The Student Room Group

Can we finally agree the Premier league isn't the best now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Damien96
On top winning a grand total of 2 titles, one of which was the biggest fluke in the history of the competition.

Original post by Diego Costa
Lol at you showing your ignorance at calling Istanbul a fluke. I could call Barcelona's '06 win a fluke going by your logic of "'cos they came from behind they shouldn't of won". We could look at the terrible refereeing in 2009 that enabled Barcelona's CL win.

Once Real and Valencia had tailed off at the start off the 2000's. The English clubs were on top. Barcelona and Milan were among them, but it's daft for you to say the PL wasn't the strongest league in the 2000's.

It wasn't really the 2000s, we didn't reach a single final in the first half of that decade. It was more like 05-12, where we won 3 and were runner up 5 times, next closest being Spain who won 3 with 0 runners up. So English clubs were definitely dominant for a while, especially as all Spain's were one club while ours were 4 different clubs.
Original post by moggis
*actually I'm lucky enough to have a choice of living anywhere in Europe but choose here because I love the weather, I get on with immigrants especially Poles,unattractive women are more likely to sleep with me and I rather like living in ********

So I'm quite possibly not in my right mind:frown:

This is possibly one of the best things I've ever read
Reply 62
This is possibly one of the best things I've ever read

I honestly wish you hadn't said that.

Unless you were being ironical.

I'm really not the kind of person that makes derogatory remarks about the way women look. It's utterly insensitive and thoughtless.

Spoiler

Reply 63
Lol at you showing your ignorance at calling Istanbul a fluke. I could call Barcelona's '06 win a fluke going by your logic of "'cos they came from behind they shouldn't of won". We could look at the terrible refereeing in 2009 that enabled Barcelona's CL win.

Once Real and Valencia had tailed off at the start off the 2000's. The English clubs were on top. Barcelona and Milan were among them, but it's daft for you to say the PL wasn't the strongest league in the 2000's.

Premier League wins in the 2000s - 2
Reply 64
Original post by difeo
It wasn't really the 2000s, we didn't reach a single final in the first half of that decade. It was more like 05-12, where we won 3 and were runner up 5 times, next closest being Spain who won 3 with 0 runners up. So English clubs were definitely dominant for a while, especially as all Spain's were one club while ours were 4 different clubs.

I would say we were competitive for those years, dominance would require more than 3 wins in 8 years and that's by the most flattering stats within the most productive time lien you could choose.

2 of those wins were extremely fortunate as well. That isn't to say Chelsea and Liverpool didn't deserve it, luck is what you make of it, but I would say that further points away from the domination claim.
Reply 65
I have to be honest, there was very little separating PSG and Man City last night. I thought the former tired significantly in the final quarter of the game, and their midfield was way off the level I've come to expect from them.
Reply 66
I would say we were competitive for those years, dominance would require more than 3 wins in 8 years and that's by the most flattering stats within the most productive time lien you could choose.

2 of those wins were extremely fortunate as well. That isn't to say Chelsea and Liverpool didn't deserve it, luck is what you make of it, but I would say that further points away from the domination claim.

I agree with your main point.

And disagree that ache less and `liverpool deserved it because " luck is what you make of it"

Either you are lucky or not lucky.

Being lucky means you didn't deserve something .

(Unless you're say a woman who's spent 20 years caring for someone who then wins the lottery.Mind you even there there will be a 1000 better deservees)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by moggis
I agree with your main point.

And disagree that ache less and `liverpool deserved it because " luck is what you make of it"

Either you are lucky or not lucky.

Being lucky means you didn't deserve something .

(Unless you're say a woman who's spent 20 years caring for someone who then wins the lottery.Mind you even there there will be a 1000 better deservees)

Well going off at a tangent, which is always fun, luck, for my mind, is a matter of chance and not a way to describe an outcome. Liverpool were very very lucky to still be in the game, to have made the final, to have Shevchenko miss an open goal. They still needed to take advantage of that luck, however.

You can't win a football match on luck alone. Not that I'm a fan of Liverpool, this i sums up my opinion of them quite succinctly .....

http://thesatedire.com/sport/liverpool-f-c-to-punish-cartoons-of-shankly-with-death/
Reply 68
Well going off at a tangent, which is always fun, luck, for my mind, is a matter of chance and not a way to describe an outcome. Liverpool were very very lucky to still be in the game, to have made the final, to have Shevchenko miss an open goal. They still needed to take advantage of that luck, however.

You can't win a football match on luck alone. Not that I'm a fan of Liverpool, this i sums up my opinion of them quite succinctly .....

http://thesatedire.com/sport/liverpool-f-c-to-punish-cartoons-of-shankly-with-death/

I must admit I laughed at the news items.

You are absolutely right to describe luck as purely a matter of chance.

It's not my way to describe an outcome usually.

I believe that chance plays a bigger part in football than most people seem to.
Reply 69
Original post by moggis
I must admit I laughed at the news items.

You are absolutely right to describe luck as purely a matter of chance.

It's not my way to describe an outcome usually.

I believe that chance plays a bigger part in football than most people seem to.

Yeah, I agree.

Mind you, it would be boring if it didn't.
Reply 70
Yeah, I agree.

Mind you, it would be boring if it didn't.

Yeah ,that's why I don't watch other sports much.:smile:

Much prefer watching the scores changing.
I personally think this years PL is very interesting although the quality isn't great. I think next season the quality stands a good chance of rising again as several of the top teams might have new managers (some already do, Livepool, Man City will do, cant really see Van gal surviving but who knows!)
Strong?
No
Exciting?
Oh yeah!!!!!!!
Reply 73
Original post by ODES_PDES
Strong?
No
Exciting?
Oh yeah!!!!!!!

Well that depends on who you are watching. I can't say it hasn't been entertaining this season though. The absurdity of it alone has been amazing.
Reply 74
Original post by matthew2014
I personally think this years PL is very interesting although the quality isn't great. I think next season the quality stands a good chance of rising again as several of the top teams might have new managers (some already do, Livepool, Man City will do, cant really see Van gal surviving but who knows!)

I agree but I thought the standard of the top teams would improve every year for the last 4 and it just gets worse.

I still remain hopefully for the reasons you stated though.
I agree but I thought the standard of the top teams would improve every year for the last 4 and it just gets worse.I still remain hopefully for the reasons you stated though.
Yea, I personally hope Wenger gets replaced
Reply 76
I think the thing with Wenger now is that it is becoming increasingly beneficial for both parties if he and Arsenal were to part ways. Of course, there's the argument that, if he couldn't steer Arsenal to a PL title in a season where Man City, Chelsea, Man United et al were floundering, when can he?

Next year, you can bank on all three of those sides - plus Liverpool under Klopp - to enjoy a renaissance, and I don't think Pochetinno and Spurs are going anywhere either.
Reply 77
Original post by Mackay
I think the thing with Wenger now is that it is becoming increasingly beneficial for both parties if he and Arsenal were to part ways. Of course, there's the argument that, if he couldn't steer Arsenal to a PL title in a season where Man City, Chelsea, Man United et al were floundering, when can he?

Next year, you can bank on all three of those sides - plus Liverpool under Klopp - to enjoy a renaissance, and I don't think Pochetinno and Spurs are going anywhere either.

I think you may be right but with Wenger it should be noted that he kept Arsenal in the top 4 when he had no right to. He was enormously outspent and they became a selling club in order to finance the new stadium. Why anyone thought they should be winning the league when Man City and Chelsea were spending hundreds of millions is beyond me.
I think you may be right but with Wenger it should be noted that he kept Arsenal in the top 4 when he had no right to. He was enormously outspent and they became a selling club in order to finance the new stadium. Why anyone thought they should be winning the league when Man City and Chelsea were spending hundreds of millions is beyond me.
You may have a point there, but even so, especially this season he should have delivered more, people said he needed to buy and he didn't par 2 players; now Arsenal are out of everything.On top of that he hasn't got Arsenal into the quarter finals of champions league in 6 years now.I respect Wenger fully and appreciate his loyalty and still think he is a legend for his first 10 years of work but hes starting to tarnish his reputation and he needs to call it a day; that's coming from a life long Arsenal fan.
Original post by Mackay

Who could Arsenal feasibly get that would do better than Wenger? I genuinely don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest