The Student Room Group

Nursing with a conviction on DBS

My DBS has come back with a conviction that explains I was arrested nearly two years ago, for being drunk and disorderly. The university offered me a conditional offer for nursing, however I did not know this would be on my DBS, I never even went to court, or heard anything since I replied with a letter to admit and explain the incident. My DBS states the incident under convictions, and then next to it, it says ''admonished''. The DBS was for a new job, so I told the university and declared and they thanked me for my honesty. Now I am extremely worried and devastated. I explained the incident and told them I do not usually drink and this was a one off mistake. Please can anyone offer advice? Has anyone been in this situation and still got in to nursing? I would be devastated if this stops me entering
Original post by student12112
My DBS has come back with a conviction that explains I was arrested nearly two years ago, for being drunk and disorderly. The university offered me a conditional offer for nursing, however I did not know this would be on my DBS, I never even went to court, or heard anything since I replied with a letter to admit and explain the incident. My DBS states the incident under convictions, and then next to it, it says ''admonished''. The DBS was for a new job, so I told the university and declared and they thanked me for my honesty. Now I am extremely worried and devastated. I explained the incident and told them I do not usually drink and this was a one off mistake. Please can anyone offer advice? Has anyone been in this situation and still got in to nursing? I would be devastated if this stops me entering

I've known people with that sort of conviction go to fitness to practice panels and be allowed on the course, however they were convicted over ten years ago and two might be considered a bit recent, its all up to your unis panel really.
Original post by claireestelle
I've known people with that sort of conviction go to fitness to practice panels and be allowed on the course, however they were convicted over ten years ago and two might be considered a bit recent, its all up to your unis panel really.

Thanks for your reply. I hope they can understand. It was my only time in trouble with the law and I currently work in a hospital, looking after people so that surely reflects the incident hasn't affected my caring side and was a mistake. I don't even understand why it says conviction, I never went to court or heard anything after it
Thanks for your reply. I hope they can understand. It was my only time in trouble with the law and I currently work in a hospital, looking after people so that surely reflects the incident hasn't affected my caring side and was a mistake. I don't even understand why it says conviction, I never went to court or heard anything after it

Were you given a caution or something along those lines for it?
Original post by claireestelle
Were you given a caution or something along those lines for it?

No, was arrested, released after 7 hours. Got my DBS back, says convictions then what happened, then admonished. Admonished means no punishment resulted from the incident. Still quite confused with it all
Reply 5
Did you declare it on the form? if not they probably thought you were hiding information.
No, was arrested, released after 7 hours. Got my DBS back, says convictions then what happened, then admonished. Admonished means no punishment resulted from the incident. Still quite confused with it all

I believe any criminal activity can show up on an enhanced dbs if it was recent, i think you'll just have to see how a panel goes.
Original post by chikane
Did you declare it on the form? if not they probably thought you were hiding information.

They hadn't started my DBS with me, it wasn't until it came back from my new employers yesterday. So I rang the Uni and told them and they said thanks for being honest, because it would have came up in September, when I am due to begin. So I wrote them a letter explaining the incident and waiting to hear back now
Reply 8
They hadn't started my DBS with me, it wasn't until it came back from my new employers yesterday. So I rang the Uni and told them and they said thanks for being honest, because it would have came up in September, when I am due to begin. So I wrote them a letter explaining the incident and waiting to hear back now

Thats good you found out now and they appreciated your honesty as long as you learnt from your mistake and have matured you should not have any trouble getting onto the course.
Original post by chikane
Thats good you found out now and they appreciated your honesty as long as you learnt from your mistake and have matured you should not have any trouble getting onto the course.

Thanks I really hope so. I explained the circumstances, as I was lost and had actually been mugged, so when the police approached me I was making a scene, so got arrested, if I wasn't lost and separated from my friends, and bag stolen, it probably would have never happened. Just need to hope they understand that

1. You will be fine. look at the forums and this is reasonably common.
2. Its not a serious offence related to violence, dishonesty or sex.
3. If it says admonished, presumably you are Scottish and it equates to a verbal warning, but no fine or imprisonment. Still on your record though. It would have shown up anyway and i think you have to decalre convictions on your UCAS form.
Least they know. Enhanced records show everything.

It wont cause you a problem, don' worry you did the right things. If you want to look at drunk and disorderly then go down the bars on freshers niights.
Original post by 999tigger
1. You will be fine. look at the forums and this is reasonably common.
2. Its not a serious offence related to violence, dishonesty or sex.
3. If it says admonished, presumably you are Scottish and it equates to a verbal warning, but no fine or imprisonment. Still on your record though. It would have shown up anyway and i think you have to decalre convictions on your UCAS form.
Least they know. Enhanced records show everything.

It wont cause you a problem, don' worry you did the right things. If you want to look at drunk and disorderly then go down the bars on freshers niights.

Aw thank you, makes me feel a little better. Today I was walking around thinking, I am a criminal now! However the police officer told me, I don't have a conviction, I was charged and nothing came out of it. It does come under convictions though, I suppose I will have a panel, and will have to rectify it all and convince them it wont happen again

The Supreme Court has just changed the law (2019) and it came into effect in Nov 2020. It ordered the clearing of historical offences on DBS and enhanced DBS. Go to the Unlock website to check.

If your current DBS has offences on, apply for another and it will be clear. If employed already, your employer may ask you to pay for it as strictly you’re only doing it to get a ‘clean sheet’.
Thread closed due to age.

Latest

Trending

Trending