The Student Room Group

how to increase arm size

I try to do dumbell curls etc but my arms are still really weedy/weak they never seem to get bigger/stronger. I have naturally skinny wrists/forearms and I know that I cant change that but I want to improve my arm size because I hate looking and feeling weedy
Boxing.

Gain weight, lift weights
Original post by karl pilkington
I try to do dumbell curls etc but my arms are still really weedy/weak they never seem to get bigger/stronger. I have naturally skinny wrists/forearms and I know that I cant change that but I want to improve my arm size because I hate looking and feeling weedy

Make sure you aren't neglecting triceps, because triceps are key in getting big arms. Make sure you are bench pressing heavy with good form, also dips with 2 parallel bars are really good + a third exercise i recommend push downs or close grip or skullcrushers.

For barbell I say do Barbell Curls since you can go as heavy as possible + hammer curls for your forearms.

At the end of the day this is just advice, do whatever works for you.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Make sure you aren't neglecting triceps, because triceps are key in getting big arms. Make sure you are bench pressing heavy with good form, also dips with 2 parallel bars are really good + a third exercise i recommend push downs or close grip or skullcrushers.

For barbell I say do Barbell Curls since you can go as heavy as possible + hammer curls for your forearms.

At the end of the day this is just advice, do whatever works for you.

Thought you were going to end with 'All this is just advice, do whatever the **** you wanna do' lol

If you get the reference ofc..
Reply 5
Curls for the girls. Tris for the guys. Eat all the protons. Profit.
Reply 7
Original post by ByronicHero
Curls for the girls. Tris for the guys. Eat all the protons. Profit.

Cringe.

easy, fap

then you can exercise many muscles at once
Reply 9
You need to get bigger overall and your arms will follow - compound exercises, high calorie surplus. There is no point in just targeting your arms - you will still look weedy and you won't be strong. If your arms are weedy then so is the rest of you. Bulk up and your arms will grow
Reply 10
Original post by Shook
You need to get bigger overall and your arms will follow - compound exercises, high calorie surplus. There is no point in just targeting your arms - you will still look weedy and you won't be strong. If your arms are weedy then so is the rest of you. Bulk up and your arms will grow

I duno.. I remember I used to lift religiously when I was 17 and had nothing to do.. My arms defo got bigger and this was just by using at home dumbells

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you eating at a large enough surplus for muscle gain?
tricep dips, close grip bench press etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Hi Karl,

In my opinion, what you need to do is review your workout programming and consider starting a PUSH, PULL, LEGS routine.
If you focus on hitting your compound movements in each workout so PUSH - bench press, PULL - deadlifts or pull ups, LEGS - squats then you will find you start seeing much faster progression if you do this training split twice a week. So, 6 days on, 1 day off.
When you're doing your arm training, make sure you focus on contracting as hard as you can with every repetition you perform so you can feel the specific muscle you are targeting doing the work. The better your form, the more results you'll see.
Make sure you're eating in a surplus as well.

Hope this helps.
Original post by aafitness01
Hi Karl,

In my opinion, what you need to do is review your workout programming and consider starting a PUSH, PULL, LEGS routine.
If you focus on hitting your compound movements in each workout so PUSH - bench press, PULL - deadlifts or pull ups, LEGS - squats then you will find you start seeing much faster progression if you do this training split twice a week. So, 6 days on, 1 day off.
When you're doing your arm training, make sure you focus on contracting as hard as you can with every repetition you perform so you can feel the specific muscle you are targeting doing the work. The better your form, the more results you'll see.
Make sure you're eating in a surplus as well.

Hope this helps.

why would leg training help because it increases testosterone?
Make sure that you're getting a calorie surplus. You should usually eat 20 times your bodyweight (in pounds to calories), but I would also add 500 extra calories if you start working out.

If you only have dumbells, do bench presses with them - works your triceps and chest depending how you do it. Your triceps make up more of your arm than your biceps do, so it's the triceps that add more to the size.
why would leg training help because it increases testosterone?

Yeh man you hit the nail on the head! Basically, key points are this:

- doing 2 x PUSH sessions and 2 x PULL sessions in a week will mean you can overload your arms on the compound movements as a secondary muscle group (e.g. triceps are a secondary muscle with the bench press), plus you'll be able to hit your arms directly in these sessions but focus more on the contraction and controlling the weight.
- training legs twice a week will sky rocket your testosterone production, therefore helping you grow your arms - you need to be eating in a surplus though to do this with a good nutrition plan.

This is just what I've learnt as an Online Personal Trainer.

Hope this helps mate, any more questions don't hesitate to ask

Quick Reply

Latest