The Student Room Group

My boyfriend broke up with me and now he's not talking to me

We have been together almost 4 years.
I have done nothing wrong, he goes away with his mates loads and I never have an issue with it. But like when he got back the other week he had been away for 12 days and he had the Tuesday after Easter Monday off... I asked to see him he said he was doing Someones coursework,?! This girl who he's knows years and used to go out with his best mate. It's nothing romantic. And I was like but I have dentist at 3? Why can't you see me. And that was it! 'You've annoyed me now so I'll see you after the dentist' .... Went round that night it was fine.
Then that weekend he went out in sat night and didn't text me all night which I'm used to now, but the Sunday morning I had seen head been to a club ? All I said was 'you went *** :s' but id also sent him nice texts too. Well that was it! He kicked off saying I had an attitude? Then proceeded to ignore me for 2 days until I saw him on the Tuesday. On the Tuesday he was horrible to me before I went round, I had said to him that day are we ok? He said yes. I asked if he was alright he said yeh just not feeling well.
When I was at his, we watched tve for an hour then j said to him you sure you're alright? He said 'I can't do this anymore' I said what? He went 'this relationship' ... 😳😳😳I was so devastated. But I was upset but I got up and said ok you've done this before so fine. He looked shocked, I asked if there was anyone else and he said I clearly don't know him cuz there's not. I hadn't suspected that anyway. And he said 'we've just changed, not on the same page, it's not you its me' 😂✌🏼️. So I said yeah you've changed you think you're all that . Which I didn't mean! But I was angry! He went 'get out my house before I lose it' I went 'what u gonna do hit Me?' . Then he stormed out! Haven't heard or seen him since and that was 9 days ago 😞😩I messaged him on Monday after 6 days and it completely back fired! He said to me that what I said after he broke up with me that I've done the damage?... He said what I said means I think he's something that he's not. I apologised and told him it was said out of anger. All i had asked was if he is ok and can we speak face to face.
Now since Monday he hasn't contacted me. :frown: some people reckon it's an argument and he doesn't really wanna split up but I think he definitely does. Why ignore me? I'm clearly upset. He has some of my parents money and my stuff at his house but hasn't contacted me about it.
Is he regretting it? He goes away on business with work in 10 days for 2 weeks. Should I expect a text from him before or when he's back?
We've been together 4 years it's silly to throw it away, especially if he just never talks to me again.

Scroll to see replies

Okay, but... if he broke up with you, he isn't your boyfriend. I mean, I'm sorry, I know that's tough, but the nature of relationships is that when one person decides they don't want to be in the relationship anymore, it ends. The other person doesn't have to have done something 'wrong'; and the person ending the relationship doesn't have to explain and give reasons - it's just over.

It's possible, that at some time in the near or far future, the two of you may get back together again. But it's also equally possible that you won't, and for right now I think you need to believe what he's telling you, through both his words and his actions, which is that the two of you aren't in a relationship. I'm sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but that seems to be the situation you're describing. Look after yourself, be kind to yourself, and spend time doing things that help you to feel a bit better, and eventually it'll start to feel less rubbish.
Reply 2
He is clearly not happy in this relationship and i think he is using what you said as an excuse to not get back together.
You do need to chat with him about getting your things back but at the minute give him space and in a couple of days time message him when he has cooled down.
Reply 3
I'm not gonna lie, he sounds like a bit of a manipulative d*ck...

First of all, you don't deserve to be ignored for 2 days because you sent him a text that he didnt't like. You don't do that to someone you supposedly love, you talk it through and work it out. Also, if my boyfriend went out to a club and didn't text me the whole night...he would wake up to an absolute s*itstorm. It's just a matter of respect, if you allow someone to treat you like that, they will keep doing it and he will end up taking you for granted.

Secondly, how can HE break up with you and then try and turn it around on you and say that you've done the damage?!?! Ridiculous.

You shouldn't have apologised to him, he should be the one apologising to you. He's just broken up with you, of course you're going to be upset and lash out.

I think in the time that he's gone you should have a really good think about whether you even want to be with someone like that. Do you not think you deserve better? And please don't message him or chase him, he'll only realise what he had when it's gone. If he really loves you he will come grovelling back, if not...that's his loss.

And if you do end up taking him back, don't make it so easy lol. Have some self-respect!

P.s I don't mean to sound harsh, but tough love is necessary sometimes. #GIRLPOWER
Doesn't sound like he has much respect for the way you feel, you sound pretty understanding from the way I see it! A relationship is give and take, and it sounds like he's just taking and expecting you to be ok with it, and the minute you're understandably not happy about something, the easiest and most immature way to get out of it is to end it. How old are you both? it sounds like you're both quite young maybe 18/ younger? He's not worth it if he treats you like this. I went out with a guy when I was 18 and he was 16 (!!) and he did this to me, we were fine one day, then I said something and he ended it and didn't contact me for 6 months..don't let him mess with your head, you're better than that xx
Reply 5
Original post by smellybelly1991
Doesn't sound like he has much respect for the way you feel, you sound pretty understanding from the way I see it! A relationship is give and take, and it sounds like he's just taking and expecting you to be ok with it, and the minute you're understandably not happy about something, the easiest and most immature way to get out of it is to end it. How old are you both? it sounds like you're both quite young maybe 18/ younger? He's not worth it if he treats you like this. I went out with a guy when I was 18 and he was 16 (!!) and he did this to me, we were fine one day, then I said something and he ended it and didn't contact me for 6 months..don't let him mess with your head, you're better than that xx

22 and he's 23! So he's very immature!
Reply 6
Original post by tilray
I'm not gonna lie, he sounds like a bit of a manipulative d*ck...

First of all, you don't deserve to be ignored for 2 days because you sent him a text that he didnt't like. You don't do that to someone you supposedly love, you talk it through and work it out. Also, if my boyfriend went out to a club and didn't text me the whole night...he would wake up to an absolute s*itstorm. It's just a matter of respect, if you allow someone to treat you like that, they will keep doing it and he will end up taking you for granted.

Secondly, how can HE break up with you and then try and turn it around on you and say that you've done the damage?!?! Ridiculous.

You shouldn't have apologised to him, he should be the one apologising to you. He's just broken up with you, of course you're going to be upset and lash out.

I think in the time that he's gone you should have a really good think about whether you even want to be with someone like that. Do you not think you deserve better? And please don't message him or chase him, he'll only realise what he had when it's gone. If he really loves you he will come grovelling back, if not...that's his loss.

And if you do end up taking him back, don't make it so easy lol. Have some self-respect!

P.s I don't mean to sound harsh, but tough love is necessary sometimes. #GIRLPOWER

Noo you're not being harsh you're being helpful. I'm very understanding with him I never go mad if he plans another trip with his friends or doesn't contact me on a night out...but he doesn't go out often. I obviously get upset but I found if I said something that annoyed him he would just go mad and ignore me! I feel like he has anger problems. He never used to be like that with me, the first 2.5 years he was sweet and lovely.
Even up until the day before he did this, he would say he loves me! And I don't drive he would give me lifts and do anything for me really... I feel like this has come out of the blue. I don't know if he is regretting it? But he doesn't care that I'm upset because he hasn't even asked how I am :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I have done nothing wrong, he goes away with his mates loads and I never have an issue with it. But like when he got back the other week he had been away for 12 days and he had the Tuesday after Easter Monday off... I asked to see him he said he was doing Someones coursework,?! This girl who he's knows years and used to go out with his best mate. It's nothing romantic. And I was like but I have dentist at 3? Why can't you see me. And that was it! 'You've annoyed me now so I'll see you after the dentist' .... Went round that night it was fine.
Then that weekend he went out in sat night and didn't text me all night which I'm used to now, but the Sunday morning I had seen head been to a club ? All I said was 'you went *** :s' but id also sent him nice texts too. Well that was it! He kicked off saying I had an attitude? Then proceeded to ignore me for 2 days until I saw him on the Tuesday. On the Tuesday he was horrible to me before I went round, I had said to him that day are we ok? He said yes. I asked if he was alright he said yeh just not feeling well.
When I was at his, we watched tve for an hour then j said to him you sure you're alright? He said 'I can't do this anymore' I said what? He went 'this relationship' ... 😳😳😳I was so devastated. But I was upset but I got up and said ok you've done this before so fine. He looked shocked, I asked if there was anyone else and he said I clearly don't know him cuz there's not. I hadn't suspected that anyway. And he said 'we've just changed, not on the same page, it's not you its me' 😂✌🏼️. So I said yeah you've changed you think you're all that . Which I didn't mean! But I was angry! He went 'get out my house before I lose it' I went 'what u gonna do hit Me?' . Then he stormed out! Haven't heard or seen him since and that was 9 days ago 😞😩I messaged him on Monday after 6 days and it completely back fired! He said to me that what I said after he broke up with me that I've done the damage?... He said what I said means I think he's something that he's not. I apologised and told him it was said out of anger. All i had asked was if he is ok and can we speak face to face.
Now since Monday he hasn't contacted me. :frown: some people reckon it's an argument and he doesn't really wanna split up but I think he definitely does. Why ignore me? I'm clearly upset. He has some of my parents money and my stuff at his house but hasn't contacted me about it.
Is he regretting it? He goes away on business with work in 10 days for 2 weeks. Should I expect a text from him before or when he's back?
We've been together 4 years it's silly to throw it away, especially if he just never talks to me again.

ignore the above; they all reply with a narcistic tendency; your bf isn't built around your life and relationship and shouldn't be expected to take all the negativities of the relationship; he isn't a shield for the relationships' bad events/your lashing out (which in this case, there are loads).

issue 1: you allowed him space for easter fine; but your reaction shouldn't have been: "why cant you see me"? he's just ****ing said so. he's doing coursework. you should've said: "so when are you free instead". you're not a child, acting like one in a relationship won't get you anywhere.
2: he reacted because it feels like you're being his mum about the event. instead you should've just asked how his night was.
3: first thing you said: 'you've done this before'. bad response: implies that he isn't at all the model bf he'd thought. implies that somewhere he'd ****ed up (even though it mightn't have happened) and You hadnt forgiven him (which makes it all the worse). second thing you said: 'asking if there was anyone else'. terrible response (because you should trust him. implies you never did and in a relationship, implies there never was a relationship). third thing: 'yeah you think you're all that'. implies his ego is the size of the sun.
honestly, this is all brought on by you. if you could for one second, control your reaction towards him and try to think of how he'd take it; then there isn't an issue here and he'd still be with you.
4: 'was said out of anger' < still said. whether out of anger or not, the damage is done. you can't be losing your **** then asking why you're getting the reaction you are.
5: it's not really silly to throw it away when you two don't vibe. relatinoships happen and stop. such is life.

i laugh at those who say he's a manipulative dick when all he's doing is reacting to what you're doing. you're the stimuli in this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by theDanIdentity
ignore the above; they all reply with a narcistic tendency; your bf isn't built around your life and relationship and shouldn't be expected to take all the negativities of the relationship; he isn't a shield for the relationships' bad events/your lashing out (which in this case, there are loads).

issue 1: you allowed him space for easter fine; but your reaction shouldn't have been: "why cant you see me"? he's just ****ing said so. he's doing coursework. you should've said: "so when are you free instead". you're not a child, acting like one in a relationship won't get you anywhere.
2: he reacted because it feels like you're being his mum about the event. instead you should've just asked how his night was.
3: first thing you said: 'you've done this before'. bad response: implies that he isn't at all the model bf he'd thought. implies that somewhere he'd ****ed up (even though it mightn't have happened) and You hadnt forgiven him (which makes it all the worse). second thing you said: 'asking if there was anyone else'. terrible response (because you should trust him. implies you never did and in a relationship, implies there never was a relationship). third thing: 'yeah you think you're all that'. implies his ego is the size of the sun.
honestly, this is all brought on by you. if you could for one second, control your reaction towards him and try to think of how he'd take it; then there isn't an issue here and he'd still be with you.
4: 'was said out of anger' < still said. whether out of anger or not, the damage is done. you can't be losing your **** then asking why you're getting the reaction you are.
5: it's not really silly to throw it away when you two don't vibe. relatinoships happen and stop. such is life.

i laugh at those who say he's a manipulative dick when all he's doing is reacting to what you're doing. you're the stimuli in this.

I reacted cuz he had just broke up with me, I could have said a lot worse. I was hurt because he did this out of the blue. If he wanted to be with me he wouldn't broken up, I'm just wondering if he will regret it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by theDanIdentity

I actually laughed at this response.

please tell me what was narcissistic about my response?

So he's not in any wrong no? It's all her fault because of her reactions to things that HE did????? Are you actually f*cking deluded????

She has reason to question why he is doing someone else's coursework. And his very mature response is not not speak to her for 2 days? Are you actually sitting there and saying that's justified?

'control your reaction towards him...think about how he will take it' :| Why should she have to tread on egg shells around this **** so his feelings don't get hurt? What about the way she feels? He broke up with her, her response was more than reasonable.

You must be a right ray of sunshine in a relationship.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tilray
I actually laughed at this response.

please tell me what was narcissistic about my response?

So he's not in any wrong no? It's all her fault because of her reactions to things that HE did????? Are you actually f*cking deluded????

She has reason to question why he is doing someone else's coursework. And his very mature response is not not speak to her for 2 days? Are you actually sitting there and saying that's justified?

'control your reaction towards him...think about how he will take it' :| Why should she have to tread on egg shells around this **** so his feelings don't get hurt? What about the way she feels? He broke up with her, her response was more than reasonable.

You must be a right ray of sunshine in a relationship.

Thank you! He literally just blamed me for absolutely everything! Made me feel even worse thinking yet again that it is me that is wrong. I've had to tread around eggshells with my ex for a while now incase he falls out with me and ignores me!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Noo you're not being harsh you're being helpful. I'm very understanding with him I never go mad if he plans another trip with his friends or doesn't contact me on a night out...but he doesn't go out often. I obviously get upset but I found if I said something that annoyed him he would just go mad and ignore me! I feel like he has anger problems. He never used to be like that with me, the first 2.5 years he was sweet and lovely.
Even up until the day before he did this, he would say he loves me! And I don't drive he would give me lifts and do anything for me really... I feel like this has come out of the blue. I don't know if he is regretting it? But he doesn't care that I'm upset because he hasn't even asked how I am :frown:

That's fair enough but if he's not willing to sit down with you and try and work out your issues then it says a lot about the way he feels. His solution is to dump you and try and remove some of the blame from himself and project it onto you...

I understand it's hard coming out of a long relationship, i've been there. All you can do is stay strong and get on with your life. I'd say just leave it for now, and let the high emotion of it die down a bit so you can both think clearly about what you want :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you! He literally just blamed me for absolutely everything! Made me feel even worse thinking yet again that it is me that is wrong. I've had to tread around eggshells with my ex for a while now incase he falls out with me and ignores me!

You're welcome hun. His response just irritated me, it's the exact same attitude as 'it's not my fault I hit her, she made me angry'. Everyone has control over the way they respond to situations and his was unjustified.

Don't ever feel like you have to walk on egg shells around people! You're better than that. *hugs*
Original post by tilray
That's fair enough but if he's not willing to sit down with you and try and work out your issues then it says a lot about the way he feels. His solution is to dump you and try and remove some of the blame from himself and project it onto you...

I understand it's hard coming out of a long relationship, i've been there. All you can do is stay strong and get on with your life. I'd say just leave it for now, and let the high emotion of it die down a bit so you can both think clearly about what you want :smile:

Yeah, I don't understand why he didnt even want to try and salvage it. For me, I don't mind his lifestyle of going away with his mates and business trips but I always felt a bit left out, like he wasn't bothered if we went on holiday or not. I know he wanted to but this year he wasn't looking with me he said I should pick and he gave me a price limit. He's on a good wage and he never took me anywhere even for s weekend, his mum would always pay. That's another thing I'll miss his mum and his sister and her two kids, it's like losing a whole family.

Yeah I'll leave it for now. It's horrible because I feel like it's still up in the air because it wasn't finalised, he stormed out. :frown: im
Really hoping if we don't get back together soon, then time apart will do us good.

I'm really worrying about him getting a new girlfriend d. Before me, he had girlfriends every year since he was 16, they only lasted a few months to a year. Whereas with me it was 4 years, we went on lots of trips and holidays. I just feel like we get on amazingly well, but he needs to speak to me better if he wants to get me back. He might not, this might be it forever but I really cannot process it. Xx thanks for helping me :smile: girl power instead of sexist idiots blaming me! X
Original post by darkvibes
pretty silly title, if you broke up obviously you wont be talking

Why are you wasting your time commenting stupid responses like this? That's not obvious and it's not necessarily true. What I meant was I haven't heard from him since, regarding my stuff etc etc...
Sounds like a dick. The fact that he broke up with you is your chance. Run and don't look back. Good riddens wow.

I'm going to be straight up with you, anon.

He's broken up with you - that means it is over. He is no longer your boyfriend.
And in all honesty, it sounds like it's better off that way. You both sound very immature in this relationship and like you have a lot of growing up to do. Being in a long term relationship at 22 and 23 is always difficult, and it sounds to me as if he really doesn't want to be in the relationship. People do change from 18-22, and it's possible he's just not interested anymore. He's been ignoring you, not hanging out with you and - most of all - he broke up with you. You need to take that as a (quite obvious) sign that he no longer wishes to be in a relationship with you anymore.

I'm sorry that it sounds harsh, but the sooner you realise he doesn't want to be with you, the sooner you can move on with your life.
So. Old lady here! I was with a guy for years, we were engaged, paid a deposit for our wedding, set a date. Then I realised I didn't love him and I had to end it and it was awful. He hadn't done anything wrong, there was nobody else on my part, no cheating etc, things literally had just changed. I wasn't excited by the relationship, I was just bored and couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life like that. After he moved out we didn't speak for a while, but eventually we did and we're still very close. He actually messaged me a few weeks back and was so nice that I almost cried, one of my friends declared he must still be in love with me (immature, younger friend), and I had to give new bae an explanation about why I didn't marry him because "he's so nice!" so yeah. I can believe things have just changed in his eyes and that's why it's over.

Second part, the way you handled it. I understand that you're upset, but the thing that really irked me was you saying to him "what you gonna do, hit me?" which, unless he's actually done that (in which case you're better off without him) is a nasty thing to say to someone. Perhaps it's because I'm viewing it as a victim of domestic abuse, but it is both a horrible sort of accusation and a very immature and inflammatory response that almost sounds like you're daring him. It's possible that he will come round and forgive you for what you said, but you handled things badly and if I had a break up like that, I would have no intentions of talking to the person any time soon. Even without what you said, space after a break up is an important thing. As for your things, I'd message him and ask calmly if you could get them back or maybe even get a mutual friend to collect them, you have every right to get your things back but there's no point having an argument or anything.

i've said this many times before.... but

he's not your boyfriend anymore right?

if you think you can still save this you may be wrong, yes it's silly to spend 4 years then break up but if he does'nt what are you gonna do about it? try and get back with him? no that probably won't work
He isnt happy and he hasnt been for a long time. Imo give him some space and let him get on with it. Your relayionship if there is one left has been on the decline as far as he is concerned. Bu all means talk to him in a month or two, but dont o chasing soemthing that may have been dead a long time ago. For now let him decide what he wants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending