The Student Room Group

Getting ahead for Maths HL

Guys, I am considering taking Maths HL next year, and I was wondering If It would actually be useful to try get ahead during the summer.

So do you guys think watching khan academy videos (and doing the exercises) and/or looking over the syllabus would help? Or of course not just khan academy, maybe other sites too. Have you got any other advices/tips on how I could get a little headstart and familiarize myself with the course?

Thanks.
Original post by asd.987
Guys, I am considering taking Maths HL next year, and I was wondering If It would actually be useful to try get ahead during the summer.

Definitely.

If you have the text book, try solving a few questions after watching Khan academy videos. I recommend making notes of the key formulas that are not present in the formula booklet.

Also, which topics do you think you want to start with? I would recommend you attack the functions and equations section as it is probably one of the first topics you will learn when you resume school.

Jai
Original post by jaichandak
Definitely.

If you have the text book, try solving a few questions after watching Khan academy videos. I recommend making notes of the key formulas that are not present in the formula booklet.

Also, which topics do you think you want to start with? I would recommend you attack the functions and equations section as it is probably one of the first topics you will learn when you resume school.

Jai

Thanks for the reply! I'm not actually sure about what topics I'll be looking at, I'm not all too familiar with the syllabus just yet. However, I found this website that had videos grouped into the sections, I believe, and I was thinking of watching maybe one a day over the summer. Unfortunately, I do not have the Maths HL textbook, but I think that khan academy does give exercises that are related to the topic of the video, and I'm sure I will come across free worksheets online.

Do you have any tips on how I should approach this? As in should I just watch/learn/go over the topics in the order that they are in the syllabus, or are there easy topics and hard topics that you have some advice on. Thanks so much. Also, I assume you are taking Maths HL - so how are you finding it?
I think what you planned out for summer should be fine but do remember to practice a few questions after watching the videos.I think it would be better to start with the easier topics first (Functions, Quadratics, Polynomials) and make sure that u are familiar with them, even if takes the entire summer.Tbh I don't find HL maths bad at all. Practice IB style questions every week once school commences and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending