The Student Room Group

Should I leave Hull for Leicester?

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

@tinyflame

What's making you think you should move to Leicester if you like Hull so much? :beard:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
@tinyflame

What's making you think you should move to Leicester if you like Hull so much? :beard:

I feel tat Leicester is a higher quality university and has a higher rank.
I feel that I "should" base my decision on those two factors, but I think the Hull campus and its surroundings are much more beautiful than Leicester's?

But I feel that it might be stupid to base my decision on aesthetics of the university and its surrounding area?
Making decisions based on hypotheses ("it could be better") is usually a bad idea. There isn't that much between Hull and Leicester. Stay where you are happy.
Original post by tinyflame
I feel tat Leicester is a higher quality university and has a higher rank.
I feel that I "should" base my decision on those two factors, but I think the Hull campus and its surroundings are much more beautiful than Leicester's?

But I feel that it might be stupid to base my decision on aesthetics of the university and its surrounding area?

Honestly I think if you are happy at Hull and are enjoying the teaching there then you should stay :h: I wouldn't worry too much about university rankings - it's much more important to pick somewhere that you are happy with and will do well in the course. Is your foundation year at the uni and will you be staying with the same lecturers etc. if you decide to stay on....?

What course are you doing? :h:
Reply 5
Honestly I think if you are happy at Hull and are enjoying the teaching there then you should stay :h: I wouldn't worry too much about university rankings - it's much more important to pick somewhere that you are happy with and will do well in the course. Is your foundation year at the uni and will you be staying with the same lecturers etc. if you decide to stay on....?

What course are you doing? :h:

I think I will have different lecturers next year, I honestly don't really pay much attention to the teaching quality. And it has been alright, and with foundation year I don't think we got the super enthusiastic teachers compared to next year.. Yeah I'm doing a foundation year at Hull this year and it's almost finished.

I am so worried that all my other five ucas choices will finish their decision making, at which point I would need to make a firm and insurance choice. I thought about transferring next year instead of this year, but I am scared that it would be harder to do with less chance of success?

I feel that right now is the perfect opportunity to transfer if I could, and I am scared of not taking the opportunity and regretting it next year? On one hand I could transfer and start from first year at leicester again after next year, but that would mean I would lose one year of student finance. Or I transfer straight into second year at leicester, but the disadvantage is that I would not be a fresher there and would have to settle in from the second year which might be problematic.

I honestly don't know because I feel that Hull has a low reputation and is basically a university where most clearing students go to, but from my time here I have started to love the university and its surroundings.

But the thing is, that these surroundings are generally close to university, I don't know how I feel about staying put in one small area for the next 4 years. That's one aspect I like about Leicester in that it's a nicer city and there's more to see.

But I am so worried about basing my choice on looks :frown:
th thing is the Hull campus is nice, open and green, while the Leicester campus feels like a concrete jungle and is in front of a massive cemetery. It's not that the surrounding areas of Leicester are ugly, in fact there is a nice park called the Oval which was just so beautiful to walk in. But I don't know, overall I like Hull more aesthetically

Can I send you the google maps or pictures of both unis so you can se why I'm worried?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think I will have different lecturers next year, I honestly don't really pay much attention to the teaching quality. And it has been alright, and with foundation year I don't think we got the super enthusiastic teachers compared to next year.. Yeah I'm doing a foundation year at Hull this year and it's almost finished.

I am so worried that all my other five ucas choices will finish their decision making, at which point I would need to make a firm and insurance choice. I thought about transferring next year instead of this year, but I am scared that it would be harder to do with less chance of success?

I feel that right now is the perfect opportunity to transfer if I could, and I am scared of not taking the opportunity and regretting it next year?

I honestly don't know because I feel that Hull has a low reputation and is basically a university where most clearing students go to, but from my time here I have started to love the university and its surroundings.

But the thing is, that these surroundings are generally close to university, I don't know how I feel about staying put in one small area for the next 4 years. That's one aspect I like about Leicester in that it's a nicer city and there's more to see.

But I am so worried about basing my choice on looks :frown:
th thing is the Hull campus is nice, open and green, while the Leicester campus feels like a concrete jungle and is in front of a massive cemetery.

Can I send you the google maps or pictures of both unis so you can se why I'm worried?

Heya,

Okay, I understand where you're coming from a bit more now. :h:

I actually went to Hull uni myself so I have a good idea of what the university there is like. :woo: It's only in recent years that it has dropped down the league table which is a shame, although league tables aren't everything and I personally wouldn't place too much emphasis on them. :h: I would also have a look at the difference in ranking and reviews of your course rather than the uni as a whole as this is more useful. Also have a look at what the courses at both universities entail and see which looks like it's more interesting to you.

I really loved Hull for similar reasons to you, nice green campus and the area around the uni is really pleasant and easy to live as a student and I had great teaching staff and a well thought out course. I'm not sure you're basing your decision on looks as much as how you feel when you're there, which is important for your personal well being and does have an affect on your studies.

It might be possible to transfer after your first year (I actually transferred to Hull after completing my first year somewhere else) but this does depend on all sorts of things like if your chosen uni has space and if the courses are similar enough. So I'd say it's a riskier option in that respect than transferring after your foundation year.

Do you think you'll have a chance to go and visit Leicester before you have to make your decision?
as a hull native I would always opt hull compared to Leicester - ive looked at both campuses and uni and whatnot too
Reply 8
Heya,

Okay, I understand where you're coming from a bit more now :h:

I actually went to Hull uni myself so I have a good idea of what the university there is like. :woo: It's only in recent years that it has dropped down the league table which is a shame, although league tables aren't everything and I personally wouldn't place too much emphasis on them. :h: I would also have a look at the difference in ranking and reviews of your course rather than the uni as a whole as this is more useful. Also have a look at what the courses at both universities entail and see which looks like it's more interesting to you.

I really loved Hull for similar reasons to you, nice green campus and the area around the uni is really pleasant and easy to live as a student and I had great teaching staff and a well thought out course. I'm not sure you're basing your decision on looks as much as how you feel when you're there, which is important for your personal well being and does have an affect on your studies.

It might be possible to transfer after your first year (I actually transferred to Hull after completing my first year somewhere else) but this does depend on all sorts of things like if your chosen uni has space and if the courses are similar enough. So I'd say it's a riskier option in that respect than transferring after your foundation year.

Do you think you'll have a chance to go and visit Leicester before you have to make your decision?

Oh wow, did not expect you to have studied at Hull as well :biggrin:
I think I need to focus more on the actual course that I applied for which is engineering. I already have an offer from Leicester so far and I am still waiting from an offer from Aston and Nottingham.

I looked at the Nottingham campus on google maps and I even think that that doesn't look as pretty as Hull's campus to be honest. The thing is I have no idea how important league tables are, I am scared that some people hold some truth when they say that they matter. I mean what if they are right?

So far I only know that the University of Hull doesn't have an engineering department, but rather an engineering school, while leicester seems more ahead of this and actually have a building and department dedicated to engineering. But I will look into it more.

Have you already graduated from Hull? And also, can I ask why you transferred from a different university to Hull?

I have visited the Leicester campus on an individual visit two days ago, I didn't get to look at the departments or the acommodation as it wasn't an actual open day. The next nearest open day at Leicester is 9th of July, but I am scared that I would have to make a firm and insurance decision before that date? :frown:

I am just so scared that if I stay in Hull, that I will tell my self "what if I transferred"? and go crazy with regret. I don't know how I feel about spending the next 4 years of my life in Hull. Like I said, I don't like the city, but I do like the university and the surrounding area. And I am worried that I will spend 4 years in the surrounding area, rather than enjoying the campus and the city if I was to live in Leicester?

I honestly don't know, I will have to look how I feel about this. The thing is as well, is that the Leicester campus is massive and the buildings are massive, I feel that the Hull campus is rather small and underwhelming sometimes, but it is very pretty.

I could potentially face the same problem with Nottingham, they might give me an offer and I would be scared to refuse because it's highly ranked?

Edit: Hull - Leicester engineering department rankings:http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?s=Mechanical+Engineering&i=1263&i=1277
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Justmoll28
as a hull native I would always opt hull compared to Leicester - ive looked at both campuses and uni and whatnot too

How did you feel about the Leicester campus overall and its surrounding areas?

I am just scared because Hull is lower in the league tables than Leicester and I feel that it's "stupid" to base my decision on how good the Hull campus looks?
How did you feel about the Leicester campus overall and its surrounding areas?

I am just scared because Hull is lower in the league tables than Leicester and I feel that it's "stupid" to base my decision on how the campus looks?

what is it you want to study?

I felt that the Leicester campus was too integrated with the town centre which may be a bit distracting or annoying (loud etc), I felt like the uni had no real defined 'place' it was more like the town centre with the uni campus on the side, I think Hull is your best bet depending on what you are studying, if you dont like the area now, how are you going to last 3 years minimum on a degree? its completely up to you but i would chose Hull
Once you step outside of the top 20 individual rankings are really pretty arbitrary.
Reply 12
Original post by Justmoll28
what is it you want to study?

I felt that the Leicester campus was too integrated with the town centre which may be a bit distracting or annoying (loud etc), I felt like the uni had no real defined 'place' it was more like the town centre with the uni campus on the side, I think Hull is your best bet depending on what you are studying, if you dont like the area now, how are you going to last 3 years minimum on a degree? its completely up to you but i would chose Hull

That's exactly how I felt about the Leicester campus after visiting it!?

I also got put off by the massive cemetery in front of the uni.
But more importantly, I felt that the surrounding area doesn't have that residential student area feel to it, it's just so busy and the train station is so close to the uni.

The thing is I am not sure whether I dislike Leicester's campus because I have gotten used to Hull and that everything just seems so unfamiliar, or because I actually genuinely dislike it.

I just feel that Leicester is a concrete jungle compared to Hull, really not what I expected :frown:

I am just scared of staying in Hull and then regretting not choosing to transfer now while I still can and hold and offer.

Owyeah I forgot to mention I already hold an offer from Leicester and I want to study engineering.

I don't know whether I should transfer now while it's easier, or next year after I complete my first year?
Also I migt get an offer from Nottingham, should I really go to nottingham just because it's highly ranked? I think nottingham campus is really dull?

Edit: Also this is why I was so hyped up about going to Leicester in the first place?:http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?i=1263&i=1277
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by maridonna
Once you step outside of the top 20 individual rankings are really pretty arbitrary.

Ahh I see, the thing is, when I looked at the complete university guide, I thought Leicester would be better overall according to this graph?:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/compare?i=1263&i=1277
I'm just saying it gets a little random/a matter of personal opinion/haphazard/whatever you want to call it outside of the top 20. Most HR depts will look at your CV, clock the uni, and then think "oooh Oxbridge! Very good", or "oh UCL/Durham/Briz/[other top 20]! Very nice", or "Hull/Reading/Liverpool/Leics! That's fine." They don't check the specific ranking. Hull and Leics are both perfectly respectable redbrick institutes. I'm not saying ranking shouldn't be a factor in choice, because of course it is important. But, in this particular instance, based on the info you have given, I personally don't think there is *that* much tangible dif between their individual reputations to make it the sole reason for leaving. Particularly when you have said you are happy at Hull. Good luck with your decision.
Reply 15
I'm just saying it gets a little random/a matter of personal opinion/haphazard/whatever you want to call it outside of the top 20. Most HR depts will look at your CV, clock the uni, and then think "oooh Oxbridge! Very good", or "oh UCL/Durham/Briz/[other top 20]! Very nice", or "Hull/Reading/Liverpool/Leics! That's fine." They don't check the specific ranking. Hull and Leics are both perfectly respectable redbrick institutes. I'm not saying ranking shouldn't be a factor in choice, because of course it is important. But, in this particular instance, based on the info you have given, I personally don't think there is *that* much tangible dif between their individual reputations to make it the sole reason for leaving. Particularly when you have said you are happy at Hull. Good luck with your decision.

Ahh I see what you mean now, I think it's true as well. There's not that much difference between Leicester and Hull. Leicester does seem more high quality, but the campus is still rather ugly in my opinion :biggrin:.

But what about if I get an offer from Nottingham? Isn't Nottingham notoriously high ranked, like consistently in the top 20?
Yup, Notts is good. Would place it above the other two every time.
Reply 17
Yup, Notts is good. Would place it above the other two every time.

I don't know if this sounds stupid, but the campus looks very dull and boring?
It's just surrounded by fields of grass and there are no shops in sight?

But the campus looks huge though, but honestly I don't know much about it.

What's so good about Nottingham? Is it the ranking, the campus, the facilities?
Never been to the campus so can't help you there. The uni itself is consistently well rated and very well regarded. I know a few people who've studied there and they all really enjoyed it. Quite a good music scene in the city apparently if that's your thing. Put it this way, if you're looking to swap Hull for somewhere more academically prestigious then it makes more sense to move to Notts than to Leics. But if you're undecided (which you seem to be) and you're happy where you are then I would just stay there and concentrate on getting a good degree. If you move somewhere else, don't get on well, and it ends up affecting your work, then you're going to be kicking yourself in a couple of years time. Good luck!
Reply 19
Never been to the campus so can't help you there. The uni itself is consistently well rated and very well regarded. I know a few people who've studied there and they all really enjoyed it. Quite a good music scene in the city apparently if that's your thing. Put it this way, if you're looking to swap Hull for somewhere more academically prestigious then it makes more sense to move to Notts than to Leics. But if you're undecided (which you seem to be) and you're happy where you are then I would just stay there and concentrate on getting a good degree. If you move somewhere else, don't get on well, and it ends up affecting your work, then you're going to be kicking yourself in a couple of years time. Good luck!

Yeah definitely makes sense.
I think I'll make an individual visit to Nottingham before I have to make a firm and insurance choice. I don't think I can make it on the open days, because I will have to make my firm and insurance offers before I go.

I might visit Leicester again, I like how big the campus buildings are and some of them are quite pretty, but others are frankly quite ugly 80's style concrete buildings, still not sold on it overall.

But yeah thanks for the advice and support :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply