The Student Room Group

How to get an A in Higher Chemistry

Aghhh!
Need an A in Higher Chemistry but I'm struggling. I do well in class and understand everything (definitely not a hot shot but I pay attention and get it right) but when it comes to tests I am just doing badly.
Well not badly, but considering the A I want, my Cs aren't cutting it.
Anyone have revision tips and so forth?
I attend Chemistry clinic and work through problems with my teacher and I do revise quite a bit for my tests although I don't do many past papers.
Help :frown:((
Also any people that can help me to get through the problem solving questions in Chemistry? It's like I face a brick wall with them.
:s-smilie::frown::confused::argh::ashamed2::banghead:
Reply 1
Original post by MaiBr13
Aghhh!
Need an A in Higher Chemistry but I'm struggling. I do well in class and understand everything (definitely not a hot shot but I pay attention and get it right) but when it comes to tests I am just doing badly.
Well not badly, but considering the A I want, my Cs aren't cutting it.
Anyone have revision tips and so forth?
I attend Chemistry clinic and work through problems with my teacher and I do revise quite a bit for my tests although I don't do many past papers.
Help :frown:((
Also any people that can help me to get through the problem solving questions in Chemistry? It's like I face a brick wall with them.
:s-smilie::frown::confused::argh::ashamed2::banghead:

"although I don't do many past papers"-There's your problem

Understanding everything in class is great, but in the end you are going to sit the exam so its better to get used to the type of questions that SQA asks you by doing many past papers. Maybe start a few now, get used to the format and understand the questions (as well as the answers) and then do more revision. Nearer to the exams do as much past papers as you can and you should do fine :biggrin:
i got A*, thats the only one i got a* in, just do past papers bro
Original post by money-for-all
i got A*, thats the only one i got a* in, just do past papers bro

Can't get an A* in a Scottish Higher m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is your maths?
There are quite a lot of calculations in chemistry(Problem Solving), they are not hard calculations but if you don't have good numeracy basis then you might struggle.
Yeah past paper is the answer. Especially multiple choice questions!
Past papers bro
Reply 6
Original post by MaiBr13
Maths I'm not great at but my teacher says the calculations are the bits I'm doing the best at. It's ones that are more problem solving-y I'm struggling with, but thanks I'll definitely focus on past papers and keep working on my maths

Do learn conversion factors, you can apply it to almost any chemistry calculation if used correctly, and saves you from being confused with all the maths involved.
Reply 7
Buy a bright red textbook for new higher chem. It helped me last year. Also, sharpen up your data handling skills.
Reply 8
Original post by MaiBr13
I will definitely, thanks :smile:
Do you know the name of that textbook by any chance?

No problem - here is the link: http://www.brightredpublishing.co.uk/Shop/cfe-higher-chemistry
You can also buy it fromWaterstones.
Reply 9
Original post by MaiBr13
Okay bought this book and it's great.. You're a lifesaver! Understand everything so much better now.

Glad to help :biggrin:
Also remember, past papers are key as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending