The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Won't that make it difficult to commute in your final year? Especially if you don't have your own car. :3

N'aw, I'll have my own car hopefully in a month or two. I'ma spend the summer getting used to driving. My instructor said he'll give me some motorway lessons so I can familiarise myself with the route to uni which is actually fairly simple! Just a long stretch of road and two joining motorways. Plus, its a countryside drive SO YAY TREES! Also, I don't have many contact hours a week so I'll be home most of the time! It's only really a hassle with trains because I'd have to get a train to Preston, change there, get to Lancaster town centre and THEN take a bus to campus which would cost a bomb!
Wish me luck. :eek:
Original post by Mochassassin
Wish me luck. :eek:

Good luck. :h: (And thanks for explaining.)
U wot m8? There are people out there who don't like kichuri? But...it's DAAL AND RICE TOGETHER MAKING MAGIC ON OUR TASTEBUDS. I don't..I...ugh. Time to get my assassinatin' on. :colonhash:

How do you keema-fy elish mach?! :redface:

:rofl: I know right! It horrifies me... and then I take their bowl too. :colonhash:

Ah, elish keema is great, you want to butterfly the fish, then squeeze out the flesh using the flat side of a spoon until the flesh and bones are completely separated. Then you can spice as you like. the taste is so great, you only need like an 4 to 1 rice keema ratio to get a great flavour and texture!

This is a channel I'll probably use to learn a few recipes too, if I can be bothered! I'm so bad when it comes to proactively cooking.

[video="youtube;DPD25tzgPhc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPD25tzgPhc[/video]
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Ah, elish keema is great, you want to butterfly the fish, then squeeze out the flesh using the flat side of a spoon until the flesh and bones are completely separated. Then you can spice as you like. the taste is so great, you only need like an 4 to 1 rice keema ratio to get a great flavour and texture!

This is a channel I'll probably use to learn a few recipes too, if I can be bothered! I'm so bad when it comes to proactively cooking.

[video="youtube;DPD25tzgPhc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPD25tzgPhc[/video]

Elish keema sounds SO GOOD! :coma:
Tbh, any kind of boneless fish dish is really good! I'll have to tell my mum about this one. :eek:
Do you like fish bortha? Or shutki bortha? I don't like the actual shutki when mum cooks it with eggplant (though it flavours the eggplant really well) but I loooove it in bortha. It's payday for diarrhea when extra-spicy shutki is eaten. :rofl:
ALSO, omg, tell me you like naga murich. The red one you get in a jar and eat with rice. :colonhash:
Yay, thank you! :hugs:

And sure! Post-exams, I'll be moving back home PERMANENTLY so there'll be plenty of South Asian tales to tell! :teehee:
I will post something about how my uni choice was bad (when looking at it from a desperate girl's p.o.v who is looking for rishtas) so keep a look out! :biggrin:

Oh your last year of uni, what you studying?

I shall be on a look out for that. :excited:
That avatar :sexface:

Spoiler

Original post by undercxver
Oh your last year of uni, what you studying?

I shall be on a look out for that. :excited:

Second year but I've had about 3(-ish) years of living away so I'm gonna commute for final year! I study English Lit! :biggrin:

Yay! If that post goes well, I'll consider doing a matrimonial site experiment to see what happens. :teehee:
Elish keema sounds SO GOOD! :coma:
Tbh, any kind of boneless fish dish is really good! I'll have to tell my mum about this one. :eek:
Do you like fish bortha? Or shutki bortha? I don't like the actual shutki when mum cooks it with eggplant (though it flavours the eggplant really well) but I loooove it in bortha. It's payday for diarrhea when extra-spicy shutki is eaten. :rofl:
ALSO, omg, tell me you like naga murich. The red one you get in a jar and eat with rice. :colonhash:

You should it's incredible. :sexface: (and yes that is an appropriate emoji in the context of elish keema...) :sexface:

Yep I love them both, had fish bortha for lunch with extra coriander :colone: I loooove shutki, when I tell me friends I'm a fan of dried fish carcass they all give me a really weird look and divert the conversation. :rofl:

I typically don't track what I'm eating when my Dad's at home because it's only one meal and he's home once a week so I had shutki bortha last Tuesday since he loves shutki in all forms :u:

Oooo I forgot about King Prawns with Naga and Spinach :colone: My Mums best dish don't know how I forgot :rofl:
Yeah I have Mr. Naga sometimes, mainly I have fresh naga, there's always one relative or another flying back from BD and my Dad goes there every few months on business so we get fresh naga and lemboo, my brothers a lightweight he keeps one next to the plate because the smell is enough heat for him :colonhash: I was never a big fan of heat but now I love it!
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Oooo I forgot about King Prawns with Naga and Spinach :colone: My Mums best dish don't know how I forgot :rofl:
Yeah I have Mr. Naga sometimes, mainly I have fresh naga, there's always one relative or another flying back from BD and my Dad goes there every few months on business so we get fresh naga and lemboo, my brothers a lightweight he keeps one next to the plate because the smell is enough heat for him :colonhash: I was never a big fan of heat but now I love it!

Wuuuut, I swear we are the same person?! My dad goes to Bangladesh every couple of months too! And he brings back my grandma's achar, pithas, lots and lots of eggplant/deshi limes, etc. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Mr Naga is just bae. :daydreaming:
Mocha's life blog has metamorphosed into a food blog. :awesome:
Original post by Hydeman
Mocha's life blog has metamorphosed into a food blog. :awesome:

Hahahaha, it really has! I just baked a bunch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and wanted to post about it...but this is not going to be a Bengali food blog, I swear. I'll post another time when I have something non-food related to talk about. :lol:
I just baked a bunch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and wanted to post about it...but this is not going to be a Bengali food blog, I swear. I'll post another time when I have something non-food related to talk about. :lol:

I changed my mind -- please post pictures of the cookies! :puppyeyes: The cookies, dammit! :fuhrer:
Original post by Hydeman
I changed my mind -- please post pictures of the cookies! :puppyeyes: The cookies, dammit! :fuhrer:

Okay, okay, fiiiiine, but I'm not blogging about it! Also, it's my first time baking proper cookies (as in, not a Betty Crocker mix) so no hate. I can cook, not bake. :hide:

20160415114033.jpg
Second year but I've had about 3(-ish) years of living away so I'm gonna commute for final year! I study English Lit! :biggrin:

Yay! If that post goes well, I'll consider doing a matrimonial site experiment to see what happens. :teehee:

Oooh nice. Talk about your experiences of living away from from too. Omg so many topics to dsicuss. :ahee:

That's cool, where do you see yourself in a couple of years career-wise?

LOOOOOOOL NOW THAT WILL BE HILARIOUS. :toofunny:
Original post by undercxver
Oooh nice. Talk about your experiences of living away from from too. Omg so many topics to dsicuss. :ahee:

That's cool, where do you see yourself in a couple of years career-wise?

LOOOOOOOL NOW THAT WILL BE HILARIOUS. :toofunny:

My experience living away has been mostly bad, haha. I'll leave it at that but I'll be sure to write something when I'm about to move out! Kind of like a 'goodbye' thing, haha. Wow, you're giving me so many post ideas, thank you! :ahee:

Oh gosh, pls don't ask me that - I have no idea! Absolutely none at all!

AND IKR?! My friend and I once made a fake one called 'SexOnLegs' and our account didn't get approved because the name is inappropriate. Still gave us a few hours to stalk some guys though - I'd avoid those sites like the plague if I were you. :rofl:
Rice and curry :sogood: I don't do fish curries though.. I know, I know. :ashamed:
My experience living away has been mostly bad, haha. I'll leave it at that but I'll be sure to write something when I'm about to move out! Kind of like a 'goodbye' thing, haha. Wow, you're giving me so many post ideas, thank you! :ahee:

Oh gosh, pls don't ask me that - I have no idea! Absolutely none at all!

AND IKR?! My friend and I once made a fake one called 'SexOnLegs' and our account didn't get approved because the name is inappropriate. Still gave us a few hours to stalk some guys though - I'd avoid those sites like the plague if I were you. :rofl:

Good teaser. :lol: That's fine, I'm intrigued to know more. :ahee:

Oppsss. Don't worry about it, not many people know what they want to be till after they graduate.

Wowwww :rofl: I'll stick to the typical Shaadi.com and find a Indian husband. :perv:
Original post by Black Rose
Rice and curry :sogood: I don't do fish curries though.. I know, I know. :ashamed:

It's okaaaay, the rare few don't do fish curries.
I only very rarely eat sea bass but only if ammu picks out the bones. Yes, I'm 21 and I still need mum to pick out the fish bones. :innocent:
Okay, okay, fiiiiine, but I'm not blogging about it! Also, it's my first time baking proper cookies (as in, not a Betty Crocker mix) so no hate. I can cook, not bake. :hide:

20160415114033.jpg

That's certainly better than my first attempt at cookies all the way back in year 8/9. :colone: Good work. Hope they were tasty. :drool:

I only very rarely eat sea bass but only if ammu picks out the bones. Yes, I'm 21 and I still need mum to pick out the fish bones. :innocent:

Wow... Time to re-evaluate you. :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
III
"How old are you now?"
"Old enough to get married, right?"
"Now that she's married, is it you next?"
"When's your wedding?"
"Have you started looking for suitable grooms yet?"
"Do you already have anyone in mind?"
"Are you finishing uni soon so you can get married?"
"Start taking notes from *insert name's* wedding, the decor is nice! Any ideas for yours?"
"Her dress is lovely, do you want to wear something like that at your wedding?"

Too many questions.
Too little time to evade them.
Too many fake smiles.
Too little immaturity to scowl.

Don't get me wrong - the wedding today was a beautiful event. My friend (the bride) looked absolutely stunning in a plum/white lehenga with a heavily-embellished train that followed her petite figure everywhere. The colour coordination of everything was just flawless. But aesthetics aside, it was an emotional rOlLeRcOaStEr. My mum was bawling her eyes out and clutching onto the bride like it was her own daughter she was giving away.

Maybe she did picture me in her place because here's the scary part:
I AM NEXT.
(I am not affiliated with Next PLC but wouldn't that make for an empowering ad campaign for a new clothing range? No? Okay. :getmecoat:)

The Bengali community where I live isn't big. All the eligible girls are now happily married. The younger girls have a good few years before they get pestered about this stuff. It's as annoying as it is scary because I'm so conflicted.

1) On the one hand, I'm not ready:
a) It's so comfortable being in the bubble of education just to evade this whole marriage business - masters/PhD gives me more time to think about what I want.
b) My issues with religion is something I haven't yet discussed with my parents.

2) On the other hand, I am ready because:
a) I'm sick of studying/essays/exams/lectures/seminars. I've hated university for a while now.
b) If I had the right guy in my life now (who also wanted to get married), I could see myself settling down and having children. I'm very mumsy.
Hey, I don't get motherzoned constantly for nothin'.
:u:

I know what you'll say...
"Do what makes you happy!", "it's your life!" bla bla bla, but both options have positive and negative outcomes.

Those questions up there were more suffocating than the horrendously tight collar on my sari blouse I wore on the henna night two nights earlier.
No, seriously, it was so tight, I grew a triple chin instantly. I should really make a .gif to show you guys the transformation. It's like those annoying weight loss ads you see on the side of webpages.
Note: if you're sat there reading this like "omg, I see those ads all the time!", it's time to edumacate yourself about browsers and download Adblocker.
:colonhash:

tl;dr; what was supposed to be an enjoyable, carefree day of focusing on someone else's holy matrimony ended up being a ticking time bomb of me counting down the seconds until I went home.

*cue Ben Howard's 'The Fear' for a bit of dramatic flair because the lyrics are supposed to be encouraging and resolve my inner turmoil...and also because it's a great song.*

Spoiler

Apologies for the late reply :lol:

I think may help to discuss all of these issues with your parents :yes: Pressure isn't good for anyone.

Are they particularly strict or would they be willing to compromise? :redface: