The Student Room Group

Stockings + Suspender Belt or Hold Ups

So long story cut short is that in just under a month, my girlfriend's gonna be 18 and for her birthday I wanted to get her some underwear.

I have got her lingerie earlier on in our relationship and we have both said in the past that we would like to try stockings (of some kind).

Recently we have been looking into them a bit more and she says that in regards to stockings and suspender belts she is a little 'stressed out' by how they work and all (and I can't blame her to be honest).

However, I'd like to surprise her. Originally my idea was to get her a nice set of black underwear with suspender belt and stockings included to go with her only pair of heels (which are also black). Yet yesterday, I learnt that she doesn't feel comfortable wearing her heels (she has never work heels before so doesn't intend to either).

So my next idea is to possibly get a black set or something like that and maybe a pair of stockings with a suspender belt (so that it's all matching).

I was just wondering whether anybody had any experience with both stockings and suspenders and if so, what you would recommend for beginners because I would personally prefer to get her the stockings with suspender belt as I find it more seductive but equally I would never like my girlfriend to be uncomfortable, especially for such an intimate time whilst we're together so I would just like some of your thoughts please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're actually really easy to use. If she's unsure she can go into lingerie shop and ask them. That's what I did a bazillion years ago when I was 16
Reply 2
Stocking and suspenders are easy to manage, at least for bedroom antics. Not sure they're so practical for out and about. The first time I bought lingerie for a girlfriend her sister came along to advise.
Original post by ~Tara~
They're actually really easy to use. If she's unsure she can go into lingerie shop and ask them. That's what I did a bazillion years ago when I was 16

So you think it'd be ok to go straight for stockings with suspenders rather than hold ups? :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Zarek
Stocking and suspenders are easy to manage, at least for bedroom antics. Not sure they're so practical for out and about. The first time I bought lingerie for a girlfriend her sister came along to advise.

I don't personally plan on her using them for anything other than the bedroom in all honesty! - It's good you had that option for her sister to help you!
Reply 5
If it's just bedroom use then definitely fine. Hold ups are more comfortable for most people in everyday use but I prefer suspenders so you don't have to worry about them rolling down or losing their stickiness
Reply 6
Original post by physics_geek97
So long story cut short is that in just under a month, my girlfriend's gonna be 18 and for her birthday I wanted to get her some underwear.

I have got her lingerie earlier on in our relationship and we have both said in the past that we would like to try stockings (of some kind).

Recently we have been looking into them a bit more and she says that in regards to stockings and suspender belts she is a little 'stressed out' by how they work and all (and I can't blame her to be honest).

However, I'd like to surprise her. Originally my idea was to get her a nice set of black underwear with suspender belt and stockings included to go with her only pair of heels (which are also black). Yet yesterday, I learnt that she doesn't feel comfortable wearing her heels (she has never work heels before so doesn't intend to either).

So my next idea is to possibly get a black set or something like that and maybe a pair of stockings with a suspender belt (so that it's all matching).

I was just wondering whether anybody had any experience with both stockings and suspenders and if so, what you would recommend for beginners because I would personally prefer to get her the stockings with suspender belt as I find it more seductive but equally I would never like my girlfriend to be uncomfortable, especially for such an intimate time whilst we're together so I would just like some of your thoughts please :smile:

I got all excited reading your post!
Original post by ~Tara~
If it's just bedroom use then definitely fine. Hold ups are more comfortable for most people in everyday use but I prefer suspenders so you don't have to worry about them rolling down or losing their stickiness

That makes complete sense! & I guess that realistically, for what I'd like to get them for, they'd last longer as stockings+suspenders rather than hold ups because if they loose their stickiness, then you'd have to get a new pair?
Reply 8
Original post by ~Tara~

Agree with this. I wear hold ups for work because suspender belts under work dresses are just hassle. But a matching underwear set with suspender belt etc does look really hot, perfect for the bedroom.

Also regarding her wearing the heels, she's not really gonna be walking in them is she? :wink: so nothing to worry about there.

Have fun!
I don't personally plan on her using them for anything other than the bedroom in all honesty! - It's good you had that option for her sister to help you!

Who buys someone a birthday present and has 'plans' that that person would only use the present when it benefits the person that bought it? I don't know your girlfriend and maybe she would only want to wear stockings 'in the bedroom' but it sounds like you only want to buy her something to get you off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amylouisenic
Agree with this. I wear hold ups for work because suspender belts under work dresses are just hassle. But a matching underwear set with suspender belt etc does look really hot, perfect for the bedroom.

Also regarding her wearing the heels, she's not really gonna be walking in them is she? :wink: so nothing to worry about there.

Have fun!

So would it be best to get a while matching set or would just a black belt with black stockings work and she could put them with a black bra and pants she already has?

I would love her to wear the heels but despite her not having to walk a lot in them, she still doesn't want to wear them and says they're a faff so convincing her otherwise is hard D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So would it be best to get a while matching set or would just a black belt with black stockings work and she could put them with a black bra and pants she already has?

I would love her to wear the heels but despite her not having to walk a lot in them, she still doesn't want to wear them and says they're a faff so convincing her otherwise is hard D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm, I suppose if she already has a black underwear set and you're planning on going for black suspender belt etc it's not that necessary and would definitely work. But if it was me, I'd like a whole new set haha - after all it is her birthday!

That is such a shame, I reckon you should suggest she tries it all on with the heels in private just to see how she feels in it. She might decide they make her feel sexy!
Hmmm, I suppose if she already has a black underwear set and you're planning on going for black suspender belt etc it's not that necessary and would definitely work. But if it was me, I'd like a whole new set haha - after all it is her birthday!

That is such a shame, I reckon you should suggest she tries it all on with the heels in private just to see how she feels in it. She might decide they make her feel sexy!

That's a very fair point! So far I've got her a ticket to go to the Shard in London and so my plan is to hopefully stay the night and it could all be worn then! - her heels are kind of sparkly black so I guess black would be the best? :smile:

That's a good idea! - I don't know if she would do it but it's worth a go I suppose! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a very fair point! So far I've got her a ticket to go to the Shard in London and so my plan is to hopefully stay the night and it could all be worn then! - her heels are kind of sparkly black so I guess black would be the best? :smile:

That's a good idea! - I don't know if she would do it but it's worth a go I suppose! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh lovely, just for the view or for dinner as well? Black would probably be best as she already has black underwear, so you know she definitely likes that colour of lingerie (if you bought a different colour and she didn't like it that would be awful.) Although the heels do sound like they'd go with most things.

Yeah, it might make her feel more confident in them. But obv if not, it's not a big deal.
Ooh lovely, just for the view or for dinner as well? Black would probably be best as she already has black underwear, so you know she definitely likes that colour of lingerie (if you bought a different colour and she didn't like it that would be awful.) Although the heels do sound like they'd go with most things.

Yeah, it might make her feel more confident in them. But obv if not, it's not a big deal.

Just the view at the moment but obviously she doesn't have a clue about it yet so I guess we could always arrange to eat if she decided she'd like that too. That's what I think....I'd hate to get her a colour that doesn't quite go together/she doesn't like!

It wouldn't surprise me if she does feel more confident in them but she has never wore heels so I can understand why she is against the idea at first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
In my experience, white stockings and suspenders are for wedding days and sexy nurse outfits. White stockings rarely have any use beyond that for adult women
Original post by ~Tara~
In my experience, white stockings and suspenders are for wedding days and sexy nurse outfits. White stockings rarely have any use beyond that for adult women

Yeah I think black are for the win :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just the view at the moment but obviously she doesn't have a clue about it yet so I guess we could always arrange to eat if she decided she'd like that too. That's what I think....I'd hate to get her a colour that doesn't quite go together/she doesn't like!

It wouldn't surprise me if she does feel more confident in them but she has never wore heels so I can understand why she is against the idea at first

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, well make sure you book in advance as if you expect to get a table on the night you probably won't be able to.

Yeah so can I :smile:
Ah ok, well make sure you book in advance as if you expect to get a table on the night you probably won't be able to.

Yeah so can I :smile:

Ooh thanks for the heads up!

I'll have to try and order something fairly soon then:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Who buys someone a birthday present and has 'plans' that that person would only use the present when it benefits the person that bought it?

It's not quite in the same league as the rock album I bought my little sister for Christmas back when we were kids :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest