The Student Room Group

Aqa triple science *official thread* *2016* (gcse)

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="A;64062769" Ms="Ms"]
Original post by Oblivion99
Terminal velocity: when air resistance is = to your weight, then you reach a terminal velocity. This is the highest velocity attainable by an object as it falls through air. All inaminate objects, and humans, have momentum and thus have atleast two forces acting on them. [Weight and Air Resistance] :^_^: Thus when you fall in the air, its these two forces that act on you. But which one is bigger? If your falling at a high velocity in the air, which will be bigger, air resistance or weight? Air resistance, but weight will also be acting upon you but at a lower distribution. Air resistance exists because air molecules collide into a falling body creating an upward force opposite gravity. This upward force will eventually balance the falling body's weight. Parachutes lower the terminal velocity, so its safe for you to land on the ground. If not then, :bike:

Electromagnetic, is when you have an iron core (in appliance) and as there is a changing magnetic field in the iron core, an current/pd is induced along the ends of a secondary coil attached to a primary coil. If there was an d.c instead of a.c, no current would be changed and thus the p.d would be 0.

Motor effect: when a wire cuts the field lines of a magnetic field, it causes a force to act on the wire. If you resemble, with flemings left hand rule you can find the direction/current etc. Its hard to explain on here but i'll leave a link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/triple_aqa/keeping_things_moving/the_motor_effect/revision/3/[/QUOTE]

OMG thank you sooooo much!!! Much appreciated :smile:

I thought that when you start accelerating downwards, it's because weight is greater than air resistance? Then a.r eventually increases until the forces are balanced when you reach terminal velocity??
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey guys I've got a quick question :smile:
For biology ISA i got an A is it possible for me to get an A* overall ?!

I guess so yeah but you'll have to get pretty high marks in the exams
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey guys I've got a quick question :smile:
For biology ISA i got an A is it possible for me to get an A* overall ?!

Of course! ISA's are only worth 25% so as long as you get a high A* depending on how high or low your A is, you should be fine :smile:
Some people think the B1 6 marker could be drugs? But thalidomide seems too short to be 6 marks? Or could it be talking about the stages in approving a drug? (double blind trial..)
Original post by sunny181113
Some people think the B1 6 marker could be drugs? But thalidomide seems too short to be 6 marks? Or could it be talking about the stages in approving a drug? (double blind trial..)

yeah...that is more likely to be the 6 marker.
Has anybody here done the Physics ISA? Horrible return to school for me as we just had today to write the notes down for Paper 1 and the exam is tomorrow. The ISA is on LED's. Anybody done this here?
Original post by ibte10
Has anybody here done the Physics ISA? Horrible return to school for me as we just had today to write the notes down for Paper 1 and the exam is tomorrow. The ISA is on LED's. Anybody done this here?

Yup..easy...46/50 - A*
Original post by sulaimanali
Yup..easy...46/50 - A*

Did you do the LED based paper? If you did can you help me please?
Original post by ibte10
Did you do the LED based paper? If you did can you help me please?

I also did it:biggrin:
Original post by katerebecca
I also did it:biggrin:
I sucked a** at it, got 40 lol
i am struggling with ideas on how to revise science , any ideas would be greatly appreciated and also does anyone know where i can find like practice questions to do (NOT PAST PAPERS) thank you
Original post by blueribbons99
i am struggling with ideas on how to revise science , any ideas would be greatly appreciated and also does anyone know where i can find like practice questions to do (NOT PAST PAPERS) thank you

I subscribed to my-gcsescience.com which has revision videos and practise questions for each topic with mark scheme. They're really worth the money! He has all of core on his youtube which you can watch free :smile:
Original post by katerebecca
I subscribed to my-gcsescience.com which has revision videos and practise questions for each topic with mark scheme. They're really worth the money! He has all of core on his youtube which you can watch free :smile:

Yeah mygcsescience is really good but for me it's quite easy to lose concentration so watch a few videos at a time. Do those questions, there are some on BBC bite size and I'm sure you can just type whatever questions u want into Google x
Original post by sulaimanali
Yup..easy...46/50 - A*

I got the same mark as you how weird :smile: :biggrin:
My school is still teaching us C3 now! I'm worried about the course being so crammed!
Hello, at my school we have finished all of the units and now it is just revision, revision, revision! Our teacher has even created a murder mystery involving topics from all of the units, I'll let you know how that goes.

I have recently done a week of mocks doing units 2 and 3 one after another and I'm sorry but when I did these exams you only had five minutes break whilst they collected and handed out the papers. You couldn't do any last minute revision and you could only leave if you needed the toilet.

I only have my results back for my biology exams, I scored an A overall a couple marks off an A* but considering I really don't like biology, I am quite happy. Has anyone get any tips on how to score higher on the biology papers, especially on B2 and B3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jazzjsaunders
My school is still teaching us C3 now! I'm worried about the course being so crammed!

Same here, maybe try and go beyond what your teacher will be teaching you in class at home so you already have an idea of certain topics already. Or you could self teach, that's what I'm having to do
A weird question but in like a 3 mark question, if the mark scheme shows that if you write specific 3 words in your answer you would get 3 marks. So if I write those 3 words only and nothing else would I still get all the marks or would I have to expand on the points?

I know its a bit of a long question :colondollar:
Original post by Dizgurl
A weird question but in like a 3 mark question, if the mark scheme shows that if you write specific 3 words in your answer you would get 3 marks. So if I write those 3 words only and nothing else would I still get all the marks or would I have to expand on the points?

I know its a bit of a long question :colondollar:

usually with a 3 marker the points link. It wouldn't make sense to just list the three words for the marks, but you don't have to expand on them. U have to make sure you link and include the words in your sentence or answer to get the three marks.
Original post by Tayabah_
usually with a 3 marker the points link. It wouldn't make sense to just list the three words for the marks, but you don't have to expand on them. U have to make sure you link and include the words in your sentence or answer to get the three marks.

Thanks for the clarification :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending