The Student Room Group

Have degrees become too common?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stk1010
Whether the economy will benefit is simply impossible to answer, however, I think the economy would benefit more so if people went straight into full time work/apprenticeships rather than spending three years studying (unless their desired career insisted on having a degree).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that what you plan to do?
Original post by Keyhofi
Everyone has a degree and everyone has a Master's. That is why I'm doing a doctorate - so I can stand out. No one copy me please.

so another +3 years more worth of studying.

So in summary you would have spent 7 years at university studying I.e (4 year MSc + 3 year PHD)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
so another +3 years more worth of studying.

So in summary you would have spent 7 years at university studying I.e (4 year MSc + 3 year PHD)

8 years, as I'm doing an EngD rather than PhD. 4 years study + 4 years of professional employment. Doing a PhD would be horrible as you'll be stuck in a university environment for another 3-4 years. After spending so long around students I can tell you that it's great to get away from them.
I agree with this (and not just because 53% of us have a degree). I think because we have tried to make going to uni more accessible to everyone (making it fair etc) it has resulted in many degree courses that don't necessarily lead onto a job at the end. I mean, my cousin finished his Media Studies degree nearly 2 years ago and doesnt even hold down a proper job (it doesnt even remotely relate to his degree!) .
To whoever said that degrees are not about memorising things, that's the biggest load of BS I've heard for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amellia123
I agree with this (and not just because 53% of us have a degree). I think because we have tried to make going to uni more accessible to everyone (making it fair etc) it has resulted in many degree courses that don't necessarily lead onto a job at the end. I mean, my cousin finished his Media Studies degree nearly 2 years ago and doesnt even hold down a proper job (it doesnt even remotely relate to his degree!) .

I think it should be important to highlight getting a job and getting a job related to your degree. Many people seem to ignore this point when they choose their degrees/brag about employment figures of their universities.

That being said, many people I know don't want to go into their degree field. They did before starting university but the university experience has put them off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Keyhofi
Everyone has a degree and everyone has a Master's. That is why I'm doing a doctorate - so I can stand out. No one copy me please.

Yeah well I'm.... I'm going to do 5 Doctorates! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?!
Original post by Josb
What I'm saying is that many students are inadequate for traditional university degrees, but they still enroll because the offer of vocational courses is very limited. Not everybody can succeed at university.
Going to university should only be one option among others, not the only way.

For some, for others they would enrol regardless of the vocational degrees on offer.

Everybody can succeed at university. Their "inadequacy" as you so delicately put it, is due to their prior education being inadequate. The solution is not to close down "untraditional" subjects but to continue to improve compulsory education so that we eventually reach a point where everyone could, if they wanted to, study the most challenging subjects. Of course, some will still choose Media and that is okay.
Reply 88
Original post by PQ
Is that what you plan to do?

I currently work full time as a recruitment consultant in London. I currently earn a lot more money and consequently pay more taxes than most of my graduate friends. Also, working in recruitment has opened my eyes to exactly how many graduates are struggling to find jobs.
Original post by acontium
Yeah well I'm.... I'm going to do 5 Doctorates! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?!

Have fun writing five theses then. Each one will be more soul-crushing than the last, I'm sure.
Original post by Keyhofi
Have fun writing five theses then. Each one will be more soul-crushing than the last, I'm sure.

haha! I was only doing the typical TSR out-do haha
In my field of work, you don't even come to the table without a PhD.
Original post by DrSocSciences

Which field out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guessing you are in the sciences?
Original post by Princepieman
Which field out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Human behaviour.

You are all my research subjects. Mwah hah hah.
(edited 8 years ago)
Human behaviour.

I see, sounds pretty cool. Lots of behavioural economics I'm assuming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I see, sounds pretty cool. Lots of behavioural economics I'm assuming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like assumptions. They're very revealing.
I like assumptions. They're very revealing.

HAHAHA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degrees are becoming more and more worthless, because the level of competition (i.e. number of graduates) is increasing over the years.

But having come to the table, the OP suggests you proceed to eat your peas with a knife with your elbows on the table.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending