The Student Room Group

Attn Muslims: Do you shake hands with the females

Poll

Do you shake hands with the ladies

After watching a 5 minute video of what I presume is an Islamic scholar, following is what I concluded:

i) - Shaking hands with a female is haram
ii) - Drinking water with the left hand is haram

Though I worded the thread poorly, I would encourage the muslim ladies of TSR to participate as well :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm guessing the answer is no.
Not Muslim here.
I did not that.
I hope this is not true
Reply 4
Why does it concern you with what hand we eat/drink...?
(edited 8 years ago)
it is haram, unless it's your immediate family
I did not know it is forbidden. Oh well, I don't see the harm in it and would rather go ahead rather than make them feel like they're too insignificant to shake my hand.
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
I did not know it is forbidden. Oh well, I don't see the harm in it and would rather go ahead rather than make them feel like they're too insignificant to shake my hand.

As a girl, I'd be a bit frustrated because I've always felt that religious rules banning such innocent contact with between the sexes are outdated and rooted in misogyny, but I think if someone said it was for religious reasons, I'd be okay with it. I judge the rule, not the person who follows it, so long as they're not following a rule that truly hurts others (that goes for any religion or set of beliefs).
I shake hands with anyone who offers it because I don't want to make conversation awkward
Original post by HAnwar
Why does it concern you with what hand we eat/drink...?

funny how you feel so insecure (?) with a question on the internet ^_*

Original post by TreeFellOnMe

So offer a hand with a chance that it may be declined? :biggrin:

Idk if that ever happened to me I would feel so awkward might as well never extend my hand.
I remember being told when I was younger that I shouldn't shake hands with a male even if it was for something necessary such as a job/uni interview.
Imo, that's a little ridiculous.
1) It looks awkward keeping your hands by your side. Cue the awkward silence...or would any of you actually say "sorry, I can't shake your hand"?
2) It doesn't give a very good jmpression especially if they decided to offer you a job/place.
:dontknow:
No, girls are smelly.
Original post by Mochassassin
I remember being told when I was younger that I shouldn't shake hands with a male even if it was for something necessary such as a job/uni interview.
Imo, that's a little ridiculous.
1) It looks awkward keeping your hands by your side. Cue the awkward silence...or would any of you actually say "sorry, I can't shake your hand"?
2) It doesn't give a very good jmpression especially if they decided to offer you a job/place.
:dontknow:

This actually happened to me at my interview for one of my unis. I tried to shake hands with my interviewer but she awkwardly ignored it.

Most awkward start ever.
I shake hands if they initiate it.
wait people actually cannot shake hands with the opposite sex because of their religion(?)

guys, I'm sure you're faith is great, and I honestly mean that, but isn't that kind of excessive?
Original post by TaintedLight
After watching a 5 minute video of what I presume is an Islamic scholar, following is what I concluded:

i) - Shaking hands with a female is haram
ii) - Drinking water with the left hand is haram
# - If you do the above, you're influenced by the devil

Though I worded the thread poorly, I would encourage the muslim ladies of TSR to participate as well :biggrin:

I am a lady, so it's not haram. XD

Drinking water/ eating food with left hand id disliked. Not forbidden.
But yeah, for a woman, touching a non-mahram is haram.
I do shake hands with males when its necessary.. other than that guys usually get a "hi" and a wave from me in uni.
Unless theyre the guy whose been in my lectures this year and needs to constantly hug me each time i leave :facepalm::ninja:
I donr mind but i should :cry2: 😍
It's haraam to have any sort of skin contact with someone from the opposite gender who isn't your close relative. It allows Shaytaan to tempt you to have thoughts which could result in you commiting a much major sin further down the line such as fornication or adultery. Therefore as a precaution all Muslims should not allow this to happen even though it may be common in the west but this can be said for most things like music and drinking.
I just shake hands anyway :lol:
Original post by beggersbelief
allah is pathetic

Come on. You can troll better than that, that's just lazy :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest