The Student Room Group

A-level maths???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ARK_REVISES
Plz tell is it hard??? or something

Depends really. A lot of the questions tell you what method you should use. It's just so boring learning it and doing exams on it. Really its hard if you don't get one of the things you need to learn and some questions can be bloody long. Did a past paper where 47/72 was an A, one question was 11 marks but only got 3, still got an A, the last question was horrendously long.
I can't say anything but if u tried similarly at gcse level u could have got A* and it is fun I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is always going to be fun for me :tongue:
Original post by Rajive
What did you get in GCSE maths and AS/A2?

I got a high A at GCSE (I can't remember exactly I think I was 3 or 4 marks off an A*) but I'm on track to get an A for AS level because I'm still in year 12, a lot of the past papers I've been doing for C1 and C2 I've been getting above 90%. It's just a few dumb mistakes that I'm making though :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by TianaEsther
I got a high A at GCSE (I can't remember exactly I think I was 3 or 4 marks off an A*) but I'm on track to get an A for AS level because I'm still in year 12, a lot of the past papers I've been doing for C1 and C2 I've been getting above 90%. It's just a few dumb mistakes that I'm making though :tongue:

Well done, would you say that you worked hard for GCSE in comparison to As level or vice versa?
Original post by Rajive
Well done, would you say that you worked hard for GCSE in comparison to As level or vice versa?

Thank you, and I worked ridiculously hard at GCSE, I would have done every past paper at least twice but some questions just got me in the exam. For AS I feel like I'm not putting in half the amount of effort I should but I'm still getting decent grades so I don't really think I'm going wrong. I was speaking to a few year 11's who were choosing their options and I realised that the maths I do in chemistry is a lot harder than my actual maths course I'm currently doing which is insane tbh. It's definitely the 'easiest' subject I'm doing at the moment out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German.
Reply 45
I'm okay with the core modules, but what im really bogged down about is the Decision and Mechanics. Is it something that I have learnt or is it going to be learned in A level.

Just think of the applied modules as just another exam, you'd revise for it in exactly the same way. The content would be covered in school by your teachers and the same advice I gave for core would be applicable. I'm doing mechanics this year and although a lot of it is new, you'll just have to learn to manage your time between core/applied like you would between exams usually.

Unless you do statistics, which is usually carried on from GCSE the content in the applied module will most likely be new but it will most definitely be taught to you. It's just a case of again keeping up with homework and past papers closer to the exam. Nothing to worry about, you won't be bogged down if you manage your time and you won't be expected to know anything that hasn't been covered by your teachers yet during GCSE (i.e mechanics/decision). :smile:
Original post by meloj
Just think of the applied modules as just another exam, you'd revise for it in exactly the same way. The content would be covered in school by your teachers and the same advice I gave for core would be applicable. I'm doing mechanics this year and although a lot of it is new, you'll just have to learn to manage your time between core/applied like you would between exams usually.

Unless you do statistics, which is usually carried on from GCSE the content in the applied module will most likely be new but it will most definitely be taught to you. It's just a case of again keeping up with homework and past papers closer to the exam. Nothing to worry about, you won't be bogged down if you manage your time and you won't be expected to know anything that hasn't been covered by your teachers yet during GCSE (i.e mechanics/decision). :smile:

Tnx I'm trying to do further maths, maths, physics and probably chemistry. I hate statistics, so I wanna do mechanics in my maths course as it would help my physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest