The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
No, I'm British. :3 And no, I don't think it's fair to be absolute about it. One could have dropped out/failed for any number of reasons out of one's control.
Thats the way it works for A-levels in failing or not achieving so dont see the difference although yes dropping out is a little more circumstantial
Original post by Hydeman
A lot of UK medical schools have that policy for reasons that I don't quite know. :dontknow: And it's not just a medicine course -- they won't take you if you've dropped out/failed any university course. It does seem a bit absolutist and cruel. :moon:

Yep :/ it was different in the past ! I have a friend (he is 27 right now tho ) who failed med in Paris like me and was admitted to King's College. He told me to apply, which I did. They found me interesting etc, then I had to tell them were I come from lol, and they were like "errrrm"

Original post by Hydeman
No, I'm British. :3 And no, I don't think it's fair to be absolute about it. One could have dropped out/failed for any number of reasons out of one's control.

True. And I know what I'm talking about lol !
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Thats the way it works for A-levels in failing or not achieving so dont see the difference although yes dropping out is a little more circumstantial

Most medical schools do allow for extenuating circumstances, though. Obviously, it has to be something more serious than, 'I overslept and they didn't give me extra time at the end', but the provision exists, whereas it doesn't exist for dropouts for any reason whatever.
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Yep :/ it was different in the past ! I have a friend (he is 27 right now tho ) who failed med in Paris like me and was admitted to King's College. He told me to apply, which I did. They found me interesting etc, then I had to tell them were I come from lol, and they were like "errrrm"

Did your friend tell the people at King's that he'd failed? These things can be easy to hide for international students...
Original post by Hydeman
Did your friend tell the people at King's that he'd failed? These things can be easy to hide for international students...

He did !
And I didn't know I could lie about it LOL ! Whatever it's okay because it would have been for 2017 , and I don't wanna wait :3
He did !
And I didn't know I could lie about it LOL ! Whatever it's okay because it would have been for 2017 , and I don't wanna wait :3

You're not supposed to, but it's supposedly harder for international students to get caught because, unlike British students, there doesn't exist a national database somewhere with all their academic records against which applications can be checked. Still, one shouldn't do it because medicine is one of those professions that, even if you eventually became a big-shot in the international doctors' community, they could still, after all those years, revoke your licence for one little lie you told at the start. :O

Impatient unicorn. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You're not supposed to, but it's supposedly harder for international students to get caught because, unlike British students, there doesn't exist a national database somewhere with all their academic records against which applications can be checked.

Impatient unicorn. :tongue:

Evil Hydeman :eek3: ! You know it's good to know, because I have a friend who wants to apply to UK. - she failed med as well - I'll tell her to hyde her failure :innocent:

Yes I am :mmm: - put spoiler here if you wanna be cool -

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Still, one shouldn't do it because medicine is one of those professions that, even if you eventually became a big-shot in the international doctors' community, they could still, after all those years, revoke your licence for one little lie you told at the start. :O

Hahahahaha ! I replied before I could see your edit :' )
Evil Hydeman :eek3: ! You know it's good to know, because I have a friend who wants to apply to UK. - she failed med as well - I'll tell her to hyde her failure :innocent:

Don't. :tongue: See my edit.

Yes I am :mmm: - put spoiler here if you wanna be cool -

Spoiler

I'm happily uncool. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Don't. :tongue: See my edit.

I'm happily uncool. :biggrin:

Spoiler

You're not uncool :console:

Spoiler

You're not uncool :console:

Spoiler

Oh, yes I am. :moon:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Oh, yes I am. :moon:

Spoiler

Awww I didn't know you were Jekyll tonight !

Spoiler

Awww I didn't know you were Jekyll tonight !

Spoiler

Hydes can be boring, too. :lol:
Original post by Hydeman
Hydes can be boring, too. :lol:

PRSOM :biggrin:
Wow
Original post by Andy98
Wow

Such a detailed comment. :wink:
Original post by Andy98
Wow

From you I know it's a compliment, thanks :lovehug: