The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7680
Original post by Manchester United
(Follow up post in Liverpool thread):

tl;dr: I'm a winner, I don't care about making up the numbers and 'taking part is all that counts' - that's bs to satisfy the losers (like Arsenal). In the history books, you either won the competition/league or you didn't. We should be doing everything to maximise our opportunity of title/cup success and that starts with the FA Cup and proceeds with the league next year.

You need to be in it to win it.

Leicester got promoted 2 seasons ago and they're now on the brink of winning the premier league title. Your logic is that they should have stayed in the championship.
Chelsea after a 2 year hiatus in the CL ended up in the semi finals the very next season.
Atlético after a 2 year hiatus in the CL ended up a min away from winning the competition the next season.
Dortmund in the space of a year went from coming 4th in their CL group to getting to the final.

You would not have expected any of these situations happening but it happened due to good management and good player recruitment. You would not argue any of these 4 situations are a case of 'making up the numbers' and with good management, a lot of these teams can become to that level. I believe that a lot of teams are capable of winning the CL with good management. There are no teams that are ridiculously stronger than the others that on a bad day they'll always win.

If they took the mentality that you are saying then they'd be busy just hoping they don't do well so that whenever they buy a good team they will hopefully win the competition. It doesn't work like that.
ahhhhhhhhhhhh

we use to be the comeback kings whyyy

if liverpool win europa and get champions league place we are fukked
that 6 european titles
fuk we neeeeed a better manager
Original post by Dirtybit
Couldn't give a flying fluck if we won the FA cup and missed out on CL.

You're a fan but couldn't care less if your club won it's first silverware in three seasons, right...
this is our best chance to win an fa cup :biggrin::biggrin: as for the manager change looks like the media is just as clueless as we are once we loose they say jose is coming once we win they say lvg is coming or gigs is going to be it :facepalm:
Original post by Manchester United
(Follow up post in Liverpool thread):

To be fair, we are in a very different situation to yourselves, so perhaps my opinion is very bias to the point of view of Manchester United. I guess you guys need the CL to draw players and produce revenue; essentially you need to ignite the waking of the sleeping giant.

Whereas we will attract top players for the next 5 years and still produce ridiculous revenue figures regardless of whether we qualify for CL. Therefore for Manchester United, if we have no chance of winning the CL, I would just rather focus on winning the Premiership which is a very realistic aim. It's clear how Leicester are benefiting from no European fixtures. Our squad isn't big enough to deal with the demands of Europe too.

Is that loser mentality? Or is it considering realistic targets and altering priorities accordingly to achieve the best outcome, potentially a league title because we can put all our eggs in that basket rather than spreading our squad too thin on competitions we have no chance of winning.

----

If our squad was capable of fighting on all fronts I would be all for the extra European fixtures, but when we have to rely on 19 year old's, play CAM's and strikers on the wing because we don't have anyone else, I'm not sure extra fixtures is really what we need.

Our most realistic target should be to win the FA Cup this season and challenge for the league next season. We will not be winning the CL for some time, so Premiership has to take priority.

It would be interesting to gather other peoples opinions on this. I think it comes down to your mindset; pragmatism vs hope, of course in an ideal world we would just get Lukaku, Ibra, Griezmann, Stones, Mahrez and Payet in the summer so squad depth isn't a problem.

tl;dr: I'm a winner, I don't care about making up the numbers and 'taking part is all that counts' - that's bs to satisfy the losers (like Arsenal). In the history books, you either won the competition/league or you didn't. We should be doing everything to maximise our opportunity of title/cup success and that starts with the FA Cup and proceeds with the league next year.

Fair enough, I guess at this point int time United need to win some sort of silverware regardless of what it is to reignite the club from the last few seasons of mediocrity. Yeah, like you've said your revenues are just something else altogether but with Liverpool we desperately need that extra revenue and allure to attract the top players. I suppose if you guys don't get Europe you may be able to enjoy a season similar to the one Liverpool had in 13/14. However, there's no reason why United wouldn't able to progress far in the CL, with the right management and player recruitment you just don't know. As on a good day anyone can beat anyone (see Liverpool's game last night). It's not always about quality of the players but rather willpower, grit and determination from the team that gets you over the line (i.e. Istanbul).

Also, if you lot won the FA Cup this season would LVG still stay? Or are you guys getting in Mourinho/another manager? I haven't really been following United lately.
Original post by The.Joker

Also, if you lot won the FA Cup this season would LVG still stay? Or are you guys getting in Mourinho/another manager? I haven't really been following United lately.

Regardless of an FA Cup win he's gone.

We aren't Arsenal FC
Regardless of an FA Cup win he's gone.

We aren't Arsenal FC

I'm surprised you guys haven't sacked him earlier in the season tbh.
Louis van Gaal: "We are in the race for the first four positions in the league and still in the FA Cup, so I'm very happy about that."

Very happy? Ffs
Louis van Gaal: "We are in the race for the first four positions in the league and still in the FA Cup, so I'm very happy about that."

Very happy? Ffs

I think he's just happy that he went out of the EL to Liverpool because it saved him the embarrassment of a Dortmund thrashing :wink:

Inb4 Difeo comes in saying you would've won over 2 legs :colonhash:
imagine thinking Martial and GOATford wouldn't run rings around Hummels
Fergie said he was worried by Klopp's appointment at Liverpool and judging from yesterday's comeback and the way they are set up to, potentially, win the EL and grab a CL place which would give them extra pulling power plus Klopp's magnetism to lure a higher quality of player, they could do well next season and with Pep/Conte etc, it'd be demoralising having LVG in charge. I think and I hope the reason why he's so pushing the FA Cup as a title is because it'd be HIS title. His title he can give to the club and then say - if top four wasn't achieved - I will go and they'll come to an agreement. But if top four was achieved, really feel Ed would keep him.
Original post by Aky786UK
Fergie said he was worried by Klopp's appointment at Liverpool and judging from yesterday's comeback and the way they are set up to, potentially, win the EL and grab a CL place which would give them extra pulling power plus Klopp's magnetism to lure a higher quality of player, they could do well next season and with Pep/Conte etc, it'd be demoralising having LVG in charge. I think and I hope the reason why he's so pushing the FA Cup as a title is because it'd be HIS title. His title he can give to the club and then say - if top four wasn't achieved - I will go and they'll come to an agreement. But if top four was achieved, really feel Ed would keep him.

Wouldn't really worry about either one of them tbh, as much as it hurts me to say this is citys time now, United are dead, Liverpool and Chelsea won't have enough to keep up with City when Pep comes in, especially if they win the champs league this season I could see them going on to win it next season as well. The pulling power City will have in the next few years will be unbelievable, no-one in England will be anywhere near them in a couple of seasons time.
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
I read that Jose going to PSG :redface: Imagine being stuck with souless LVG football for another year, followed by Giggs trying to be manager eeeekkk!

I actually think we have a good chance of winning the FA cup if we play well as we dont have to play any more "big" teams in London which is what we seem to be bad at atm.

Also does anyone actually know what position TFM is actually meant to play?

Not happening, same as Guardiola and City, worst kept secret in football. Glazers MAY try and keep LVG but they'll cave. Jose definitely wants the United job, (if for no other reason to spite Guardiola, Wenger and Chelsea)

He's bought a house in Cheshire already.
Just imagine we had Klopp *sigh*
Reply 7694
Original post by Harvey.Specter
Just imagine we had Klopp *sigh*

jose>klopp
Already said this before but when Klopp buys who he wants Liverpool will rise and become a powerhouse with the likes of City. Klopp will/can bring players like Gotze/Reus/Gundogan to Liverpool.

As for us well it looks like LVG is staying for another season and sadly that officially marks the death of this club. We were lucky to even beat West Ham... that goal wasn't even offside :indiff:

Watch us lose to Aston Villa tomorrow when they have lost pretty much most their games this season :lol:
Original post by trapking

As for us well it looks like LVG is staying for another season and sadly that officially marks the death of this club.

Based on what exactly?
Based on what exactly?

...well I watched an interview with Mourinho on SkySports few days ago and he said he had no contact/contracts signed with any club at this moment in time and is still jobless! He's still "looking at opportunities".

If he was coming to Utd then surely we would have already made some sort of deal and he would have given a different "in-direct" answer in his interview but he didn't...
Original post by trapking
...well I watched an interview with Mourinho on SkySports few days ago and he said he had no contact/contracts signed with any club at this moment in time and is still jobless! He's still "looking at opportunities".

If he was coming to Utd then surely we would have already made some sort of deal and he would have given a different "in-direct" answer in his interview but he didn't...

He also said he is going to be in the Premier League. Which top 6 team needs him?

Yeah of course he hasn't signed a contract with us yet as LVG is still here and he is obviously still jobless right now. He has most likely signed a pre-contract but he can't sign any formal contract yet unless LVG has been sacked. He's also not going to go on air and say he has signed an informal pre-agreement with us because nothing is certain even with that.
He also said he is going to be in the Premier League. Which top 6 team needs him?

Yeah of course he hasn't signed a contract with us yet as LVG is still here and he is obviously still jobless right now. He has most likely signed a pre-contract but he can't sign any formal contract yet unless LVG has been sacked. He's also not going to go on air and say he has signed an informal pre-agreement with us because nothing is certain even with that.

Haha I like your confidence! I pray your predictions are right and that he's coming to Utd (we need him more than ever to sort us out big time). We have had far too much mediocrity for too long and need to start being great again :biggrin:

Another season with LVG is more than torture....don't even think we can win the FA cup :rofl:

Latest