The Student Room Group

Help with AS-level Biology exam technique! :(

I'm studying Edexcel AS-level Biology (new 2015 syllabus) and have been doing past papers, but I feel like the questions are much harder than the endorsed textbook prepares you for!! How can I improve my exam technique? Shall I just keep doing past papers in hope to learn the mark schemes?
I have the same problem. I just generally find the subject quite hard, its definitely the most difficult out of my three :frown: Knowing the mark scheme might help a bit but I think your best bet is to do more past papers and whatever you get wrong or are unsure of check with your teacher. Then stick notes and posters around your bedroom and even the toilet or bathroom door (trust me it works!) :smile:
Original post by beccacylx
I have the same problem. I just generally find the subject quite hard, its definitely the most difficult out of my three :frown: Knowing the mark scheme might help a bit but I think your best bet is to do more past papers and whatever you get wrong or are unsure of check with your teacher. Then stick notes and posters around your bedroom and even the toilet or bathroom door (trust me it works!) :smile:

Thank you. It's just so intimidating knowing how much we need to remember for Biology!! Are you on the new Edexcel spec too?
Original post by Philip-flop
Thank you. It's just so intimidating knowing how much we need to remember for Biology!! Are you on the new Edexcel spec too?

I'm on the new AQA spec, but it's similar I think & I agree, there's just so much to learn and the mark schemes are so specific I lose marks so easily! Hoping for a B at the end of next year, don't want to get me hopes up lol :smile:
Original post by beccacylx
I'm on the new AQA spec, but it's similar I think & I agree, there's just so much to learn and the mark schemes are so specific I lose marks so easily! Hoping for a B at the end of next year, don't want to get me hopes up lol :smile:

Yeah I think both boards are very similar. If I don't get at least a B/C at AS I doubt I will carry on to A2 :frown:
Wow, you sound very inspirational!! How many hours of work each day did you put into AS Biology this time last year? Did you literally just read through your notes and keep attempting past papers? Also did you do Edexcel cos I don't know much about the core practicals :frown:
Yeah I've made notes as well as making flash cards which closely follow the given specification for Edexcel Bio. I think it's literally just a case of me going through them a thousand times and doing past papers right up until my actual exams. Just need to make everything stick in my head (easier said than done though!). And yeah, for Edexcel they can examine you on practicals which I haven't covered but have managed to find some notes about them on TSR. The panicking is really starting to kick in now though :frown:
OMG!! Did you have a panic attack over your exam or something? :/
Unfortunately I'm self-taught so don't have any teachers to ask if I need help (which is why I haven't covered any of the practicals) :frown:
Oh wow, That sounds horrible. Glad you can see the good side to it now. No point letting exams affect you mentally like that tbh :/

Yeah I've found notes about the core practicals but there is so much terminology and equipment that I am unsure about :frown:
Hey. If this makes it any better, there seem to be so many people that are struggling with exam technique - it's not just you!! I'm struggling too. I personally think that as there are no past papers that are exactly like the paper that we will sit and so no one knows quite what to expect, the grade boundaries will be quite low. Just keep trying your best :smile:
Thanks!!! Yeah, I've already done that. I just find the syllabus sooooo overly specific :frown:
Oops, I meant to say the mark scheme. So, I feel as if they ask a question and one could give a perfectly valid response, but the mark scheme says a particular answer that is difficult to understand from the question.
Hey guys! Anyone here doing AS AQA biology on the 26th?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got AQA unit 6 biology practical in 2 days
it is on Reflex, synaptic transmission and the nervous system

any help on what to revise and focus on will be great help

also 2015 past paper is not available online anywhere
anyone know why??

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest