The Student Room Group

Dealing with chronic pain/fatigue during exams?

Hi guys :smile:

So I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia (for those that don't know that's basically chronic pain, chronic fatigue along with memory/concentration issues) and I'm not quite sure how to deal with this in exams?

I often find that due to my condition I'm much more sensitive to pain, so my neck and shoulders hurt so much during exams. In exams like history, which is 2 hours long and I'm writing constantly, sometimes it gets to the point where I have to stop. I cant afford to stop in these subjects because its crucial I'm writing and thinking all the time, not concentrating on my pain.

If anyone else suffers from something similar and has any advice, please leave it down below! Thanks guys.
Reply 1
Original post by harrietbh12
Hi guys :smile:

So I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia (for those that don't know that's basically chronic pain, chronic fatigue along with memory/concentration issues) and I'm not quite sure how to deal with this in exams?

I often find that due to my condition I'm much more sensitive to pain, so my neck and shoulders hurt so much during exams. In exams like history, which is 2 hours long and I'm writing constantly, sometimes it gets to the point where I have to stop. I cant afford to stop in these subjects because its crucial I'm writing and thinking all the time, not concentrating on my pain.

If anyone else suffers from something similar and has any advice, please leave it down below! Thanks guys.

Feel the same thing!

Unfortunately, no advice since I am in the same boat. I went to the physio for a while for it but during exams last year it go bad I nearly walked out.
Original post by Jeff548
Feel the same thing!

Unfortunately, no advice since I am in the same boat. I went to the physio for a while for it but during exams last year it go bad I nearly walked out.

It's so annoying when i know I need to concentrate but all I can concentrate on is the pain! Sorry if this is too intrusive but are you on any medication? My doctor has given me medication but I dont find it helps.
I went to the physio and a chiropractor but alas, nothing helped!
Reply 3
Original post by harrietbh12
It's so annoying when i know I need to concentrate but all I can concentrate on is the pain! Sorry if this is too intrusive but are you on any medication? My doctor has given me medication but I dont find it helps.
I went to the physio and a chiropractor but alas, nothing helped!

Lucky sod, Hell no I didn't get any medication :colonhash:
Original post by Jeff548
Lucky sod, Hell no I didn't get any medication :colonhash:

Well mines not doing much haha!! No pain relief at all, don't really know why I'm on it at all tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you spoken to your school/ college/ uni ect about being given possible reasonable measures to help you complete your exams in regards to your condition?

Like if you find it less painful to type asking if you can complete exams on a word processor?
Asking if you can be given extra time so you can complete it without being in so much pain from rushing? Along with to help with the concentration issues and needing more time.
Maybe even asking if you can use an ergonomic chair to prevent excess pain?

They are supposed to put reasonable measures in place for students with disabilities so that they are on a level playing field and can complete their exams/ assignments with their condition affecting them as little as possible.
Original post by SophieSmall
Have you spoken to your school/ college/ uni ect about being given possible reasonable measures to help you complete your exams in regards to your condition?

Like if you find it less painful to type asking if you can complete exams on a word processor?
Asking if you can be given extra time so you can complete it without being in so much pain from rushing? Along with to help with the concentration issues and needing more time.
Maybe even asking if you can use an ergonomic chair to prevent excess pain?

They are supposed to put reasonable measures in place for students with disabilities so that they are on a level playing field and can complete their exams/ assignments with their condition affecting them as little as possible.

Thank you! As I've only recently been diagnosed i haven't yet got round to telling the school. I know they've given extra time to some students before so I may ask if I qualify for that.
I would find it much easier to type but unfortunately I don't think my school have the resources at the moment (damn those massive cuts!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry meant to reply to this the other day but I have CFS and meet the criteria for fibromyalgia. Tell your school ASAP as there's stuff they can do but it does take time to sort out. Mine wouldn't apply for extra time or anything for me (but said I would be eligible/entitled to it so yours hopefully will!) but did give me rest breaks, I didn't think they'd help but they did more than I thought. Just to be able to stop for a few minutes in the middle of an exam and have a drink and stuff without worrying about time or anything really helped. They did say they'd let me have a walk around too- this didn't happen as it was too disruptive to everyone else but yours might.

When I was doing mine pain fortunately wasn't as bad as it is now but you might be able to do it on a laptop as someone else said. You could even be able to get a scribe but this would take some getting used o and they'd need someone qualified to do it. But basically worth an ask and even if it's just rest breaks it could help a little bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Sorry meant to reply to this the other day but I have CFS and meet the criteria for fibromyalgia. Tell your school ASAP as there's stuff they can do but it does take time to sort out. Mine wouldn't apply for extra time or anything for me (but said I would be eligible/entitled to it so yours hopefully will!) but did give me rest breaks, I didn't think they'd help but they did more than I thought. Just to be able to stop for a few minutes in the middle of an exam and have a drink and stuff without worrying about time or anything really helped. They did say they'd let me have a walk around too- this didn't happen as it was too disruptive to everyone else but yours might.

When I was doing mine pain fortunately wasn't as bad as it is now but you might be able to do it on a laptop as someone else said. You could even be able to get a scribe but this would take some getting used o and they'd need someone qualified to do it. But basically worth an ask and even if it's just rest breaks it could help a little bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! I'm also going back to my doctor to see if they can up the dosage of my medicine so that it will hopefully give me some relief. Once again thanks for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest