The Student Room Group

Depressions, Redundancy and current employment situation. Help?

I really don't know what to do about my situation. And any advice would be helpful. Essentially I want to walk out of my job, right now. Just go. I wish I did it a while ago, but my working ethic/pay/receiving a good reference has prevented me doing so.

Basically my story is I graduated last year, after working very hard I nailed down a job in the area I studied in before I had even graduated, decent pay too...very lucky. And this was the break I needed, I suffered depression & anxiety, tried to end my life, and I walked away from a very nasty relationship who ran me into a lot of debt. Not much can be helped there cause essentially I gave it to him willingly. But that is another story.

Anyway I got myself all better, lost loads of weight and became healthier, for the first time in a long time I felt happier.
However
Just before Christmas I was made redundant. Despite being told I was secure and it was all good.
Crap. I have all these bills and loans to pay for. I even moved back with parents to help with this but I still have financial ties. So I did the sensible option and got a sales assistant job full time whilst applying for a job in the area my degree is relevant to. As its an area I enjoy.
Now its April and I have had no luck, I get so far, then its 'Sorry you don't have enough experience'.
Its got to the point where I am applying for jobs every night, I am also taking on low pay freelance work, and trying to self learn new software when I can.
I have been applying for other jobs not related to my degree area now.

I could keep doing this no problem, however the job I am in now as a sales assistant is terrible. I HATE it. I am treat like dirt, scheduled in when I've requested it off (WELL IN ADVANCE) for interviews. The job itself is mind numbing, they consistently mess up my pay and holidays, spy on me, the managers are constantly away so I can never get stuff sorted, And they just keep me on a rolling temp contract where I basically have no rights. I am left to stand on my own for long hours and the job has no extra tasks for me to do to at least help the day go by quick. My last temp contract ended in March and I haven't signed a new one, so I guess I wouldnt be breaching the contract if I left with no notice?

I have worked as sales assistants before and done some really rubbish jobs such as scrubbing urinals and toilets, and nothing compares to this. I have missed out on several interviews cause I couldn't get my shift covered even if I requested it off.
I am worried I am becoming depressed again, Im crying all the time and I had a panic attack the other day at work and couldnt do anything I was left on my own.
Now they won't give me the day off for an assessment for a potential new job. And I am really tempted to just walk away. The only thing that has kept me there is the fact the pay is higher than NMW.
I need more than NMW to pay for my outgoings. I have about 800 quid outgoings every month.

My problem is, if I left, will I get my pay? The job is causing me a lot of stress. But it won't allow me to actually live a life and try get a new job.
I'm not even guaranteed a job elsewhere either, I haven't had a definite offer.

Sorry for the essay and any advice is welcome.
Original post by Anonymous
I really don't know what to do about my situation. And any advice would be helpful. Essentially I want to walk out of my job, right now. Just go. I wish I did it a while ago, but my working ethic/pay/receiving a good reference has prevented me doing so.

Basically my story is I graduated last year, after working very hard I nailed down a job in the area I studied in before I had even graduated, decent pay too...very lucky. And this was the break I needed, I suffered depression & anxiety, tried to end my life, and I walked away from a very nasty relationship who ran me into a lot of debt. Not much can be helped there cause essentially I gave it to him willingly. But that is another story.

Anyway I got myself all better, lost loads of weight and became healthier, for the first time in a long time I felt happier.
However
Just before Christmas I was made redundant. Despite being told I was secure and it was all good.
Crap. I have all these bills and loans to pay for. I even moved back with parents to help with this but I still have financial ties. So I did the sensible option and got a sales assistant job full time whilst applying for a job in the area my degree is relevant to. As its an area I enjoy.
Now its April and I have had no luck, I get so far, then its 'Sorry you don't have enough experience'.
Its got to the point where I am applying for jobs every night, I am also taking on low pay freelance work, and trying to self learn new software when I can.
I have been applying for other jobs not related to my degree area now.

I could keep doing this no problem, however the job I am in now as a sales assistant is terrible. I HATE it. I am treat like dirt, scheduled in when I've requested it off (WELL IN ADVANCE) for interviews. The job itself is mind numbing, they consistently mess up my pay and holidays, spy on me, the managers are constantly away so I can never get stuff sorted, And they just keep me on a rolling temp contract where I basically have no rights. I am left to stand on my own for long hours and the job has no extra tasks for me to do to at least help the day go by quick. My last temp contract ended in March and I haven't signed a new one, so I guess I wouldnt be breaching the contract if I left with no notice?

I have worked as sales assistants before and done some really rubbish jobs such as scrubbing urinals and toilets, and nothing compares to this. I have missed out on several interviews cause I couldn't get my shift covered even if I requested it off.
I am worried I am becoming depressed again, Im crying all the time and I had a panic attack the other day at work and couldnt do anything I was left on my own.
Now they won't give me the day off for an assessment for a potential new job. And I am really tempted to just walk away. The only thing that has kept me there is the fact the pay is higher than NMW.
I need more than NMW to pay for my outgoings. I have about 800 quid outgoings every month.

My problem is, if I left, will I get my pay? The job is causing me a lot of stress. But it won't allow me to actually live a life and try get a new job.

Can your parents help you just in the real short term? It sounds like you definitely need to leave the current retail job even if it's for another entry level place while you try to get something in your field.
You need to get things into perspective.

If you want to get to a better place you need a new job.
To get the new job you need time to apply and be in a good mental state.
Your current job is making you ill.

Sort out your debts an arrange a repayment plan with your creditors. Talk to CAB for a debt advisor or Stepchange to help negotiate with your creditors.
I would say go to the interview but imo for your wok ethic, then give them the right amount of notice.and resign. 1 week.

Will you get paid? Yes/ no / maybe. You will have to work out what you owe, but it sounds like they will try and sting you. Your only option would be to sue them.
For your health you need to leave or redouble your efforts for trying to get a job elsewhere.

I have missed out on several interviews cause I couldn't get my shift covered even if I requested it off.

Original post by 999tigger
You need to get things into perspective.

If you want to get to a better place you need a new job.
To get the new job you need time to apply and be in a good mental state.
Your current job is making you ill.

Sort out your debts an arrange a repayment plan with your creditors. Talk to CAB for a debt advisor or Stepchange to help negotiate with your creditors.
I would say go to the interview but imo for your wok ethic, then give them the right amount of notice.and resign. 1 week.

Will you get paid? Yes/ no / maybe. You will have to work out what you owe, but it sounds like they will try and sting you. Your only option would be to sue them.
For your health you need to leave or redouble your efforts for trying to get a job elsewhere.

I have missed out on several interviews cause I couldn't get my shift covered even if I requested it off.

Always full of brilliant advice.

Quick Reply

Latest