The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkvibes
Well it isnt a lie so...

He was found not guilty of second degree murder. Calling him a murderer is defamatory.

Google it, there are plenty of stats

When will people learn that's not how providing evidence works. If you make a claim you're not backing it up by simply saying 'Google it'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
By nonsensical justifications do you mean research? The fact is that whites are gunned down more so if you want to address black lives you MUST address white lives too or you are a racist. End of.

You can call "racist" at me all you want, but a) youre the one who keeps bringing race into it im agzinst police brutality. B) if you want to talk about race, black people who are killed are much more likely to be unarmed. If you look at the amount of unarmed people shot by the police, black people are number 1.
Original post by Underscore__
When will people learn that's not how providing evidence works. If you make a claim you're not backing it up by simply saying 'Google it'

The burden is on you here, if you lack knowledge of the issue at hand you can find out for yourself.
Blm is a pathetic organisation
which does nothing more but cause a divide and you want to spout insistutional racism and various other things while ignoring the fact that unarmed white ppl are shot to we need to adress the problem rather than following a group that believes that black lives are more than white lives. #alllivesmatter
(edited 8 years ago)
The burden is on you here, if you lack knowledge of the issue at hand you can find out for yourself.

Haha I'll be sure to use that when I qualify as a barrister; I'll make any claim I want and then when it's challenged I'll say 'you lack the knowledge so go and educate yourself'.

If you make a claim, you have to back it up. The burden is firmly on you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by debs20153
Blm is a pathetic organisation
which does nothing more but cause a divide and you want to spout insistutional racism and various other things while ignoring the fact that unarmed white ppl are shot to we need to adress the problem rather than following a group that believes that black lives are more than white lives. #alllivesmatter

I see your point but what you've misunderstood here is that by saying 'black lives matter' people are not saying that 'white lives don't matter'! It's just that right now more of a focus needs to be placed on helping black people as that is where the majority of police brutality is focused. And yes unarmed white people are shot too, but are they shot purely because of their skin colour? And the amount of black people shot compared to white people is so astounding that we need to spend time rectifying this problem and reducing the numbers for both races but it's just that more time needs to be spent on black lives right now. Hope you have a nice day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I'll be sure to use that when I qualify as a barrister; I'll make any claim I want and then when it's challenged I'll say 'you lack the knowledge so go and educate yourself'.

If you make a claim, you have to back it up. The burden is firmly on you

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're saying that innocent blacks being killed is an issue then im afraid you're delusional.

If you want stats, there's plenty of stats on the internet. This isnt a courtroom, its TSR. Instead of arguing with me you could have done a quick google search.

http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

There's one link of a 1000 web links that prove such thing.
Original post by OreoCookie181
I see your point but what you've misunderstood here is that by saying 'black lives matter' people are not saying that 'white lives don't matter'! It's just that right now more of a focus needs to be placed on helping black people as that is where the majority of police brutality is focused. And yes unarmed white people are shot too, but are they shot purely because of their skin colour? And the amount of black people shot compared to white people is so astounding that we need to spend time rectifying this problem and reducing the numbers for both races but it's just that more time needs to be spent on black lives right now. Hope you have a nice day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

However dosent that attitude remind of feminism the way it is now. The civil rights movement was one of the greatest movements ever it got bllacks equal rights it preached equality for everyone however a lot of black lives matter advocates like feminists dont want equality they want superiority. Also b4 any of u say white privilege im black btw.
Original post by Jebedee
I'm not saying white people are hard done by, I'm saying overall black people in terms of police brutality ARE NOT hard done by in comparison. Ergo, to claim that police brutality against black people is something we need to concentrate on but not overall police brutality or brutality towards another race with a higher stat. Is racist as you are saying one group is more deserving than another in spite of the numbers.

Also to note that blacks are 25x more likely to kill than white people. It would be extremely naive to assume this does not warrant more vigilance in policing? It makes the policing of black areas more dangerous and cops have to use more force to ensure their own safety. You always hear about these so called black spokespeople claiming black people are "gunned down for having a brake light out" but we both know that is a complete lie. When you are pulled over, it pays to be respectful and stick to "yes sir, no sir". Don't start shouting, throwing your arms about or lunging for his gun or he will be completely justified in blowing your head off in response.

Police do a very dangerous and thankless job and have to make life or death decisions. For that they should be granted a modicum of respect when dealing with them. Since these professional whiners have been demonising the police and spreading their vitriol. Police fatalities has increase sharply.

This whole thing is centred around places like Ferguson and Chicago but the majority of the people in the police department and above are black, so who exactly is this protest aimed at and what does it aim to achieve? Apart from killing all white people like the co-founder has stated.

Hey, in your first point just trying to understand what you mean. You infer that white people are killed by police brutality more than black people, but is that just raw numbers or a percentage of the total amount of each respective race? Like 1% of black people are affected by police brutality and 2% of white people are? Just made up those numbers too see what you mean, as to me there's a big difference if you're referring to raw numbers or percentages as there's significantly less black people than white people in America so the raw number will have to be lower for black people anyway.

And I agree with what you said that police do deserve a lot of respect for such a difficult job! But I'm actually shocked by how easily you jump to 'blowing someone's head off' to resolve conflict! You made it seem like police have not been trained in various other ways of restraining people who, in the example you gave, didn't even threaten the officer with a gun of their own. The first two points of the person 'shouting and throwing their arms around' surely has an easier solution then shooting, like a warning to the person to calm down? And if it goes as far that the person pulled over lunges for the officers gun, I like to believe that police have been trained enough that they know how to restrain someone. I just don't understand how 'blowing your head off' is a logical course of action, seems like unnecessary violence to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're saying that innocent blacks being killed is an issue then im afraid you're delusional.

If you want stats, there's plenty of stats on the internet. This isnt a courtroom, its TSR. Instead of arguing with me you could have done a quick google search.

http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

There's one link of a 1000 web links that prove such thing.

When did I say that? I asked you for evidence of statistics.

The same basic principle of providing evidence for your claims applies everywhere.

You said that 'more innocent unarmed blacks were killed last year' - did you mean more than another demographic or just more on top of the previous year?

Most websites I've seen simply track the number of people killed rather than the number of unarmed people

The same basic principle of providing evidence for your claims applies everywhere.

You said that 'more innocent unarmed blacks were killed last year' - did you mean more than another demographic or just more on top of the previous year?

Most websites I've seen simply track the number of people killed rather than the number of unarmed people

Dude. The police in the USA are off the chain. The police plant evidence on suspects to frame them, as with the Ramparts division scandal or they protect drug runners. The police deal in drugs THEMSELVES. Ever heard about New York’s infamous 75th precinct ? Ever heard about the police murdering those who file complaints against them ? Or indiscriminately slaughtering innocent civilians and then covering up the crime ?

Police enforce the war on drugs, which has disproportionately targeted black people, even though according to every study and at every age level, whites use and deal drugs at the same or higher rates than the black people. In fact sometimes the police are told not to enforce drug laws against white people.

The police profile and stop-and-frisk, harassing almost exclusively innocent persons so as to get at the statistical few that have actually committed a crime. In part, these practices are the result of a police culture that rewards officers for the number of arrests they make, rather than the number of conflicts they resolve peacefully.

Indeed, cop culture places such an emphasis on control and domination of civilians as opposed to de-escalation of tension and conflict resolution that even some law enforcement organisations are beginning to acknowledge the problem.

Police in Ferguson, Missouri functioned for years as the enforcers of a massive municipal shakedown scheme, in which black people were targeted for minor offences, ticketed and then fined so as to raise money for local government. When the riots happened in the USA last year following the killing of Michael Brown, police responded to protests by using military equipment and tactics, sending a message that they were essentially at war with their own people !! Tactics that they are now admitting only escalated the crisis.

Police threaten to kill black folks and hide the evidence, but are allowed to keep their jobs. They love posting blatantly racist and even homicidal rants on their social media pages or in text messages, in town after town across America: dozens of such cases in the past year that we know of, including one particularly egregious case in San Francisco, in which a group of officers exchanged messages calling African Americans “monkeys” and declaring that all blacks (whom they certainly didn’t refer to in that way) “must hang.”

Or another case from Albuquerque where an officer who shot and killed a suspect after a traffic stop referred to his profession as “human waste disposal” on Facebook. And in some of these cases, the racist cops have also been allowed to keep their jobs or to get them back after being fired, as recently happened in Florida.Police beat black suspects without cause and then lie about it, or plant evidence to cover up their misdeeds, or respond to the least verbal challenge with violence, as in the case of Eric Garner who was killed by a Staten Island cop by way of neck compression, simply for telling police to stop harassing him.

Police have too often shot first and asked questions (or not) later, and are far quicker to shoot unarmed black folks than unarmed whites. Or to shoot children like Tamir Rice, playing with a toy gun and then lie about the incident.

Is that enough evidence for you ?

I have plenty more if you want it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PrincePaul657777

Your rant was lovely and I wish I had the time to verify all of the claims you made. It still didn't back up the claim that the number of unarmed black people killed is higher than the number of white people. I'm not saying it's untrue, I simply asked for evidence of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your rant was lovely and I wish I had the time to verify all of the claims you made. It still didn't back up the claim that the number of unarmed black people killed is higher than the number of white people. I'm not saying it's untrue, I simply asked for evidence of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

All they did was provide evidence of unfair brutality towards black people 😂 like they literally did what you asked for

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You want evidence ?.

No problem.

Black people in the USA knows that black males are twenty-one times more likely than white males to be killed by police, not because we commit crime twenty-one times more often or resist arrest at a rate that is twenty-one times greater than the rate for whites, but because we are perceived as dangerous in ways that white men are not.

Even when we are unarmed and posing no threat to police at all. In places like New York, this reality has been evident for a long time and in case after case for decades.

We know that white folks can parade around with guns and not be shot, tased or in any way abused by officers. Even when whites threaten those officers.

Even when they verbally taunt and abuse those officers outside a school. Even when they bring that weapon to a park between the White House and Capitol building, and proceed to issue political threats.

We know that a white man can actually point his weapon at officers. (I'll say that again) We know that a white man can actually point his weapon at officers, refuse to drop that weapon when told to do so, and even demand that the officers “drop their f*cking guns,” as happened last year in New Orleans and still be alive..

We know that a white man can actually take an officer’s gun from him and manage to get a shot off without being killed or beaten to a bloody pulp, as recently happened in the USA.

We know that a white guy can shoot at cops with a BB gun and not be violently beaten or killed for his actions, as happened in the USA last year. Or that white guys can shoot up a Walmart in Idaho and be taken into custody without injury.

Or point a gun at cops in Pennsylvania and not be killed or injured. Or point a gun at firefighters in Phoenix and not get shot when the cops arrive.

We know a white woman can shoot up a neighborhood and lead cops on a car chase during which she also shoots at them, as happened last year in the USA, and still live to tell the story.

No matter what white folks do and no matter how they behave, those behaviours will never reflect badly on them. So when white men brawl in the streets at a St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York, as was recently captured on video, nothing happened or said. But let their be fight at a hip-hop event with black people. You'd never hear the end of it.

But it does not matter that white officers were found to have been sending around or posting blatantly racist e-mails, videos or text messages, as in Florida and San Francisco, or, for that matter, in Ferguson. Or posting racist updates on their Facebook walls in case after case after case after case after case after case after case after case after case after case.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OreoCookie181
All they did was provide evidence of unfair brutality towards black people 😂 like they literally did what you asked for

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I asked for evidence of specific statistic...

Original post by PrincePaul657777

You're creating your own argument and completely ignoring what I said. I asked for evidence to say that more unarmed black people are killed than unarmed white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're creating your own argument and completely ignoring what I said. I asked for evidence to say that more unarmed black people are killed than unarmed white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, sorry. Here's the evidence you wanted then, read this article.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if you don't want to read the whole thing:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1460659956.715805.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, you just calmly ignored what PrincePaul wrote in his post up there ^^^^^ and went back to ask for the same evidence that black people are killed more than white people.

Well done :congrats:

Well i provided you with evidence, took me 2 seconds to find.

Maybe you need to filter down your searches, ive found A LOT that does say that a lot of innocent blacks are killed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop ignoring the stats that both me and princepaul have given. They definitively prove it.

If you deny that then that is just a reflection of your intelligence.

Latest

Trending

Trending