The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ivann505
aite guys the time is currently 14:59 just woke up after having a heavy night out for my mate's Birthday... I was mean to do all the work last night but he dragged me out and now I'm stuck with a fat hangover. Can I make it?

I pityyou, just wrote my 10,000 word dissertation in 4 days and its ruined me. Does it count for much?
(edited 7 years ago)
8000? mate what you doing here
Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V you will win.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I think you can do it :dumbells:

Most universities have a +/- 10% on the word count so you only need to write 7,200 words to be within an acceptable limit. Throw in some gnarly, relevant quotes and 500 words on the introduction and another 500 on the conclusion and it's all looking a bit more achievable.

5% allowance for law.
Original post by sem94
i pityyou, just wrote my 10,000 word dissertation in 4 days and its ruined me. Does it count for much?

4 days?! How? Why? What?
Original post by callum law
5% allowance for law.

Let's hope that OP isn't doing law :beard:
I did a 4000 word history essay for A-levels in 1 sitting (3 1/2 hours)
Got a B.

Bossed.
Original post by RhaegoTarg
Got a B.

Bossed.

Not saying that's not an achievement but it's hardly comparable - a university essay in history would require around 40 cited and referenced articles, doing that referencing alone would take almost the time it took you to write your essay lol
Original post by RhaegoTarg
Got a B.

Bossed.

I think that is amazing!
But did you have most of re-search before hand? :tongue:
(Mostly because i'm planning on doing the exact thing tomorrow evening and then correcting it over the weekend XD).
Original post by Greatleysteg
OP I don't know about your uni, but at Warwick (and most unis I'm familiar with) there's a late submission penalty of 5% for each day that an assessment is overdue.

In this situation, I advise taking the hit. You need to be strategic; giving yourself that extra 24 hours will allow you to sober up, shower, eat etc and think more clearly.

I'd recommend taking ONE extra day, so if you can produce something that's a high 2:1 (67/68) you end up with a solid 2:1 (62/63). Alternatively, if you're someone who's usually capable of achieving good firsts, it's worth taking two days to get a mark of 75+ that will only come down to 65+.

Good luck!

Wow you lucky! My uni it's in before the deadline or nothing!
8000 words when it comes down to it is not a lot. 8000 words of something that is structured and well versed is different
Original post by peanutbuttercup
And I was worried about a 2500 word essay due in Sunday
Thanks for making me feel better about life

Why is your essay due on a Sunday :colonhash:
OP I don't know about your uni, but at Warwick (and most unis I'm familiar with) there's a late submission penalty of 5% for each day that an assessment is overdue.

In this situation, I advise taking the hit. You need to be strategic; giving yourself that extra 24 hours will allow you to sober up, shower, eat etc and think more clearly.

I'd recommend taking ONE extra day, so if you can produce something that's a high 2:1 (67/68) you end up with a solid 2:1 (62/63). Alternatively, if you're someone who's usually capable of achieving good firsts, it's worth taking two days to get a mark of 75+ that will only come down to 65+.

Good luck!

Why so lenient :frown:
At my university, you get capped to 40% for missing the deadline (as long as you don't take too long to submit e.g for a 2pm deadline, it'd be capped at 40% if submitted between 2pm and 5pm) Any later than that and you get 0.
Original post by Ivann505
aite guys the time is currently 14:59 just woke up after having a heavy night out for my mate's Birthday... I was mean to do all the work last night but he dragged me out and now I'm stuck with a fat hangover. Can I make it?

Well, you can write 8000 words, certainly, but they'll likely be complete nonsense.
If you work for 8 hours straight (1,000 words per hour, pretty feasible in my opinion, and I'm at GCSE level), I'm pretty sure you can accomplish it.
Original post by cherryred90s
Why so lenient :frown:
At my university, you get capped to 40% for missing the deadline (as long as you don't take too long to submit e.g for a 2pm deadline, it'd be capped at 40% if submitted between 2pm and 5pm) Any later than that and you get 0.

Same with mine. 1 minute late - 1 day late capped at 40, after that 0.
Original post by LiquidGold
Not saying that's not an achievement but it's hardly comparable - a university essay in history would require around 40 cited and referenced articles, doing that referencing alone would take almost the time it took you to write your essay lol

When you doss your history classes to go down to Sainsburys before they stop selling their hot food for the day, I think it's pretty impressive.

@OP

Hair of the dog it bro.
We believe in you.

Yeah, let's hope he's someone who's usually capable of achieving good firsts, like most people who go out and get wasted when they have an already infeasible amount of work left to do for an imminent deadline.
Depends. Gender studies nonsense? Yeah, no problem. Physics? Definitely not.
8,000 words in 1 day...... I certainly could never do it !

Also, if you haven't done the research either, then it would be a miracle for you to complete it on time.

You have 2 options (from what i can see).

1. Stock up on energy drinks and don't stop working until you get it done. You will feel ill by tomorrow but at least you will have a better chance of completing it on time. I don't know what the quality of your work will be like though..
2. Speak to your adviser and ask for an extension. I don't know how kind they will be but it is worth a try. You might be penalised for it, but you would try to compensate by writing a really good essay to try and secure the best mark you can.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

Latest