think you'd be 100% happy at and would regret not going to the one you loved.
I was in a very similar situation I had an offer from Durham and was very close to accepting it despite loving Nottingham but then I realised I'd probably do better if I was happier where I was.
I mean it's completely up to you, but Warwick and Leeds are very different (both reputable, granted Warwick more so, but you will still be able to do well at Leeds) so make sure the decision you make is the right one for you and don't be complete influenced by league tables.

Hope this helps a little bit!!

Yeah that's very true. I fell in love with Leeds when I went to visit and I am yet to visit Warwick.
I will hold off any decisions until then, but based on what I've seen I know Leeds is somewhere where I'd feel 100% myself and happy.

Thanks for the advice!
anyone still waiting for notts?
Original post by coconuticecream
anyone still waiting for notts?

My friend is still waiting
Original post by Amie_U
My friend is still waiting

Im still waiting :frown:
Original post by Audrey18
aren't you the one that got the UCAS submission delayed cos of the bungling student agency that handled your application? how did you manage to get the unis to entertain you? this is really inspiring. do tell.

Yeap it's me. Durham and Bristol have a later deadline for international students that's why. The other 3 schools I applied to had the 15 Jan deadline hence I was rejected by these three instantly.

How about you? Hope you got offered for your dream school! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steph_af
I'm in the exact same position, and don't know which to choose between those two!
Have you come to a decision yet?

I firmed Exeter in the end, I liked it more and I think it has a slightly better reputation for law
Manchester, Warwick or Bristol?
Reply 4053
I've had a conditional to Edinburgh Napier for law ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellie_Spencer
I firmed Exeter in the end, I liked it more and I think it has a slightly better reputation for law

Yeah I think I'm coming to the same conclusion as you, as well as the fact they gave me a lower grade offer so I feel safer going for that as well 😂
Original post by *Stefan*
Well, it's pretty obvious you prefer UCL, so I guess that's where you should am firming.

But a few points on Bristol - there are networking events here too. In fact, for the first half of the year, there will be three/two presentations/parties organised by firms directly. Obviously at London you'll have their offices right next to you, but yeah.

The library is no better - any day outside the holidays and it's a real struggle to find a damned place.

Contact hours will be the same I presume, and they are 10-15 here, usually leaning towards the first (depends on your timetable).

I've found my accommodation awesome here (Unite students). Orchard Heights is probably the best I reckon. University accommodation is naturally older so make sure you do some research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - it's more that Bristol's library is bigger and spatially better organised. I didn't mean cramped as in it's full of students.
I think it's more that UCL gave an info pack out with their offer letter and allow you to visit student accommodation (not just get a tour of it from the outside), so I feel better informed. Plus they scaremongered about how outside of Oxbridge, the next best for prospects is attending a London university whether that's LSE, King's or UCL.

I think Bristol are giving me a lower offer than their usual offer so that I firm them, but it means I have no backup after as all the other unis I applied to want A*AA or AAA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks - it's more that Bristol's library is bigger and spatially better organised. I didn't mean cramped as in it's full of students.
I think it's more that UCL gave an info pack out with their offer letter and allow you to visit student accommodation (not just get a tour of it from the outside), so I feel better informed. Plus they scaremongered about how outside of Oxbridge, the next best for prospects is attending a London university whether that's LSE, King's or UCL.

I think Bristol are giving me a lower offer than their usual offer so that I firm them, but it means I have no backup after as all the other unis I applied to want A*AA or AAA.

I see - well, London does give an advantage, but it's certainly not that important.

What was the offer? They give AAB offers to people who eat to the 40% lowest achieving schools in the country. Otherwise, their offer is AAA/A*AB.

But overall, it does seem that you preferred UCL yourself, so make sure you choose wisely.

Bristol gives AAA / A*AB as its standard offer, and AAB to contextual applicants (those from lower performing schools).

If you want to go to Bristol and you are confident of the grades required, Firm it.
You dont have to have a lower Insurance - or actually, any Insurance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pythian
Hi everyone,

I've got an unconditional offer from Nottingham. But I'm stuck in a muddle.

I’ve been looking at profiles of tenants at top sets and chambers, they’re almost entirely Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE & KCL. Almost none from Nottingham

People keep saying how great Nottingham is but there’s a paucity of 'real-life' evidence of this apart from league table points?

I’m wondering if going to Notts is not the best route if you seriously intend on a careers at the Bar around Chancery Lane ?

I’m considering reapplying to those universities again in Sept. I'd appreciate some opinions.

That's amazing - Congratulations! However, I think if you are seriously doubting Nottingham, then just re-apply next year, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that if you're dead set on what you think atm. I would say that just because there aren't any from Nottingham, that doesn't necessarily mean that YOU will never get that opportunity, but of course, it's clearly a tricky situation.
Original post by *Stefan*
I see - well, London does give an advantage, but it's certainly not that important.

What was the offer? They give AAB offers to people who eat to the 40% lowest achieving schools in the country. Otherwise, their offer is AAA/A*AB.

But overall, it does seem that you preferred UCL yourself, so make sure you choose wisely.

It's just more cost-effective to stay in LDN despite higher living costs (£11/hr part time job + UCL's multiple grants).

As for Bristol: I like the blend of city & rural countryside + the admissions tutors gave positive feedback (I'd be an asset and would have a lot to contribute to other students, but I didn't want to make an emotional decision based on that though). Bristol had a more personal touch. UCL was detached like they care about meeting their offer only.

Original post by returnmigrant
Bristol gives AAA / A*AB as its standard offer, and AAB to contextual applicants (those from lower performing schools).

If you want to go to Bristol and you are confident of the grades required, Firm it.
You dont have to have a lower Insurance - or actually, any Insurance.

Haven't been given grades yet as they're still deciding. But will be given a lower offer than their standard offer as a mature student attending a contextual-listed college anyway.

UCL's offer is A*AA. Too much stress when I could have applied to Oxford for AAA. Hindsight, eh!
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending